Mega Thread Minnesota Timberwolves Thread - The Finch Era begins

Remove this Banner Ad

Still amazed this team can rip my heart out with some shithole trades, We were doing so well in the last 2 years. what an era
you have to be kidding, they will be better and have dumped that albatross contract.
Randle is a sidewise move but ultimately cant play worse than Towns did against Dallas.
Naz will be better than both IMO
Divincenzo is a huge get and a first rounder from Detroit is a cherry on top.

Think it's a great trade to be honest. Offload KAT's contract and pick up Divenceno and Randle. Fair amount of pressure on Reid/Gobert though.

If it's about making cap flexibility, would have been far better going for picks. Randle/Gobert sharing the floor will be terrible, and inconsistent offense was already the Wolves' achilles heel.

Many of the people that are upset with this move also didnt want them to move DLo, didnt think Conley would help and were against the Gobert trade. no idea
I love Connelly because he has had a plan since day one and none of the media seem to be in on it

you have to be kidding, they will be better and have dumped that albatross contract.
Randle is a sidewise move but ultimately cant play worse than Towns did against Dallas.
Naz will be better than both IMO
Divincenzo is a huge get and a first rounder from Detroit is a cherry on top.
You can mount an argument that Towns -> Randle might be a sideways trade on ability/performance, but it is difficult to argue that he's not a diabolically worse fit. He pretty much cannot share the floor with Gobert on offence, but on defence we can't really cover him unless Gobert is there with him.

The first rounder from Detroit is protected to hell and back and most likely becomes a 2027 second rounder.

I don't know how it plays out, but the timing on this kinda trade for me doesn't make sense.

You can mount an argument that Towns -> Randle might be a sideways trade on ability/performance, but it is difficult to argue that he's not a diabolically worse fit. He pretty much cannot share the floor with Gobert on offence, but on defence we can't really cover him unless Gobert is there with him.

The first rounder from Detroit is protected to hell and back and most likely becomes a 2027 second rounder.

I don't know how it plays out, but the timing on this kinda trade for me doesn't make sense.

The issue with the haul for Minnesota is that everyone knew this trade was inevitable by the deadline and reflects that the market for him is fairly limited. The cap restrictions were such that keeping Gobert, Ant and KAT together long term was punishing from a tax point of view but also for trades, etc. The tax saving for the deal is $40M.

Randle is a sideways, maybe backwards step from KAT and spacing will be an issue but DiVincenzo is a real coup. Shooting, bench depth, all worthwhile. The Pistons pick is a trade chip.

Report yesterday that Keita Bates-Diop is also coming across as salary balance. I thought we had 14 on the roster pre-trade?

The issue with the haul for Minnesota is that everyone knew this trade was inevitable by the deadline and reflects that the market for him is fairly limited. The cap restrictions were such that keeping Gobert, Ant and KAT together long term was punishing from a tax point of view but also for trades, etc. The tax saving for the deal is $40M.

Randle is a sideways, maybe backwards step from KAT and spacing will be an issue but DiVincenzo is a real coup. Shooting, bench depth, all worthwhile. The Pistons pick is a trade chip.

Report yesterday that Keita Bates-Diop is also coming across as salary balance. I thought we had 14 on the roster pre-trade?
I wouldn’t be surprised if you moved Randle before the deadline.

I hear you. It's just really hard to stomach finally getting into a WCF and then going backwards for the sake of Glen Taylor's Mt Everest-sized pile of money. I like the wing depth and shooting we've added but I just don't see how Randle fits with... well, any of our pieces. Would there be much of a market for him?

I haven't seen the KBD reports, but I thought we were at 14 as well. I don't think Dozier or Minott are fully guaranteed, though.

I hear you. It's just really hard to stomach finally getting into a WCF and then going backwards for the sake of Glen Taylor's Mt Everest-sized pile of money. I like the wing depth and shooting we've added but I just don't see how Randle fits with... well, any of our pieces. Would there be much of a market for him?

I haven't seen the KBD reports, but I thought we were at 14 as well. I don't think Dozier or Minott are fully guaranteed, though.

If something goes badly this year, KAT is a negative asset going forward with that contract. And with 3 guys being paid 99% of the salary cap, we start to lose depth and end up looking like a worse version of Phoenix.

And from the Windhorst article, Charlotte are the 3rd party who will take some more salary on and some draft capital (presumably from NY).

If something goes badly this year, KAT is a negative asset going forward with that contract. And with 3 guys being paid 99% of the salary cap, we start to lose depth and end up looking like a worse version of Phoenix.
You didnt get any true assets back though? You shed 53 mill in salary next year to take on 43 so not like the saving here is enormous. Only becomes relevant in 2026/27. It was easier to give it a season to see what happens. Would almost guarantee youd have that same trade for KAT in 12 months time anyway.

I just think you shat the bed cos the owner was too scared to part with some money. I suspect he had some new partners lined up in ownership who didnt come through so now he is bailing on the cost

You didnt get any true assets back though? You shed 53 mill in salary next year to take on 43 so not like the saving here is enormous. Only becomes relevant in 2026/27. It was easier to give it a season to see what happens. Would almost guarantee youd have that same trade for KAT in 12 months time anyway.

I just think you shat the bed cos the owner was too scared to part with some money. I suspect he had some new partners lined up in ownership who didnt come through so now he is bailing on the cost

DiVincenzo is an asset. The Detroit pick we'll see but plenty of picks get moved with heavier protection than that.

The market for someone making $220M over the next 4 years and that isn't a top 10 player in the league is limited. Who'd have thunk it. The Pels can't find a taker for Ingram right now.

The issue with the cap (and they saved $40M on tax - still projected to pay $60M) is that the rules slowly remove the teams ability to trade and draft the longer you sit at that level. They were always going to move someone and Towns was the heavy favorite.

The paid the tax last season and will pay it this coming season. It's a cool story.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Only reason you need to trade Towns is cos you brought in Gobert, a much poorer player and a trade that keeps on costing

If you held patient you could easily have just got Myles Turner/Poeltl at a quarter of the cost and then kept 30 mill free too
sorry no, Gobert is a way betting player when it comes to winning games.
all the 50 wins seasons with the jazz, now with the wolves isn't a coincidence
all the defense/defensive communitcation, actual rim pressure/lob-threat by being in the dunkers spot, sets a standard for other players on the defensive end, real rebounding not stat padding and screens that set teammates up not just to get himself open.
Towns has the skillset to be a top 5 player in the league but he just aint smart enough or tough enough.
Towns gets buckets until the 4th where we is routinely shut down by smaller players, I think Connelly had seen enough after the Memphis series capitulation.
That series showed Edwards is built to be a franchise guy and Town got outplayed by Brandon Clarke when it mattered (DLo similar)
I think half the point of getting Gobert (apart from raising the wolves floor to continual playoff team) was to make it so the Wolves had no choice but to Trade Towns eventually so he could offload him without Taylor getting in the way.

Remove this Banner Ad

Mega Thread Minnesota Timberwolves Thread - The Finch Era begins

Remove this Banner Ad

Back