News Mitch Cleary stood down indefinitely - AFL have really stepped in it this time

Remove this Banner Ad

Sounds like Richmond and the Cotchins had a tantrum and made the AFL sack the young bloke. Pathetic from all three parties.

Wow. And Hardwick pretending he doesnt know. Get ****ed.

As if he didnt talk to his *CAPTAIN* about it.

Grubby Richmond and grubby AFL. Hopefully Cleary takes them to the cleaners.

Sounds like Richmond and the Cotchins had a tantrum and made the AFL sack the young bloke. Pathetic from all three parties.

All 4 parties.

Journalist or not, if there was a directive not to single out any of the people who caused the fines, then there must be consequences for going against that.

Why didn't Cleary tweet out which person's kids went to Seaworld or which players went to the football? If I had agreed to a 25k fine on the proviso of anonymity I would be pretty furious if someone was actively trying to break that.

Actually following through and getting the employee fired is such a brain dead move however. It just tarnishes their and the clubs reputation.

All 4 parties.

Journalist or not, if there was a directive not to single out any of the people who caused the fines, then there must be consequences for going against that.

Why didn't Cleary tweet out which person's kids went to Seaworld or which players went to the football? If I had agreed to a 25k fine on the proviso of anonymity I would be pretty furious if someone was actively trying to break that.

Actually following through and getting the employee fired is such a brain dead move however. It just tarnishes their and the clubs reputation.
The ol' sweep it under the carpet move, eh?

And what do you mean "agreed" to the fine? It's not like it's a negotiation.

I'll preface this with I agree with you (as I'm about to ask a Carlton question and don't want it to turn into a mud-slinging match) but if Brooke Cotchin was to be sent home (again, I agree she should) should Levi Casboult's kids be sent home as well since their grandparents enabled them to break the rules? Who would cop the penalty in their case? Levi's wife for giving the kids to the grandparents to look after? The kids themselves (a bit harsh!) or somehow try and whack the grandparents?

I don't think anyone really knows the deal with the North Melbourne case so I won't comment on that. The Hawks and Magpies is a bit different due to the perpetrators being directly employed by clubs.

In levi's case, fine them as it was the grandparents not levi's wife along with the proviso , any further breach by grandparents and its straight home
if it was levi's wife that took kids to grandparents, then yep , straight home with the kids
sending one player home is better that QLD govt, going no more HUB

Nathan Buckley and sanderson, should have have known better as well, and should have been suspended for a week or sent home

those who have been briefed and in direct contact with the players in regards to protocols

These rules are to ensure whole competition goes ahead at the whim of state governments
Is not about whether you agree with the rules or not, it is the state government have said we will help you if you follow these rules
Why should they continue to support the AFL, if the AFL wont even follow the rules they agreed too

All 4 parties.

So your issue is he couldn't get a screen shot of kids at seaworld to tweet and because he couldn't get that, he shouldn't have dropped Cothin in it? Seems kind of strange logic.

Sure, if presented with the exact same access to things publicly he decided to only report on one, you probably would have a point. But so far, no mention of either the grandparents or the kids involved having put anything on social media.

Also, the agreeing to a $25k fine is awful similar to Collingwood and Sidebottom accepting the AFLs stand down, I don't think they had much of a choice.

All 4 parties.

She outed herself mate.

She put it on instagram (and quite possibly got paid or received discount for advertising the business).

So your issue is he couldn't get a screen shot of kids at seaworld to tweet and because he couldn't get that, he shouldn't have dropped Cothin in it? Seems kind of strange logic.
I dislike any one being named and shamed if they don't need to be. There's not journalists tweeting about Levi Casboult's partner, nor about any of the other people who have been fined. And thats the way it should be.

And I dont buy the fact that just because its already been in the public it needs to be spread around again. Everyone knew it was her the moment Richmond was implicated. Peggy mentioned them on her radio stint yesterday. Once the sanction was accepted that should have been it.

And the dumb part is everyone would have moved on from it if the Cotchin's hadn't complained and the AFL hadn't fired Cleary. The tweet itself wouldn't have been noteworthy if everyone ignored it.

All 4 parties.

She put it on Instagram mate

She outed herself.

She cooked herself. Mitch just put her dumb ass on a platter for us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

All 4 parties.

It's peak arrogance from Cotchin to ask for anonymity when his wife had already outed herself. It's not up to the public to cover up her mistakes.

This sets a dangerous precedent for journalists working for AFL Media. Gillon is acting like a dictator.
Did the AFL become Chinese owned without anyones knowledge? The lack of transparency at AFL house and the control they exert over player movement, ambassador payments, individuals, clubs and the media is a real concern.

All 4 parties.

Did any of the people who went to the footy or Seaworld put it up on Instagram?

AFL should reinstate Mitch Cleary

EeeGZVVUMAIBo1H

Remove this Banner Ad

News Mitch Cleary stood down indefinitely - AFL have really stepped in it this time

Remove this Banner Ad

Back