ripitup27

Premiership Player
Aug 14, 2005
Your Place
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
The Chapman Express
Is there anyone else here that sees the benefit of playing Mooney as the back up ruckman?

At the moment I don't think either West or Mumford will be able to shoulder the responsibility of being the back up, but I think Mooney could.

Obviously he's rucked before and did it quite well and Ottens had been spending a lot of time down forward resting, which would be the perfect situation for Moons.
Give Blake a rest for a while, have Moons play ruck, then throw him to the goalsquare to stretch the Pies backline with Lonergan, Mooney and Hawkins playing forward.

I just don't think Mumford or West are good enough to have an impact while resting forward.

That would mean we bring Lonergan in for Ottens, playing him forward all the time kicking a few sneaky ones.

l had been thinking about this too but unfortunately l think he would leave too big a hole up forward. Our tall forwards are not strong enough without him - we really need him as a marking/contest forward all day long, playing through him as our link man and as a bonus kicking a few.

Which is a shame as l reckon he can add super value as a running ruckman.

I agree. However, I can see West or Mumford being a good target in the forward line. If Collingwood goes in with Fraser rucking by himself, why can't we rotate Blake, West/Mumford as well as Mooney through the ruck? Have one in the ruck, one on the bench and one in the goal square. We don't need the resting ruckman in the forward line to have a combined 10 mark, 5 goal effort, but as long as they provide a contest, and give opportunities for the likes of Chapman, Johnson, Gamble and Varcoe to kick some crumbing goals, as well as chipping in with a few goals themselves, then we can't ask for more than that.

At this stage Hawkins can't be trusted to play a lone hand in the FL. Plus I'm not sure Mooney's body would be up to the rigours of ruck work.

At a pinch, maybe. But we'd have to be pretty desperate. And recent past shows that Bomber has tended not make drastic moves like this ....even when we are desperate!

At this stage Hawkins can't be trusted to play a lone hand in the FL. Plus I'm not sure Mooney's body would be up to the rigours of ruck work.

At a pinch, maybe. But we'd have to be pretty desperate. And recent past shows that Bomber has tended not make drastic moves like this ....even when we are desperate!

On Hawkins, did anyone notice his tap in the last 1/4 when SJ kicked the goal from the pocket? Straight down Gaz's throat:)

Mooney was smashed in the ruck vs Richmond and Simmonds isn't exactly a good player, and their #2 was a kid.

Mooney was smashed in the ruck vs Richmond and Simmonds isn't exactly a good player, and their #2 was a kid.

First time rucking for a while and Simmonds is one of the best ruckmen in the comp.

I think it would do Mooney's confidence a world of good too, just to get him close to the ball. Has struggled a bit up forward so far.

IMO, it has to be West. Apparently Mumford was injured on the weekend anyway. When Mooney can stay up forward he gives a good contest, plus as re cat said, I don't think he has the tank to be a follower these days.

West is looking good, and he certainly moves more athletically than Blake. I also thought he did well and looked improved in the pre-season.

First time rucking for a while and Simmonds is one of the best ruckmen in the comp.

I think it would do Mooney's confidence a world of good too, just to get him close to the ball. Has struggled a bit up forward so far. Probably because it's only his second game too.

Mooney was probably the most under done player going in to the season. So
1. He will begin to step up up forward again as his fitness improves
2. He is not fit enough to prowl the ground the way he did 5 years ago.

Is Mumford injured?

If not he and West have a great chance to show what they have. Thats why they are on the list. Its their time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is there anyone else here that sees the benefit of playing Mooney as the back up ruckman?

At the moment I don't think either West or Mumford will be able to shoulder the responsibility of being the back up, but I think Mooney could.

Obviously he's rucked before and did it quite well and Ottens had been spending a lot of time down forward resting, which would be the perfect situation for Moons.
Give Blake a rest for a while, have Moons play ruck, then throw him to the goalsquare to stretch the Pies backline with Lonergan, Mooney and Hawkins playing forward.

I just don't think Mumford or West are good enough to have an impact while resting forward.

That would mean we bring Lonergan in for Ottens, playing him forward all the time kicking a few sneaky ones.

No benefit whatsoever; West has been in the system for a couple of years now, had AFL experience. Hes bigger now so that he can cope with the big bodies he will be expected to compete against for the next 5-10 years.

Mooney was good as a number 2 ruck 4-5 years ago when we had no ruckmen to back up Kingy. If we were to put him in the middle, a ruck roving type of role would suit him better, a la Richardson.

Moons is older and just a bit slower these days, not to mention the well publicised forward line. Need the "captain" of that forward line to stay there.

I don't mind the idea of him running around as a follower in a Richo type role to rediscover a bit of touch but he is not a ruckman. Rucks, especially undersized ones, get injured. We can not afford our only key forward to get injured.

I was thinking this myself. I remember last time when Moons was thrown into the ruck he had an immediate influence and it sort of rejuvenated his game. Maybe this would be the stroke that gets him right back on track. I'm not sure if his tank is up for it, and i'm not sure if he can leap as high anymore but last time his aggression and around the ground agility really lifted the Cats.

I feel Blake will get dominated every week and simply isn't god enough around the ground, coaches will tell there rucks to push forward and Blake will get caught out. I say bring in West, he can mark the ball and has strength, we can use him up forward and in the ruck. Blake/Mooney/West to rotate in the ruck.

On Hawkins, did anyone notice his tap in the last 1/4 when SJ kicked the goal from the pocket? Straight down Gaz's throat:)

not only that he flattened about 4 people with his massive arse in the process

Whats the point of having 5 ruckmen on your list if the first time you need to use a backup you dont think any are good enough.
West filled in early last year and had a few NAB cup games this year. If He cant play a few games now his future prospects must be slim

We need to give West or Mumford a go rather than bringing Mooney out of rucking retirement. But if we ever find ourselves a ruckman short, why not use Joel Corey or Darren Milburn as the backup? We wouldn't be winning too many contests no matter who we used, and this way at least our midfielders would outnumber theirs at the contest. Corey and Dasher can at least manage to make a contest and still be of use at ground level.

Remove this Banner Ad

Mooney to ruck?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back