Toast Milestone Man: Andrew Gaff 100 Games

Remove this Banner Ad

Must admit, a few years ago I didn't rate Gaff, thought he was too soft and one-dimensional and while those things will always be questions hanging over his game he's proven ridiculously valuable to the side in the last year and a half

You see weaker sides when things aren't going their way start bombing it long coz they don't have any options - the kicker is always criticised but this is always a product of there being no movement in front of them.

This is Gaffs biggest addition to the team - he is always running running running to provide that option and make that space, whether it be a handball running past or a switch across the wing - he makes his teammates better and his disposal is so good that you want it in his.hands anyway.

Really has to stand up against hawks pies swans and freo for us to win any of those games.

077039-eagles-win.jpg

Shuey one week, Gaff the next... But really this picture is all about that epic jumper!

Poppy

Fair effort for a pick 66
He was a mature age recruit, so I refuse to count him.

Ted Richards missed with a concussion on the weekend, so Gaff moved up one spot on the current most consecutive games played list: http://afltables.com/afl/stats/succgames.html.

Petrie is the only bloke ahead of him, and he got cited I think for a strike on the weekend. Probably won't miss, though.

Congrats to the kid. Obviously I have a lot of man love for the kid and glad we got him when we did in the 2010 draft over the Mumma's boy Jared Polec.

Having a strong season and continuing the trend of top #3 midfielders after Mainy and Juddy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think number 9 laughs at that.

It's an interesting point you make. There was a topic on the main board recently what is the best/ most successful number at your club.

I think #3 with Mainy, Judd and Gaff (only players to wear #3, was shelved in 00 - 01 and 08 - 10) beats out the #9 of Peter Wilson, Cousins, Nic Nat plus Glen O'Loughlin, Brent Hutton and Brayden Lyle.

He was a mature age recruit, so I refuse to count him.

Ted Richards missed with a concussion on the weekend, so Gaff moved up one spot on the current most consecutive games played list: http://afltables.com/afl/stats/succgames.html.

Petrie is the only bloke ahead of him, and he got cited I think for a strike on the weekend. Probably won't miss, though.
Petrie went for a week.

Honestly I'm not a fan of the "Gaff" style of play but every team has to have an accumulator, he showed some glimpses of what it would take for me to look differently on him with some goals last weekend against Adelaide. If he can kick goals consistently then its a different "Kettle of Fish" altogether taking his game to another level and I could get excited.

It's an interesting point you make. There was a topic on the main board recently what is the best/ most successful number at your club.

I think #3 with Mainy, Judd and Gaff (only players to wear #3, was shelved in 00 - 01 and 08 - 10) beats out the #9 of Peter Wilson, Cousins, Nic Nat plus Glen O'Loughlin, Brent Hutton and Brayden Lyle.
By the end of NN and gaffs careers I would say 9 would be in the lead. Cuz is our best ever.

Honestly I'm not a fan of the "Gaff" style of play but every team has to have an accumulator, he showed some glimpses of what it would take for me to look differently on him with some goals last weekend against Adelaide. If he can kick goals consistently then its a different "Kettle of Fish" altogether taking his game to another level and I could get excited.

I don't think you can overstate how valuable his style of play is to the team. The sheer distance he covers throughout a game makes him so hard to match up on - not to mention his precise kicking and his smart positioning. He's not just an accumulator, he's arguably the best wingman in the league this season.

Tough crowd.

Has gotten a few hard ball gets and has added some goal kicking nous to his arsenal. Looking a very good player to compliment any midfield.

Please no, he can stay with our midfield thank you very much. Totally agree with other posters - so happy when the ball is in his hands. Rarely misses a target.

Are we still worried he will pack up and head home? Hopefully he gets a Brownlow and a Norm Smith with us before he considers that.

you aren't a fan of hard running, goal kicking wingman?

Explains a fair bit about you actually.

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast Milestone Man: Andrew Gaff 100 Games

Remove this Banner Ad

Back