Most heartbreaking loss in 08?

Remove this Banner Ad

Definitely the saints game. Close game, 1 minute left Moore hits the post from 30 out directly in front(His only mistake in 08). Jack after the siren and those 13 lost seconds. That was our crunch game if had won that we would have played finals.

Not a loss but the draw with the dogs was pretty bad. They were unbeaten, we were up by 19 with 4 minutes left and then Bang. And that Will Minson shot on goal, which he should have never taken.:mad:

For me, it was the Carlton game...

So much to play for, and to have our balls served to us in that last quarter was heartbreaking for me.

I was so pumped for that game... we were looking good right up til 3 qtr time, and then... FAIL!

Then getting a txt msg from a mate who is in the force at 12.30am saying that Polak had been hit by a tram and was not in a good way just really added to the heartbreak.

For me, it was the Carlton game...

So much to play for, and to have our balls served to us in that last quarter was heartbreaking for me.

I was so pumped for that game... we were looking good right up til 3 qtr time, and then... FAIL!

Then getting a txt msg from a mate who is in the force at 12.30am saying that Polak had been hit by a tram and was not in a good way just really added to the heartbreak.

yeahh that was so shit!

it was meant to be our day, 100years in the AFL, all these celebrations for us, and then :thumbsdown:

one of the worst days:(

Yep, the draw got to me a fair bit as well.

As mentioned, Carlton and the Saints were the other two. Saints game more for the way in which we lost, having really outplayed them in all areas, and Carlton game for the occasion/importance of the game. I never felt we were in that game, even at 3/4 time when the scores were tight. We just played terribly.

doggies one was harsh.

i was watching it on channel 10 with dad, while my mate (collingwood fan) knew the scores, and he didnt have any emotion on his face, so i didnt know what happend!:(

and Minson should not have taken the kick, cameron white was the man!
fukn robbed!:mad:

heartbreaking....................st kilda should of won.

dissapointing......................carlton we are so much better

annoying..........................sydney & adelaide pathetic performances

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Saints. I was making my deb that night, and about half the guys were Tiger fans, and so during dinner all converged onto the one table for regular last-quarter score updates. ****!

dissapointing......................carlton

This sums it up pretty well. I near cried after the Saints loss, just dominated all night, but to loose was shattering. Reminded me of the 1 point loss to Sydney at Telstra Dome in the second last round of 2000, which ultimately cost us finals that year as well.

dissapointing......................carlton we are so much better

I agree.

The things about these games (except for perhaps Sydney) is they were all games where we were at the cross roads. Win any of the St Kilda, Carlton and Adelaide games and our season could have taken a different direction.

If we won against the Saints we would have set ourselves up nicely for the second half of the season where the more "winnable" games were.

With the the Carlton game we were just outside the eight and there was only one or two games difference between 6th and 12th and Carlton was one of them. Effectively an 8 point game.

With the Adelaide game it was a vital game to win if we were going to make the eight. We were effectively competing against Adelaide for the same spot in the eight and winning that game would not have only meant that we would get the four points, but we would have denied them four points as well. So this was also an 8 point game as well and we played so poorly.

The games where we didn't give a yelp always get to me the most. Adelaide, Sydney, Kangas, Collingwood and Carlton. Just when you think we are improving we seem to serve up a horrendous effort with no spirit or desire. It makes me sick, it's like clockwork. Those 5 games were woeful.

The round 2 and 3 losses for mine.

We were pumped after winning the first game and then played bullcrap footy two weeks in a row.

Very deflated after round three.

I agree, terrible all round performances by the players and coach to make average opposition players look good.:mad:

I thought the insipid performances in rounds 2 & 3 coupled with the horrible efforts against the Swans & Crows were very tough to watch. (Last qtr against the Boohoos was also rubbish)

For most heartbreaking however, I reckon you can't go past the Doggies draw & Saints loss.

Both results could have and should have gone in our favour and that would have given 2 more wins against top 4 finishers and also would have put us into the finals last year.

For most hearbreaking losses these 2 truly defined our 2008 season for me...

Both Crows games and the Sydney game were shockers.

Getting thumped just seem to disintegrate all the positive energy we'd had from the previous few weeks, finally it looked like we were just going to put in a solid 3/4 of a season and then we ended up getting royally flogged 3 times.

:thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Most heartbreaking loss in 08?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back