Opinion Mick Malthouse

What is the next move on Mick?

• Sack him immediately; replacement coach to see out the year.

Votes: 192 48.9%
  • Let him coach out the year then show him the door.

Votes: 70 17.8%
  • Sign him now to give coaches and players some direction.

Votes: 81 20.6%
  • Not sure yet... still too angry to think clearly.

Votes: 50 12.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It really does look like the players aren't playing for him, which surprises me, after the last half of last season.

No, the problem isn't Mick, its just that collectively our (senior core of) players are a bunch of lazy, self-absorbed cry babies who already cost a good man his job in Ratten for not being willing to do the hard yards and run both ways, get their hands dirty and constantly perform week in, week out.

Case in point Lachie Henderson, kicks 4 goals one week (against a team of witches hats) then does zilch against a much stronger opponent the next.

And people actually think Mick is the problem
Get real, if it was possible, I'd jettison 20 players from the list at season's end (the core group of players that white-anted Ratts)

I'd get rid of Hendo whilst his currency is highest (besides I don't think he will re-sign) a first round pick and Aaron Black from North Melbourne would suit me, think Black can still play good footy, its just that he has to be ex-norfacized ..

When a core playing group fails 2 coaches on the space of 4/5 years, its obvious that there is something rotten to the core about those players.

How the hell can Bryce Gibbs look Mick in the eye after that frigid performance on Friday night. Gibbs is on very thin ice.

The same group of players will let down the next coach if massive changes aren't made, which is why I'm rapt we got rid of a bum like Robinson and unreliable (but so much potential) in Waite.

Mick knows exactly who the plonkers are who just don't perform on a weekly basis, that's why I think he should stay on as coach (outdated game plan or not, be damned)

Case in point, Jeremy Laidler, he was garbage yesterday against Footscray, the consensus is he was worst on ground, he'll be dropped this week like a ton of bricks.

And people complain that Mick should have kept him ? LOL

The players had this footy club have gotten away with so many bad habits for so long, we have to do a Melbourne/St Kilda type full cleanout, and if we win another spoon or two, well that's the price we pay to fix the rotting culture at our club

A question for you, DVB:

Is Mick performing?

Not at this stage of the season, but you got to take a look at the big picture. He won a flag only 4 years ago. His game plan is a proven premiership winner in the modern era.

I keep alluding to the fact its the same bunch of older players who let Ratts down, that are doing the same to Mick.

If we're going to replace Micj, fine, but also we have to get rid of those coach killing players who have let this club down, time after time. I am critical of Mick of bringing in Liam Jones, but it was understandable, we had to let Waite go, and the Dogs gazzumped us for Tom Boyd, you put Boyd into our team instead of Jones, we'd possibly be 3-2 (or at the very least 2-3)

At least Mick is playing more kids now, and his development of Patrick Cripps has been wonderful.

There are perfectly legitimate reasons for people wanting Mick replaced, but at the sane token, this list has to be blown up (a US pro sports term) and players who have harnessed bad habits/unable to perform on a consistent basis, need to be shown the door as well, other the cycle will repeat itself, and we will be looking for another coach in 2019/20.

Its essential that we have to start with (nearly) a blank canvas with regards to our playing list in 2016, don't think it really matters who is the coach.

I would be happy to sign mick for the next 5 years as long as he sees this out.

Maybe the assistants need to be moved on ?

And we do what's required to get the best possible people and players to our club

Not at this stage of the season, but you got to take a look at the big picture. He won a flag only 4 years ago. His game plan is a proven premiership winner in the modern era.

Ok well I take the view he isn't performing. To some extent we can blame the senior players for not stepping up. At the same time I see little evidence of a Plan B on match days and I'm bloody mystified why Nick Graham, despite killing it every single week in the 2s can't get a game in our SHIT midfield.

The argument about winning a flag this decade, I'm sorry doesn't cut it for me. Pagan coached premierships in 1996 and 1999. That didn't stop him from being the worst coach in our history.

How deflating it must have been for the players, when they were told Both Woods and Warnock were in.

Cmon Boys The Barbed wire Canoe is Ready....

Oh for God's sake.

If the players had a problem with Knockers and Wood in the same team, that's an indictment on them and their character, not Mick.

The Mick Out brigade really are using the flimsiest excuse to bash Mick.

He deserves better (from the fanbase and the media)

When we finish next season 4-18 under a new coach, we'll hear the predictable 'why did we sakc Mick' back peddling.

I keep alluding to the fact its the same bunch of older players who let Ratts down, that are doing the same to Mick.

If we're going to replace Micj, fine, but also we have to get rid of those coach killing players who have let this club down, time after time. I am critical of Mick of bringing in Liam Jones, but it was understandable, we had to let Waite go, and the Dogs gazzumped us for Tom Boyd, you put Boyd into our team instead of Jones, we'd possibly be 3-2 (or at the very least 2-3)

At least Mick is playing more kids now, and his development of Patrick Cripps has been wonderful.

There are perfectly legitimate reasons for people wanting Mick replaced, but at the sane token, this list has to be blown up (a US pro sports term) and players who have harnessed bad habits/unable to perform on a consistent basis, need to be shown the door as well, other the cycle will repeat itself, and we will be looking for another coach in 2019/20.

Its essential that we have to start with (nearly) a blank canvas with regards to our playing list in 2016, don't think it really matters who is the coach.

Did he or is Patrick Cripps one of those kids that will do whatever to get the best out of himself by hiring running coach during off season after Judd advised him on what he needed to improve his game??
Same with Nick Grahams, Ellards, Buckleys always in the gym doing extras etc...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oh for God's sake.

If the players had a problem with Knockers and Wood in the same team, that's an indictment on them and their character, not Mick.

When we finish next season 4-18 under a new coach, we'll hear the predictable 'why did we sakc Mick' back peddling.

:rolleyes:

Oh for God's sake.

You can't tell me that you didn't have an internal groan when you heard Wood and Warnock were both playing. The rest of the players are only human, I could understand it if they'd feel a touch of dread when they heard the news too. The combination immediately put us at an undeniable disadvantage around the ground.

Most of the posters here are well aware that we need a rebuild, and I'd like to give them enough credit to suggest that this also means they're savvy enough to know that this means we won't be playing finals next year, or the year after that for that matter. We either need to back Mick in for 5 years to rebuild it or get a new coach, and allow him 5 years to do the same.

Ok well I take the view he isn't performing. To some extent we can blame the senior players for not stepping up. At the same time I see little evidence of a Plan B on match days and I'm bloody mystified why Nick Graham, despite killing it every single week in the 2s can't get a game in our SHIT midfield.

The argument about winning a flag this decade, I'm sorry doesn't cut it for me. Pagan coached premierships in 1996 and 1999. That didn't stop him from being the worst coach in our history.
Had a really good chat with a senior AFL coach not long ago, and he was saying how ridiculous it is how much the game changes. He said every 6 months every clubs plan before the season is found out, and they have to change it again.

5 years is an eternity in when it comes to AFL tactics.

The game plan has never changed, win the center bounce take the ball straight down the middle corridor, put it through the big stiicks,.
Very simple , it takes courage and vision, strong ledership on the ground and in the coachiing box.
We need a unified direction from the top, more quality players given proper mentoring and development .
We've a long way to go to get to the top of the ladder were we belong.
Ciao

You can't tell me that you didn't have an internal groan when you heard Wood and Warnock were both playing. The rest of the players are only human, I could understand it if they'd feel a touch of dread when they heard the news too. The combination immediately put us at an undeniable disadvantage around the ground.

Most of the posters here are well aware that we need a rebuild, and I'd like to give them enough credit to suggest that this also means they're savvy enough to know that this means we won't be playing finals next year, or the year after that for that matter. We either need to back Mick in for 5 years to rebuild it or get a new coach, and allow him 5 years to do the same.

I politely disagree, yeah wasn't that happy when Knockers was a late change, but players are a different beast to fans, they should be professional enough not to let their feelings about Warnock or any other player named in the side.

Ironically I believe Warnock is one of the most popular players in the playing group at the club, has a reputation as a big, loveable clutz with a great sense of humour ..

As for Mick, yeah I would prefer it if he went on, and also wouldn't be against having a new coach in 2016, but MLG needs to hold his nerve, and follow through what he promised, that Mick is safe to the end of the season and then a proper review is conducted on every member of the football tonight ..

This club must not be seen to bow to the vocal, malcontent fans who want Mick sacked right now, that would be the sign of a weak board.

I understand why people want a new coach, but wish they could be more civil/respectful towards Mick, some of the harsh words directed to him here is downright insulting, Mick wants Carlton to be successful as the rest of us, its been a rough year for him personally with his wife's health issues, I believe he should be cut some slack.

I apologise if a few of my earlier posts I came across as surly/brusque, but I passionately believe in what Mick is trying to build at our club, and I firmly believe, if Kruezer comes back and stays healthy, we will be a much more competitive outfit.

Everyone is fully entitled to their opinion, I just feel Mick's copping an unfair whack from all corners (media, fans etc)

I'd like to hear someone name 5 players that have improved under mick. Every week I'm finding it hard to put a case forward to save Mick. Young, new coaches are proving the way to go in the AFL. It's over mick, sorry pal.

I'd like to hear someone name 5 players that have improved under mick. Every week I'm finding it hard to put a case forward to save Mick. Young, new coaches are proving the way to go in the AFL. It's over mick, sorry pal.

Essendon players
Collingwood players
St Kilda players for half a game
Tiger Players

Cripps and Docherty but they are the types to get the most out of themselves any way

I'll tell you exactly what has improved under Malthouse - his bank account.
He was brought in to get Carlton up to the next level - NOT down a few levels. THAT Was his contract. THAT is what he PROMISED.
He has failed - miserably on a number of fronts.
If the Club wants to now change strategy - THEN the Club must go through a PROCESS to see whether Malthouse is the man for the new strategy.

I don't think infesting the Club with Collingwood has beens will be part of a new strategy. I don't think 'Knockers' on $400k pa will be part of a new strategy. I don't think promoting and overpaying 'entitled' softies will be part of a new strategy. I don't think Wood/Buttifant/Green/Barker will be part of a new strategy.

Time to complete the clean out.

I'll tell you exactly what has improved under Malthouse - his bank account.
He was brought in to get Carlton up to the next level - NOT down a few levels. THAT Was his contract. THAT is what he PROMISED.
He has failed - miserably on a number of fronts.
If the Club wants to now change strategy - THEN the Club must go through a PROCESS to see whether Malthouse is the man for the new strategy.

I don't think infesting the Club with Collingwood has beens will be part of a new strategy. I don't think 'Knockers' on $400k pa will be part of a new strategy. I don't think promoting and overpaying 'entitled' softies will be part of a new strategy. I don't think Wood/Buttifant/Green/Barker will be part of a new strategy.

Time to complete the clean out.
I think that is a very good and salient point JustaBattler .

MM was not bought to the club to rebuild at all , it was to move us up to top 4. The prevailing wisdom at the time was we were only a top-up player and a good coach away from being a real contender. Clearly those who made that decision have been shown to be totally out of touch.

Given our list, realistically how long would it take to improve the team to be competitive and a top 8 team. Our recruiting and use of draft picks will be critical over the next 4 years in rebuilding the team.

Not sure bringing in a new young coach would do better or worse than MM in rebuilding the team over the next 3 or 4 years, but I wouldn't mind a longer term strategy of chasing the best coach (either Ross Lyon or Clarkson) in 3 or 4 years time.

Kernahan/Pratts/Mathieson and a bunch of other second rate nobodies infesting a Board - which no one of any substance would want to part of - with an ex Collingwood CEO peddling old boy crapola ....in a21st century corporatised and institutionalised world - Carlton continued to embrace and suck up to corporate criminals and scum like Edelstein - and still does.

Fossils living in the past ( a past which they as a Board had NOTHING to do with ex Kernahan who was a willing puppet providing a semeblence of credibility to these backroom boofs) wanting to hire mercenaries to do a quick fix job - so that they can get credit for being smart.

So many player selection and development fails it beggars belief. Thinking that #1 picks is something to be proud of - and advertising guaranteed success on the back of these #1's while shoving them down people's throats in old boy nuff nuff marketing campaigns year after year after year.

A crap culture is built overtime - it doesn't happen overnight.

Fortunately, fixing this shyte isn't as hard as people might think. The fix will be on when we see Pratt and Mathieson mules OFF the Board - along with their cronies and third rate nobodies - unless and until this happens we are not at ground zero.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back