Most Boring VFL/AFL Player Encounters/Sightings.

Remove this Banner Ad

Saw Bob Murphy in the chemist at South Freo a couple of weeks back. We were both waiting for scripts & one of those vaguely drug affected, aggressive vibe kind of psychotic looking dudes was wandering around the shop talking to himself. Bob & I both kind of looked at him & then made eye contact in a kind of eyebrow raised way above how cooked this dude looked.

Unfortunately I then asked him if there was any chance of us giving the Sturt kid a run sometime as we’ve been kind of short of the type who can kick straight at goals & young Sam seems to have that in his repertoire.

Bob didn’t take it well & replied rather curtly that it’s not that simple mate & turned away leaving me feeling like the kind of clueless outsider that I guess I am to those in the caper.

I guess he had the last laugh when Sturty absolutely sprayed the one shot he had last week.

I saw ex-Dockers midfielder Andrew Browne at the pre-trial conference centre of the District Court of Western Australia the other day.

Looked it up and he played 29 games for Freo, mid 2000s.
Anyone other than a full on Dockers supporter remember this fellow?

Met Bryce Gibbs at eve night club in Melbourne. Spoke to him for 10 mins about SuperCoach. Nice dude
Haha, reminds me of when I met Darren Milburn at a Geelong luncheon about 10 years ago. Free booze, so I'd gone pretty hard for a few hours and was fairly uninhibited. Enough so that I made a point of congratulating him on being part of my Dreamteam premiership team a few years earlier, and invited him to the premiership reunion if I ever got around to having one.

He was remarkably patient.

Saw and briefly spoke to Tom Hawkins the other week at the Comedy Festival. **** I didn’t expect him to tower over me as much as he did, and I’m not that short

Just discovered this thread!

Been working on/off as a barista over the last decade. Here's a list of encounters:

Made a Cappuccino for Bomber.
Once made a take away for Razor Ray.

When I was a roaster, Jack Reiwoldt came to film a segment for his show on 7. Roastery/cafe was in Richmond, so saw a fair few players come through:
Jonathan Patton, Coniglio, O'Meara, Gunston, Heath Shaw. Once the boss had Kouta come visit him.

Where I work now, Peter Banfield is a regular (loves a hot chocolate). Goodwin also (can confirm he says "expresso"). The other month Kozzie and Narkle sat in. Just yesterday, Jack Higgins came in, bought 2 bottles of water and left.

Anyway, if any other boring encounters pop up worth sharing I will, cheers!

Saw Josh Gibson on a Ballarat bound train this afternoon. He was sitting by himself about three seats away from me. He made two phone calls during the journey and was wearing a hat.
Saw Gibbo and his missus a couple of times during lockdown, at Maxi Foods Ballarat where I used to work.
Both dressed in trackies and a hoodie. Josh was wearing a cap as well, to try and look inconspicuous.

I was at the gym in Yarraville the other day and in walks Liam Picken and Caleb Daniel. And I'm like wow that's cool so I went up and said "hey bulldogs premiership players Liam Picken and Caleb Daniel!" and bloody Caleb Daniel looks at me and says "My name's not Caleb Daniel" and I'm very confused so I turn to Liam and he says "this is my son".

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was at the gym in Yarraville the other day and in walks Liam Picken and Caleb Daniel. And I'm like wow that's cool so I went up and said "hey bulldogs premiership players Liam Picken and Caleb Daniel!" and bloody Caleb Daniel looks at me and says "My name's not Caleb Daniel" and I'm very confused so I turn to Liam and he says "this is my son".
Poor Liam. Never the same post concussion.

I walked past the local cafe. Charlie Dixon was sitting outside eating some sort of pastry.

He was wearing a hat that said 'Dixon' on it.

Saw former Adelaide Crows key forward Ken McGregor get off the train at Ascot Park with his kids after the Crows vs Suns game.

Kind of weird, a long while back now I ran into Peter Bell 3 times within a few weeks at completely random places. Once at a deli counter then behind me at an ATM then a week or so later he pulled up & parked his bike next to where I was standing.

By then I think he thought he must know me as my face had become familiar & he said hello & we had as chat about that weeks game. He was actually really nice which surprised me as I’d heard he can be a bit of a tool.

I have never seen him since. Now I just see Bob Murphy everywhere walking around Freo.

Saw Gibbo and his missus a couple of times during lockdown, at Maxi Foods Ballarat where I used to work.
Both dressed in trackies and a hoodie. Josh was wearing a cap as well, to try and look inconspicuous.

Yeah I have seen Gibbo. Shocked at the size of him.

He is a lot taller and bigger than he looks on the field.

Unit.

Remove this Banner Ad

Most Boring VFL/AFL Player Encounters/Sightings.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back