Minor Premiers

Remove this Banner Ad

We get a trophy if we finish on top, although to this day I have never actually seen in it any news articles.

Its the Mclelland Trophy, it used to be awarded to the best overall team (Under 19's, reserves and Seniors) as these days it's just given to the minor premiers.

I'll take every trophy given to us.

In my mind it's the second most important trophy in our game.

It means we go into the finals as the best team, with the knowledge we can beat any other side. I guess it's not a huge deal for the players, because we all know the best side of the H&A season isn't necessarily the side that wins the premiership, but as a supporter I love seeing the Pies on top. :D

God forbid we start to turn into Hawthorn posters or even worse St Kilda posters.:(:(

I don't give rats arse about Minor Premierships.....

One focus and plenty of humility on the way for me.:thumbsu:

Go Pies because we're better than them.:thumbsu:

God forbid we start to turn into Hawthorn posters or even worse St Kilda posters.:(:(

I don't give rats arse about Minor Premierships.....

One focus and plenty of humility on the way for me.:thumbsu:

Go Pies because we're better than them.:thumbsu:

My thoughts exactly.

I've sat through too many Collingwood catastrophes to know not when to get ahead of myself.

Humility until the only important cup is in our hands.

Having said that, I'm still hungover from last night. If we win a flag, I think I'll be comatose for a week.

We get a trophy if we finish on top, although to this day I have never actually seen in it any news articles.

Its the Mclelland Trophy, it used to be awarded to the best overall team (Under 19's, reserves and Seniors) as these days it's just given to the minor premiers.

I'd take it, so long as we win the GF too. Is there a formal presentation ceremony? Never heard of one.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Its a perpetual trophy and its kept by the AFL. I dunno if it still is but it used to be on display in the foyer of the AFL offices at the G. It might still be there. Its not really a trophy more an honorboard/plaque type arrangement

Agree with most here, winning the 'Minor Premiership' will give me no satisfaction whatsoever. Stoked with the attitude of the boys going into September, but it is going to be a stressful last 6 weeks of the season - hopefully we get a week to relax before the prelim, think I'll need it as much as any of the players :p

If we can't win the premiership after finishing on top of the table,then its been a waste of a year.

Whats the use of being minor premiers and not winning the silver ware ?

i remember Port Adelaide were minor premiers 2 years running and both times got smashed in the finals by us before they got their act together and won the flag.

We must take our chances NOW and go for the flag,becuse you don't know whats's down the track,take your chances while everything is aligned and go for bust ,anything less and we have failed this year.

If we can't win the premiership after finishing on top of the table,then its been a waste of a year.

Whats the use of being minor premiers and not winning the silver ware ?

i remember Port Adelaide were minor premiers 2 years running and both times got smashed in the finals by us before they got their act together and won the flag.

We must take our chances NOW and go for the flag,becuse you don't know whats's down the track,take your chances while everything is aligned and go for bust ,anything less and we have failed this year.

Pretty much this.

It's an unfortunate pressure source, but basically, no flag = fail year unfortunately.

Comes with the territory of finishing top. Just ask St.Kilda and Port.

9 times in the clubs history we have won the minor premiership and failed to win the flag. It means nothing.
That would mean 8 times we won the minor premiership and the flag.

Its really a nothing stat either way

The stats since the final eight came in clearly illustrate the value of top spot. The minor premier has only missed out on a Grand Final appearance four times in 16 years (Essendon 1999, Port 2002, Port 2003, Adelaide 2005).

It clearly gives sides a better run and mental advantage than 2nd or 3rd. It certainly helps you get there.

That said, the top side has won 6 out of the 12 flags it has played in. So while it helps you get there, it doesnt help you win it the GF.

Second placed side has missed out on 6 GFs out of 16 (50% more likely to miss than the minor premier). But of the ten it made, it has actually won seven. And thats a significant omen - second side has a better success ratio than top side in the Granny - mainly due to Brisbane winning three from second spot.

In head to head GFs, 1v2, since 1994, the win-loss ratio is 4-3 in favour of the second placed side.

I don't care what any of you say, HOMP and I are going down to Westpac to view the Minor Premiership Coupe. Then we'll go back to see the real thing.:thumbsu:
It should handled like the viewing of a body.

We all queue up, let's say before the round 22 game against Hawthorn, and file in, taking one quick look at it before we move on.:thumbsu:

Still, it's something we haven't seen since 1970 (when it was judged on Seniors, Reserves and Under 19's), so I'd love to see it at pieland, even if only for a few days.:)

Remove this Banner Ad

Minor Premiers

Remove this Banner Ad

Back