Mega Thread Minnesota Timberwolves Thread - The Finch Era begins

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm really curious to see what Thibs does with Bazz. On the one hand I feel he could get a lot out of him, but the other part of me thinks he'll be like, "NOPE," and trade him immediately.

Bazz is a RFA next summer (2017). Not sure we'd get much for him.

Shop Bazz around with highlights of that GWS game. Should get something for him.

Wont be stressed if he leaves. Dieng is an interesting one, I'd be happy to have as a backup centre but he's going to be expected to be paid very well on the FA market after next season so he may be one that you have to trade whilst he currently has value. He's a #5, no future at #4, and that position is locked down for the next 15 years by KAT.

Prospects we've apparently interviewed in Chicago (that I've seen mentioned around the place):
  • Ben Bentil (defensive minded PF/C)
  • Wade Baldwin (perimeter shooting PG)
  • Tyler Ulis (ball-handling PG)
  • Jaylen Brown (athletic wing)
  • Malcolm Brogdon (ready-made SG)
  • Jalen Moore [he has an afro that's all that matters (also a SF)]
  • Jakob Poeltl (paint-operating C)
  • Stephen Zimmerman (versatile C)

Any trade would be for an established player, ideally someone who can start at PF. 2 for 1 deal would be bad from a list view because there's already 11 contracts for next season. Doesn't allow a lot of movement to sign FA's.

Jerry Zgoda held a live chat earlier and had some interesting things to say:

Q: What are the chances the No. 5 pick gets traded?
A: I'd say better it is than not. The new guys -- Thibs and Scott Layden -- are going to be very aggressive in making moves. This is a new day in Wolves history. The days of them waiting for youth to mature are over, I think. It's very telling that in a matter of months Glen Taylor has gone from wanting to sell a third of the team as the first part of a succession plan to being all in by himself for the next several years. They want to win and they want to start it now, which means they're could be a lot of movement here in the coming weeks and months.

Q: Any free agents you think Wolves will go after that would actually come here?
A: I think you probably start with the guys he has coached before and has a relationship. Joakim Noah and (less likely) Pau are both free agents this summer. So is Luol Deng. It all depends what other moves they can make probably. Depends what their needs are after the draft and as free agency played out. I know there are guys like Randy Foye that Thibs has always liked if it comes down to things like looking for a backup point guard. I think he's going to look to add a handful of guys 25-early 30s who've played in the league.

Q: Any names you have heard as trade targets for the number 5 pick? Or 5 and something added.
A: The Jimmy Butler for No. 5 and Zach is the most popular conjecture at this point probably. I could see them doing some like the fifth pick for a guy like Serge Ibaka as well. No question defense (especially rim protection), rebounding and shooting are the priority. Ibaka's not a great rebounder, but he does the other things and could be available. I'm sure you'll hear all kinds of stuff.

Q: Do you have any sense of what the new regime thinks of Rubio? Is a he a lock to be on the team next year?
A: Like I said, I think the only real locks are KAT and Wiggins (and maybe Dieng, I know Thibs wanted to draft him when he was in Chicago). No question Ricky does a lot of things that Thibs appreciates. But he'll make a move if he thinks it's an upgrade. Hears a team to watch in a Ricky trade that I haven't heard mentioned much: The Sixers. Adding Simmons or Ingram only adds to their surplus of frontcourt players. They need to balance it in the backcourt and they can't keep adding 19 or 20 year old players, not in the Colangelo era. Jerry saw Ricky play in the Olympics at age 17. If the Wolves can add a defender/shot blocker (Nerlens Noel?) and address point guard another way, would they do it?

Q: Who is more likely to get traded, Shabazz or Gorgui?
A: Shabazz, no question.

Q: One of Murray, Dunn or Bender has to be there at 5 Jerry (considering 1-2 are basically locks in some order). So you are saying that one of those 3 will be the pick (and not Hield)?
A: Yes, at this point, but the draft's five weeks away, things can change

Q: Any idea how Bjelica fits in with the new regime? I hope that they keep him around. After all, the man has to feed his family.....
A: I think he's in their plans but you never know what pieces might be included in bigger deals to get a guy(s) they really want

Q: What's the future of Payne, Prince, and Rudez?
A: I don't think there is any, not here anyway

Q: What current player is most likely to be traded before next season?
A: They're going to do something with Payne, if they can trade him. I doubt very much he's on the team when the season starts

Q: Know that KG is 40 today do you think he comes back next year as a player or does he leave the organization again is he a font office candidate
A: I don't think he does as a player. We'll see what happens as far as a front office job (certainly possible) or a future stake in ownership. But Taylor's made it clear he doesn't plan to go anywhere for the next five years or beyond. Of course, that's not always any of ours choice.

Q: What would you speculate Thibs' outlook is on Tyus and what that will mean him next season?
A: He's never been afraid to play little guards, but I still think he wants to add a more experienced backup at that spot

Q: Any chance they go after Ryan Anderson? Solid rebounder and 3-point shooter. Or too expensive?
A: Way too expensive. they're not going to invest major money in another offensive player like that

http://live.startribune.com/Event/Timberwolves_Live_Chat_with_Jerry_Zgoda_at_noon_Thursday_3?Page=0

If we can get Foye cheap, don't mind him backing up Rubio as needed. Really don't want to trade Rubio because who could we get to be a PG that plays as well as him? It would mess up the team. He's such a good player, loyal, team-friendly contract. Definitely keep him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

To be expected with new management in style. Best to hope for is that all their replacements aren't going to affect the team negatively.

The Chicago Tribune reported, the management of Wolves are starting to make their move: Tom Thibodeau wants to add Butler’s personal trainer to the team and lure Butler to sign with the Wolves.

Love Jimmy Butler but I don't think he is worth #5 and Lavine. I am really high on Lavine, and with Thib's coaching, I think he could turn Lavine into a better jump shooting version of Butler.

Who would we be willing to move to get Butler?

Concern if the rumours are true about dealing with/working with Butler though.

Would be better off being patient with your young talent rather than trying to make a splash and fit that ego through the door.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Mega Thread Minnesota Timberwolves Thread - The Finch Era begins

Remove this Banner Ad

Back