Mid-season Draft discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Only one source has linked us with Moyle. I doubt clarko is playing games with the LTI and sicily. We will likely take one player and that will likely be newcombe. If he is our man and we rate him very highly, why not agree to what is 3 years a pretty standard ND drafter term? We keep him cost controlled for four years so that if he breaks out in the second half of the year we don't have to pay up for his next contract 🤷‍♂️

What are you thinking? There is better players available or to many young talls up fwd already?
He is Jordan lisle. Ppl who watch sa footy on the draft board say he has kicked his bags against the two worst sides. Against stiffer competition he hasn't had much of a sniff. He's overrated

What are you thinking? There is better players available or to many young talls up fwd already?
I don’t think his game will translate to AFL. I’m not even sure it translates well to sanfl when he is playing against good opposition. Lacks the athleticism required. It’s why he got passed over and why it will be pies or no one in the msd.

Cant wait for the melts if Newcombe gets picked up by an interstate club. 😂
And the same people then saying oh he's not that good anyway he's just a VFL standard player. 😂
At this stage it purely looks like we don't have huge interest in multiple players, hope that changes.

Only one source has linked us with Moyle. I doubt clarko is playing games with the LTI and sicily. We will likely take one player and that will likely be newcombe. If he is our man and we rate him very highly, why not agree to what is 3 years a pretty standard ND drafter term? We keep him cost controlled for four years so that if he breaks out in the second half of the year we don't have to pay up for his next contract 🤷‍♂️
Look i am not going to claim our rebuild is make or break on this but it just doesn't make much sense.

Look at the amount of AFL listed players that dominate VFL footy but look completely lost at AFL level. Is the club really convinced Newcombe is an AFL quality player based off VFL footy?

Giving him 3 years seems like a bigger risk than it has to be a reward.

If he comes in and dominates and becomes some star we have to pay up for i am totally fine with that, you can absolutely cop it. If he is another VFL plodder and we have him on our list for 3 more years following this year that is not great.

The only way it makes any sense is if we want him but want to take someone else at 2. Messaging from the club doesn't make that sound all that likely though.

Someone at the club make the right decision and place Sicily on the LTI list.

Studies into ACL recovery, in relation to elite athletes, show that an 18 month recovery period vastly decreases any chance of re-injury or complications - as opposed to a typical 12 month recovery.

We have nothing to gain by bringing Sicily back for a game or two at the end of the season, but potentially a lot to lose. So make the smart decision and play the long game - put Sicily on the list and bring in a youngster that could turn out to be a gem. We have enough players to be cut at the end of the year already, so he'll hardly be taking anyone's spot.

Someone at the club make the right decision and place Sicily on the LTI list.

Studies into ACL recovery, in relation to elite athletes, show that an 18 month recovery period vastly decreases any chance of re-injury or complications - as opposed to a typical 12 month recovery.

We have nothing to gain by bringing Sicily back for a game or two at the end of the season, but potentially a lot to lose. So make the smart decision and play the long game - put Sicily on the list and bring in a youngster that could turn out to be a gem. We have enough players to be cut at the end of the year already, so he'll hardly be taking anyone's spot.
Sicily has himself said he’s not playing this year. Just need the club to officially place him on the LTI list

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Look i am not going to claim our rebuild is make or break on this but it just doesn't make much sense.

Look at the amount of AFL listed players that dominate VFL footy but look completely lost at AFL level. Is the club really convinced Newcombe is an AFL quality player based off VFL footy?

Giving him 3 years seems like a bigger risk than it has to be a reward.

If he comes in and dominates and becomes some star we have to pay up for i am totally fine with that, you can absolutely cop it. If he is another VFL plodder and we have him on our list for 3 more years following this year that is not great.

The only way it makes any sense is if we want him but want to take someone else at 2. Messaging from the club doesn't make that sound all that likely though.
And it's supposedly a National Draft stacked with midfielders & somewhat bereft of talls.

We're (at this point) walking into the ND with a Top 3 Pick & 2x Picks in the low 20's. We'd be mad to select a project midfielder now when genuine ruck option/s are available, when midfielders will be prevalent at our ND picks. There's a couple of ruck options on our list that need to be not on our list, but that doesn't happen unless we bring new one/s in.

He did say “at this stage” so don’t stress too much just yet. But yes, if this is the case and we don’t take 2 picks then that might be Clarkos final nail in the coffin for mine. I mean what’s to lose picking a gun state league player with our second, worse case scenario he’s similar to a Phillips/cousins etc
We have list management who decide this stuff, Clarkos say on the strategy would be minimal.

It would be interesting to know how Edwards went in that first game listed against Moyle

April 5 – Chargers v Sandringham Dragons – 31 hitouts, 10 disposals
April 10 – Chargers v Eastern Ranges – 34 hitouts, six disposals
April 18 –Chargers v Western Jets – 18 hitouts, 11 disposals
April 24 – AFL Academy v Geelong VFL – 13 hitouts, 11 disposals
April 30 – Collingwood VFL v Gold Coast – 11 hitouts, nine disposals
May 8 – Collingwood VFL v Coburg – 19 hitouts, 17 disposals
May 15 – Collingwood VFL v Sydney – 23 hitouts, eight disposals
May 22 – Chargers v Murray Bushrangers – 23 hitouts, 19 disposals

Moyle named in best and edwards 2 goals.

It would be interesting to know how Edwards went in that first game listed against Moyle

April 5 – Chargers v Sandringham Dragons – 31 hitouts, 10 disposals

Last edited:
What makes you say that?

It's mostly to be funny/contrary, but think of this: we seem to be interested in only one player. If North takes that player then a realistic outcome is we take nobody. Just saying that all scenarios are on the table. Looking forward to seeing what happens.

In two days hoping to see two new posts welcoming Moyle or Maher and Jai.
I agree with the Maher and Newcomb
In two days hoping to see two new posts welcoming Moyle or Maher and Jai.
I'm hoping for Maher and Newcomb, and won't be disappointed either way with Moyle as a pick.
Mitchell's support for Newcomb is enough for me. Mitchell knows more about footy than anyone on this site and sees the guy every day so to give him wraps like that says to me he'll be a player.
Moyle looks ok, but I think the game is trending towards mobile rucks that can go forward and get midfielder number and Moyle doesn't look that player and nor does Reeves TBH so 1 young true No. one ruck on the list is enough for me, and maybe look at an experienced ruck once Ceglar and BB are off the list. I think with the cut in soft cap most club will minimize the number of rucks as it will be a luxury to have a designated ruck coach, though I think Monkey still maintains that role with HFC.
Maher just looks like a player who might develop into something. He's worth a punt.
All just my opinions. The actual draft if our ticket out of the mire, this is a chance to get a little head start.

Remove this Banner Ad

Mid-season Draft discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back