Might we see an all WA or all NSW Grand Final?

Remove this Banner Ad

A freo-sydney GF is clearly on the cards.

The other two teams are not gonna get close to a GF, not this year at least... In fact its too early to call either team a lock for the 8 just yet.

Gold Coast was travelling every bit as well last year at this stage as GWS is this year.
Nope. GC were still largely dependent on Ablett. There's no one player at the Giants that if you took out everything would fall apart. They have a hell of a lot more depth.

What?

And who cares. People forget that the Eagles belted teams at the end of last season as well and only just missed on top 8 because Sydney wanted Richmond to make the 8.

Belted shit teams that had already given up the ghost; Collingwood, Melbourne and Gold Coast. Didn't beat a single top 8 team all year.

Given I support WCE, count Sydney and GWS as my 2nd teams, and arguably have Freo the 4th closest to my heart, I am pretty over the moon with the ladder right now, particularly given we are more than 1/3 of the way through H&A. If the top 4 didn't change, 2015 would instantly become a contender for my favourite season of all-time (and 2006 already was about as good as it gets for me). Only another GF loss for Lyon would dampen proceedings.

Realistically though, no. GWS at best are in a Hawthorn 2007 state of readiness. Winning this year would be nothing short of a phenomenon. West Coast also remain vulnerable and their top 4 prospects are still in the beginning stages. You can't lock them in for September quite yet. A Sydney-Freo GF would be amazing though, that has been one of my favourite H2Hs in recent years, particularly their April encounters.

Nope. GC were still largely dependent on Ablett. There's no one player at the Giants that if you took out everything would fall apart. They have a hell of a lot more depth.

I would suggest that is a benefit of retrospect call. O'Meara was looking like the next midfield superstar (he might still be). Swallow and Prestia were genuine AA contenders. Tom Lynch was kicking bags. Zac Smith and Tom Nicholls were going to be the dominant ruck tandem in the league. Rory Thompson and Steven May were emerging as key defenders. Bennell had just returned and was on fire. Kolodjashnij was living up to the hype. Jack Martin (whom many were expecting to be the best 2014 debutant by far) was about to come back.

Ablett was (and is) miles better than anything GWS has, but considering the weapons he had around him, I think that's a good thing. We saw just how far Gold Coast got when Ablett had little support in the first couple of years, so I'd say it's self-evident that wasn't the case in the early parts of 2014.

They wouldn't want to lose Mumford for an extended period.

Can't see the Giants losing a game until round 18 against Fremantle at Domain Stadium, which should secure a top 4 spot. Any team that finishes top 4 are a chance to play on the 1st Saturday in October.

West Coast's fixture gets a bit tougher from now but with 6 wins already in the bank they are near certainties to play in the finals. A top 4 finish would be a stretch though.

Right now I would have Fremantle, Hawthorn, Sydney and the Giants finishing top 4, and the other 4 being fought out between West Coast, North Melbourne, Port Adelaide, Collingwood, Essendon, Adelaide & Geelong.

Can't see it this year but I would love seeing big derbys in GFs. A Showdown GF? Yes please! WCE vs Freo? I am there! Would be lovely to see

That said, I had a friend of mine say "Hawks had to beat Port because we can't have 2 interstate teams in the GF again" last year which nearly made me sick...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1. Fre
2. Syd
3. GWS
4. WCE
5. Haw
6. Port
7. Crows
8. North

WA, Sydney, Adelaide and Tassie Derbies all in the first week!

Fri N - Fre v WC - DS
Sat - Syd v GWS - ANZ
Sat N - Port v Crows - AO
Sun - Haw v North - MCG

It would be the first time since 1989 that no side travels interstate in the first week.
First time under the Final 8 (either version).

Last edited:
Sun - Haw v North - MCG

They should play that here.

2270097529_e695e4840b.jpg

Nice neutral Tasmanian venue.

Why do people rate WCE so highly? They're a decent side that is a good chance at finishing 7th-8th, but they're not a flag threat...

Really, apart from Fremantle (who comfortably beat them), Sydney (who I'd pick to beat them right now) and Hawthorn (same as Sydney, all things being equal), on current form, who is categorically better than West Coast at the moment? They've beaten Port Adelaide in Adelaide, and had a close loss against the Bulldogs in Melbourne back in Round 1 (which really could have gone either way), and will go in next week as favourites against Geelong at home, too.

Given their upcoming schedule (their games against Sydney and Hawthorn will be in Perth, too), the Eagles could forseeably go 11-3 the rest of the way, which would put them on 17 wins, which is usually top 4 (even top 2) stuff.

Last edited:
Let's hope for a all interstate GF
Then the Vic clubs can have acadamies as well.

Or we can cull the useless ones like norf

Really, apart from Fremantle (who comfortably beat them), Sydney (who I'd pick to beat them right now) and Hawthorn (same as Sydney, all things being equal), on current form, who is categorically better than West Coast at the moment? They've beaten Port Adelaide in Adelaide, and had a close loss against the Bulldogs in Melbourne back in Round 1 (which really could have gone either way), and will go in next week as favourites against Geelong at home, too.

Given their upcoming schedule (their games against Sydney and Hawthorn will be in Perth, too), the Eagles could forseeably go 11-3 the rest of the way, which would put them on 17 wins, which is usually top 4 (even top 2) stuff.
We will have to wait and see how West Coast go against top teams this season.

Let's hope for a all interstate GF
Then the Vic clubs can have acadamies as well.
I can't wait for the year all non Vic clubs are in the 8 and watch the whole state melt down and break away back to the VFL

The sheer fact we use the term "interstate team" in a national competition is sad

Where do you draw the line though. We beat Adelaide in that end of year run of wins who would have made finals had they won.

Pretty clearly the line was drawn at the top 8.

Plus the post I quoted was claiming that people forget that West Coast belted sides at the end of the season. No one forgot, just the teams they belted finished 11th, 12th and 17th.

We will have to wait and see how West Coast go against top teams this season.

That's the thing, I really think there's only three true top teams this season (Fremantle, Sydney, Hawthorn), and a bunch of teams (of which West Coast is leading the way ATM) who could finish anywhere from 4th-12th depending on injuries, form and the performances of those around them. If the Eagles can show they're they're better than those around their level (and on current form I think they can), they'll deservedly finish top 4.

Remove this Banner Ad

Might we see an all WA or all NSW Grand Final?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back