Most Boring VFL/AFL Player Encounters/Sightings.

Remove this Banner Ad

Sun arvo..7ish, stopped at traffic lights, Blake Caracella walked past 2m away carrying a rolled up yoga mat ? Bay St, Port Melb...could have just visited Bomber Thompson.

Saw Michael Gardiner in a fighters corner at a local boxing event yesty in Werribee. Still looks in Pretty good nick.
after we ran our errands, driver detoured to show me where Michael Gardiner actually lives.

(driver was ex school principal so knows Michael Gardiner, yes, driver has had kick to kick with Mick and Dusty too)

Remember seeing ex bulldog bogan, Danny southern at a Metallica concert in 93.
Half way thru the concert, during a break I think, the crowd noticed him. It was at the tennis centre and he was on the front row of tiered seats and we were on the floor. he got a huge cheer. When the concert started I saw him head banging away.

Used to work at a takeaway shop (late 90’s) in morrabbin the staints team came in one day, they all had salad rolls

Simon Beaumont used to (and maybe still does) work at nab in the city, think he works as a trader, used to see him out front having a smoke

Met chad Morrison (when he was at west coast) but they’d played in melb that day, it was one of his school friends 21 bdays. Chatted to him for a while, there was a punch on and he went to either join in / break it up. I held him back and said don’t risk it mate.

My dad used to be a trainer at Carlton, there was a picture him in the paper of him helping Robbie walls up off the ground, my mum had a copy of the phots, so I got it copied and managed to get in contact with Robbie via 3aw to get him to sign photos for me and my brother had dad died a while ago. he rang me but I let it go voice mail and he gave me his address to send the stuff. He signed it all and wrote a personal letter to me when he posted the signed pics back.

I also have Eddie mcguires and sam Newman’s mobile numbers, friend of
a friend used to work for Telstra and got them Numbers thru him. Rang Sam once went straight to voice mail.

Last edited:
Saw Daniel Talia sitting front row at a Fringe show.
There were **** on stage so probably not boring enough for thread.

Billy Brownless stole a girl i was hittin on (i thought successfully) at a b & s ball about 35 years ago. Hated him ever since.
There's always more at a B&S.

They were very happy hunting grounds

Was driving along and saw Andrew Mackie standing up at a cafe talking to someone who was seated. Glanced down, and noticed he was talking to Jonathon Brown. Then, saw Mackie walk out wearing New Balance trainers. No hat. Nice hair though. Can't confirm if Brown was eating chicken.

Was driving along and saw Andrew Mackie standing up at a cafe talking to someone who was seated. Glanced down, and noticed he was talking to Jonathon Brown. Then, saw Mackie walk out wearing New Balance trainers. No hat. Nice hair though. Can't confirm if Brown was eating chicken.

You must have been driving very slowly to be able to observe all of this.

I mean, you're not going to identify New Balance trainers if you're driving at 60 kph.

You never know... A speeding cop car screeched to a halt and arrested me for having a pee late one night in Albury... In court the police statement was "blackshadow was spied with penis in hand" - this was in the dark with a car going fast enough that it skidded to a stop... That cop would have spotted New Balance trainers at 60 kph without a doubt.

You never know... A speeding cop car screeched to a halt and arrested me for having a pee late one night in Albury... In court the police statement was "blackshadow was spied with penis in hand" - this was in the dark with a car going fast enough that it skidded to a stop... That cop would have spotted New Balance trainers at 60 kph without a doubt.
And your damp ones would have reflected the light from the street light or headlights.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was at Westfield Plenty Valley K-Mart a few weeks ago and saw Matthew Kreuzer. He was in the homewares section with his wife looking at air fryers. I now want an air fryer.

Must live in the South Morang / Mill Park area. I saw him walking out of woolworths Rivergum (around the corner) about 10 years ago, a car drove up and picked him up.

Dane Swan, Taylor and baby Tait, also cavoodle Barney, walking along Malvern Rd in Sth Yarra. Potentially straight out of a cafe. Exciting stuff.

Saw Robert Flower at McDonald's Croydon with his kids.. I would have been under 15, and remember saying excitedly.... "There's Robert Flower! " He gave me a dirty (Oh here we go again look!!! ) He didn't seem to be too impressed to be honest..

Had a ‘Close encounter of the Beveridge kind’ This was after Luke's first year as coach (2014??) Bit of a short story approach ... so buckle in

I was at a take-away in North Melbourne, hovering in front of the bain-marie trying not to be seduced by their crinkle cut chips. Now these crinkle cut chips are the finest I’ve come across, and seeing that I’ve begun to spread in my middle age and am now mindful of what I eat, it was taking all my willpower to resist their charms. I turned to my left as I waited to be served and to my delight, Luke Beveridge was just a few metres away ordering a sandwich. The attendant was piling on chopped raw carrots and weed-like lettuce and alfalfa and all sorts of health-nut stuff and, though I wasn’t conscious of it at the time, this had an effect on me the way Chris Judd’s healthy diet influenced his teammates when he first arrived at Carlton. As I was then attended to, I spurned the crinkle cut chips and ordered something a little more disciplined. I bought 3 steamed dim sims. Nah, just kidding. I ordered a chicken schnitzel sandwich. “And pile on a whole bunch of lettuce,” I instructed, to which I added a belated “please.”

The ‘whole bunch of lettuce’ was Luke’s influence, as I wasn’t in a lettuce mood. Anyhoo, with Luke inspiring this healthier choice, I then felt an urge to say thanks for the great season we’d had. I noted that he hadn’t got a sense of me, so I was able to study him surreptitiously for a moment or so, and the thing that really struck me is that his neck is nowhere near as formidable in real life. On TV, Beveridge’s neck is an imposing trunk, but here in the take-away, it was just your regular thick; no more remarkable than the neck of a built tradie. I kind of felt disappointed by this, because on TV he has the neck of a superhero. This real life encounter, however, diminished its powers.

“Hey Luke,” then popped out of my mouth. I had his attention. “Thanks for the great year. We’re all real proud of you.”

“Thanks mate,” Luke replied. But in a way that conveyed ‘I’m real uncomfortable talking to complete strangers in take-away joints, especially seeing that the last time I did, the fan chewed me ear for an hour.’

This transmission was received crystal clear at my end, and I did my best to transmit back, ‘Not a problem; never planned to take it any further; no offence taken; you must suffer that sh*t all the time.’

Of course, my reading of his transmission – if indeed there was a transmission – was just my senses running wild. You do that when you’ve intruded into the world of the famous in assessing whether you’ve embarrassed yourself. If he did indeed transmit anything, it may very well have been, ‘I’m really flattered. Gee thanks. Sort of feeling awkward, though, because you’re coming across all gushing.’

Either way, whatever his transmission (if indeed there was a transmission!), I only hope my transmission was received, lest he’d thought he’d put me off-side.

Had a ‘Close encounter of the Beveridge kind’ This was after Luke's first year as coach (2014??) Bit of a short story approach ... so buckle in

I was at a take-away in North Melbourne, hovering in front of the bain-marie trying not to be seduced by their crinkle cut chips. Now these crinkle cut chips are the finest I’ve come across, and seeing that I’ve begun to spread in my middle age and am now mindful of what I eat, it was taking all my willpower to resist their charms. I turned to my left as I waited to be served and to my delight, Luke Beveridge was just a few metres away ordering a sandwich. The attendant was piling on chopped raw carrots and weed-like lettuce and alfalfa and all sorts of health-nut stuff and, though I wasn’t conscious of it at the time, this had an effect on me the way Chris Judd’s healthy diet influenced his teammates when he first arrived at Carlton. As I was then attended to, I spurned the crinkle cut chips and ordered something a little more disciplined. I bought 3 steamed dim sims. Nah, just kidding. I ordered a chicken schnitzel sandwich. “And pile on a whole bunch of lettuce,” I instructed, to which I added a belated “please.”

The ‘whole bunch of lettuce’ was Luke’s influence, as I wasn’t in a lettuce mood. Anyhoo, with Luke inspiring this healthier choice, I then felt an urge to say thanks for the great season we’d had. I noted that he hadn’t got a sense of me, so I was able to study him surreptitiously for a moment or so, and the thing that really struck me is that his neck is nowhere near as formidable in real life. On TV, Beveridge’s neck is an imposing trunk, but here in the take-away, it was just your regular thick; no more remarkable than the neck of a built tradie. I kind of felt disappointed by this, because on TV he has the neck of a superhero. This real life encounter, however, diminished its powers.

“Hey Luke,” then popped out of my mouth. I had his attention. “Thanks for the great year. We’re all real proud of you.”

“Thanks mate,” Luke replied. But in a way that conveyed ‘I’m real uncomfortable talking to complete strangers in take-away joints, especially seeing that the last time I did, the fan chewed me ear for an hour.’

This transmission was received crystal clear at my end, and I did my best to transmit back, ‘Not a problem; never planned to take it any further; no offence taken; you must suffer that sh*t all the time.’

Of course, my reading of his transmission – if indeed there was a transmission – was just my senses running wild. You do that when you’ve intruded into the world of the famous in assessing whether you’ve embarrassed yourself. If he did indeed transmit anything, it may very well have been, ‘I’m really flattered. Gee thanks. Sort of feeling awkward, though, because you’re coming across all gushing.’

Either way, whatever his transmission (if indeed there was a transmission!), I only hope my transmission was received, lest he’d thought he’d put me off-side.

Mate, that is a bloody fine first post. good spelling, neatly spaced etc. Top job

Screenshot_2021-04-20 Too Many Notes.png

Harris Andrews was watching a NEAFL game at his old club Aspley and lined up for hot chips with the rest of us. He got a water as well and a Coke for Rhys Mathersion who didn’t wait in line.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back