Round 16 – Adelaide (AAMI Stadium)
Round 17 – Geelong (Subiaco Oval)
Round 18 – West Coast (Subiaco Oval)
Round 19 – Essendon (Subiaco Oval)
Round 20 – St Kilda (Telstra Dome)
Round 21 – Melbourne (Subiaco Oval)
Round 22 – Port Adelaide (AAMI Stadium)
Ladder position: 11th

Leading possession winner: Peter Bell (277 possessions)

Leading goalkicker: Matthew Pavlich (37 goals)

Season so far
The club’s played its first ever preliminary final last year and big things were expected in 2007 with the addition of experienced campaigners Dean Solomon and Chris Tarrant.
But the Dockers lost the opening game of the season at home to Port Adelaide, then went down to Essendon and arch rival West Coast to start the season at 0-3 and haven’t recovered since.
Having said that, they sit two games outside the four at the halfway mark, with a relatively favourable run home.
It travels to Adelaide twice and to Sydney, but six of the last 10 games are in Perth.
Fremantle should account for Carlton, Kangaroos, Essendon and Melbourne, but will need to put in big performances on the road and at home against Geelong to win enough to make the eight.
Jeff Farmer’s creativity up-forward has been missed through a club-imposed suspension, while too many players have found themselves on the sideline suspended. Overall, they’ve fallen well short of lofty expectations they set pre-season.

Best win
Three of Fremantle’s wins came over injury ravaged Melbourne and St Kilda and the winless Tigers, so its best have been over finals contenders Hawthorn and Adelaide, both at Subiaco.
The game against Adelaide in round five only saw 15 goals kicked for the day in an ugly, scrappy affair, but Fremantle’s win over Hawthorn was impressive in round seven.
The Hawks have proven themselves so far this season a genuine finals prospect, and after being down by 14 points at quarter-time, Fremantle responded to record a 16-point win on the back of a disastrous trip to Brisbane.

Best goal so far
Former Brisbane Lions premiership player Des Headland had a controversial first half of 2007, but when he’s on song, there are still few players as dangerous in the competition.
He kicked five goals against Richmond in round 11, and has provided plenty for the highlight reel with 15 goals for the season, but none was better than his effort in round six against his former side.
Headland was tucked up on the boundary, but with his non-preferred left foot managed to nail an inspirational goal.
David Mundy’s running long bomb from outside 50 in the round-three western derby also deserves an honourable mention.

Best and fairest leader
Perhaps predictably, captain Matthew Pavlich and former captain Peter Bell have led the way again for Fremantle so far this season.
After a slowish start, Bell has moved back to his customary midfield role, and as well as being the club’s top possession winner with 277, has also kicked 12 goals. He has led from the front in all areas, but needs more consistent help.
The heat has been on Pavlich of late, and his kicking has been a little shaky, but he has still kicked 37 goals in 12 games and is a potential match-winner every time he takes the field.
The pressure will be on in the second half of the season as Port Adelaide and Adelaide push for him to come home with his contract up.

Surprise packet
Roger Hayden’s AFL career looked finished when he broke his leg in 2004 and struggled for form in fitness in the WAFL with South Fremantle in 2005, despite playing in the Bulldogs’ premiership.
He fought back to play 16 games last year, and has taken his game to another level this season in defence.
Not only has he been able to stop numerous clever forwards, but his creativity and run from half-back is as good as anyone in the AFL.

Coaches’ award (one-percenter player)
He sneaks under everyone’s radar in defence, but Antoni Grover has emerged as the club’s top key defender and has had a great season.
He’s now well ahead of veteran Shane Parker and the injury-plagued Robert Haddrill, and is often given the job on the opposition’s biggest threat ahead of other defenders Steven Dodd, Michael Johnson and Scott Thornton.
Grover usually gives up size, but is strong, battles hard and is having the best of his nine seasons with Fremantle.

Second-half story lines
Will Jeff Farmer return to the side after his club-imposed suspension is up in round 13? His last WAFL game for South Fremantle saw him collect 25 possessions, kick four goals and set up another 10 in a best on ground display.
Will games record holder Shane Parker force his way back into the side in what looks to be his final season?
After making the preliminary final in 2006, can Fremantle produce an equally impressive second half of 2007 to make the finals?
Will coach Chris Connolly see out the season?

I haven't read your post.
Only scrolled down to see how long it is.
Seems a lot of wasted time to me.

When are you toasters going to understand 'We dont care what you think !'

I'm sure the supporters of the other 14 clubs are sitting on the edge of their seats waiting for happy eagles appraisal of their season. :rolleyes:

It's pretty arrogant to assume that people are keen to read your opinion. By all means post in a current thread, but starting 16 threads to tell people your opinion is ridiculous, whether it's an eagle, saint, crow or docker dishing them out.

Wow, did you put that all together yourself? You are really good at analysis. It is almost like you copied it off the AFL.com website and have passed it off as your own.

Did you manage to copy the authors name when you posted it...no you did not. The only name next to your post is your name. So in fact you did put your name on it.

my parents didnt call me happy eagle

this article was written by chris pike, and not me

i have no intentions of becoming chris pike or stealing his identity .

i apologise to chris for any inconvenience it has caused his life, and i hope that he can put this behind him, and continue to write enthralling articles about ben cousins

OK...that's nice for you. On Big Footy happy_eagle is your name. If you don't like it get a new account.

So why not put that somewhere in the post? Seems like a decent thing to do rather than taking implicitly credit for others work.

Never said you did, you just like getting credit for his hard work

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showpost.php?p=7836990&postcount=4

i apologise to chris for any inconvenience it has caused his life, and i hope that he can put this behind him, and continue to write enthralling articles about ben cousins

Obviously you don't get the point, but the sarcasm is top shelf.

So an opposition supporter comes on and doesnt bag Fremantle yet we still give him the ass.

Happy Eagle - good post I could tell you didnt write it from the start, was a good read.

The good Cap'n is spot on.

Very poor form lifting someone elses work with no link or credit to the author.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree with most of what was written except for one part-

"Overall, they’ve fallen well short of lofty expectations they set pre-season"

He got bagged at the start of the year for saying our focus was to make the 8, but thats all CC ever said, it was the media that said we were premiership favourites, not the club.

He got bagged at the start of the year for saying our focus was to make the 8, but thats all CC ever said, it was the media that said we were premiership favourites, not the club.

they also said we had great depth but i couldn't see that either

Thats very true...

Your a smug little slime supporter , aint 'cha;):eek:.
Representing your mob very well here in the Fremantle board.

they also said we had great depth but i couldn't see that either
if you havent got depth now you never will.you blokes have 28 players who turn 23 this yr thru to players who turn 28 this yr. in effect 28 players in your middle tier. throw in the 6 senior players 29+ that gives you 34 players in total the vast majority of which you would say are experienced. this leaves just 15 developmental players including rookies. you want to hope you achieve your goals this yr or the the next or i would say you are in trouble. with a list like this your window is now but its closing.

C+? bit generous I would have thought, given the quality of the list and where they finished last season. Still, you were in the same position last year and it didn't end up too bad!

Remove this Banner Ad

Mid Season Report: Fremantle

Remove this Banner Ad

Back