Toast Mitch Grigg - Fare Thee Well, We Hardly Knew Ye

Remove this Banner Ad

Foot speed is not the be-all and end-all that some make it out to be. Obviously you need some fast players in your team for balance, but there have been plenty of great players that weren't that quick.

I agree with you on this. Some of the best players in the AFL are not all that fast but they have that ability to make space and dispose of the ball cleanly/accurately. Go back a few years and remember a guy called Keith Chessel. Played for Sturt. He wasn't fast but boy he always had plenty of time to get rid of the ball.

My assumption is most left-footers are one-sided because they've never had to learn to kick on the other side. Everyone goes to cover the right and they get away with it, and so the instinct is never built up.

WA - I agree that smarts and composure can make up for a lack of speed, but what I'm saying is I don't think Grigg has a lack of speed to begin with. We all base a lot off 30m sprint times where the fastest and slowest might be half a second apart. Very easy to have a poor sprint time in a camp, but be just as fast as anyone else when running with the ball.

I've only seen him on TV but have seen him nail a couple passes on his right boot on the SANFL when he has to. Doesn't look too unco either. I'm going to see if I can make a gif of his little dance routine in the first quarter. It was great!

My assumption is most left-footers are one-sided because they've never had to learn to kick on the other side. Everyone goes to cover the right and they get away with it, and so the instinct is never built up.

Don't agree, Stabby. First thing you look for in a new opponent is what foot is the natural. This way you know which way they are likely to turn. Used to love playing on blokes that only had one foot. Ping em all the time.

Don't agree, Stabby. First thing you look for in a new opponent is what foot is the natural. This way you know which way they are likely to turn. Used to love playing on blokes that only had one foot. Ping em all the time.
Yeah that it pick on the cripples ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If you can tell me when abouts they were in the game by the game clock I should be able to do it.

Tbh I have no idea sorry I just remember seeing them near the end of the first or start of the second qtr. One of them he scoops the ball up and weaves through traffic. Was brilliant

Of course there are exceptions, but in the heat of the moment it's not at all uncommon for players to go with their instinct and cover the right.

As good as Grigg's candy was, how good was Sloane's gut running... he kicks the ball out of the D50, he makes the contest on the wing providing an option for Grigg's candy, he then receives a handball from Otten at the F50 arc and dishes it off!

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast Mitch Grigg - Fare Thee Well, We Hardly Knew Ye

Remove this Banner Ad

Back