MLB Season 2016

Remove this Banner Ad

Been a casual follower of the MLB post-season games over the years. A couple of things bug me.

I'm curious why the post-match scenes always go the same way.

Players from the winning team always charge out to the mound, link arms and bounce up and down as though they've won the World Series. Meanwhile the losing team sit there disconsolately in the dugout, straring straight ahead, nobody talking, before they dejectedly disappear up the tunnel. I'm not bagging the Indians for celebrating their ALCS win. Fair enough. They're in the World Series. It's just an observation that every team has carried on the same way after every post-season win. It just seems a bit over the top.

Why don't the players from both teams ever shake hands after the game? :huh: I can't think of many other sports where the players don't shake hands afterwards. And why don't the Blue Jays (or any losing home team) also acknowledge their fans with a wave and thank them for their support after the game? Okay, they didn't win the pennant. They're disappointed. But they had a great year. It just seems a bit sooky-la-la for them to slink away to the dressing room after they lose. The crowd tonight stuck around to the very end and cheered their team right down to the final out. I could see the Toronto fans clapping afterwards, but the players gave them nothing.

And then they have the most anti-climactic trophy presentations I've ever seen. Out of sight, presumably near the dressing room somewhere, the league commissioner hands over the trophy to a couple of old farts who own the team. WTF? Why don't they have the presentation on the field where the fans can see & applaud? Why isn't the trophy given over to the players & manager? Who cares about the owners? Nobody wants to hear from them. (Even if the away team wins, I still think it would be better to have the presentations on the field.)

I think the MLB is great - the whole presentation is fantastic - they do everything so well. Except for the after-match stuff, which leaves a bit to be desired, in my opinion.

Last edited:
Been a casual follower of the MLB post-season games over the years. A couple of things bug me.

I'm curious why the post-match scenes always go the same way.

Players from the winning team always charge out to the mound, link arms and bounce up and down as though they've won the World Series. Meanwhile the losing team sit there disconsolately in the dugout, straring straight ahead, nobody talking, before they dejectedly disappear up the tunnel. I'm not bagging the Indians for celebrating their ALCS win. Fair enough. They're in the World Series. It's just an observation that every team has carried on the same way after every post-season win. It just seems a bit over the top.

Why don't the players from both teams ever shake hands after the game? :huh: I can't think of many other sports where the players don't shake hands afterwards. And why don't the Blue Jays (or any losing home team) also acknowledge their fans with a wave and thank them for their support after the game? Okay, they didn't win the pennant. They're disappointed. But they had a great year. It just seems a bit sooky-la-la for them to slink away to the dressing room after they lose. The crowd tonight stuck around to the very end and cheered their team right down to the final out. I could see the Toronto fans clapping afterwards, but the players gave them nothing.

And then they have the most anti-climactic trophy presentations I've ever seen. Out of sight, presumably near the dressing room somewhere, the league commissioner hands over the trophy to a couple of old farts who own the team. WTF? Why don't they have the presentation on the field where the fans can see & applaud? Why isn't the trophy given over to the players & manager? Who cares about the owners? Nobody wants to hear from them. (Even if the away team wins, I still think it would be better to have the presentations on the field.)

I think the MLB is great - the whole presentation is fantastic - they do everything so well. Except for the after-match stuff, which leaves a bit to be desired, in my opinion.

You have very valid questions/points. It really boils down to how the sport traditionally has handled things.

For many many years there was an American League and National League with winners of each league playing in World Series.

There were 2 celebrations. Winning American or National League was one celebration. Winning World Series was the other.

As playoffs expanded the celebrations expanded.

In baseball there has never been an occasion where teams line up and shake hands. It is unique (bad or good) in that regard.

As for fans, in 1995 the Indians clinched in Seattle and their fans did celebrate the Mariners season after the Tribe went into clubhouse to celebrate.

So that depends on city/fan base really.

Hope that helps

You have very valid questions/points. It really boils down to how the sport traditionally has handled things.

For many many years there was an American League and National League with winners of each league playing in World Series.

There were 2 celebrations. Winning American or National League was one celebration. Winning World Series was the other.

As playoffs expanded the celebrations expanded.

In baseball there has never been an occasion where teams line up and shake hands. It is unique (bad or good) in that regard.

As for fans, in 1995 the Indians clinched in Seattle and their fans did celebrate the Mariners season after the Tribe went into clubhouse to celebrate.

So that depends on city/fan base really.

Hope that helps
Cheers.

Sounds as though the no-shaking-hands is just a cultural oversight in the game. Easily fixed if just one manager/one team decided to break the mould and shake hands afterwards. It would quickly catch on, I think. Other teams would do it too after a loss.

It's just weird that Little League teams are more grown-up about it than the Major Leaguers.

I don't care who we play--bring it on!!

Efforting Series tickets---hopefully be able to post pictures from the games starting Tuesday night!!!

Congratulations, Cleveland Indians and their supporters for making the World Series! Awesome, so happy for that ball club. After the injuries to the pitchers, it was going to be an uphill battle (or so most people thought) but Cleveland have done it with so much class to win these first two series.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Congratulations, Cleveland Indians and their supporters for making the World Series! Awesome, so happy for that ball club. After the injuries to the pitchers, it was going to be an uphill battle (or so most people thought) but Cleveland have done it with so much class to win these first two series.

Four words:

Tito Francona

Andrew Miller

Hoping for a nice long 7 game series.

;)

Hope it happens for you AC (given I know what you go through with that 'other' Cleveland team;) ), Im not a big baseball fan but I've been dragged aboard the Cubs bandwagon during the NLCS, yesterday was good fun & today's game should be a cracker. But will be happy to jump wagons for the WS should the Cubs make it:)

I hate the Jays so couldn't be happier they are gone.

Rizzo getting hot which is incredibly dangerous for everyone. This is a massive last 5 innings, Cubs win and there is no way they don't go to world series IMO

I hate the Jays so couldn't be happier they are gone.

Rizzo getting hot which is incredibly dangerous for everyone. This is a massive last 5 innings, Cubs win and there is no way they don't go to world series IMO

Well Cubs will clearly be in driver seat but if you drop game 6 to Kershaw--anything can happen in a Game 7.

Hopefully, a nice long 22 inning Game 7. :p

Remove this Banner Ad

MLB Season 2016

Remove this Banner Ad

Back