Most overrated player in the AFL currently?

Remove this Banner Ad

Grundy is no longer that fantastic but people saying he was flogged yesterday are having a laugh.
I don't think he was great, not flogged but he certainly lost imo.
he always gets good stats but you gotta watch him closely.

even Daniher pushed him off in a ruck contest. who is a pinch hitter.

If we were going from todays take it’s Nick Blakey for sure. He is a shocking 1 on 1 defender and too unfit/lazy to play in a wing.

Think he needs to get fitter and move to a wing. Come finals time, he isn’t a defenders butthole

Exactly my nomination. For exactly those reasons.

The amount of hype loose defenders get who have no ability to actually defend is amazing. He was brutally exposed yesterday and not for the first time. Apart from being killed by Ah Chee, he then had the bright idea to not even bother to man up on Rayner 10 metres out from goal. It was glorious.

Apart from him, seeing Papley disappear into oblivion for two Grand finals in a row is something to truly savour.

Last edited:
I don't think he was great, not flogged but he certainly lost imo.
he always gets good stats but you gotta watch him closely.

even Daniher pushed him off in a ruck contest. who is a pinch hitter.

And moments like that will happen. Daniher at one point also grabbed a ball out of the ruck with no one laying a finger on him, inexplicably tried to shrug a tackle that wasn’t being made on him, then to complete the farce, took an air swing with his attempted kick.

Grundy comfortably won the hitouts across the game, Sydney actually matched Brisbane for clearances and centre clearances etc.

That’s not to say he had any impact on the match he obviously didn’t but a guy with 28 hit outs and 18 contested possessions is the least of yours concerns on a day where you have 30-odd tackles to three quarter time

Last edited:
They had the two highest disposals in the 2017 grand final yet Adelaide were well beaten
That's because AND ever since Adelaide rely heavily on a few players who deliver low key disposals and they're unwilling to invest time into the youth with the exception of Soligo.

Crouch disposals are basically loose ball disposals to contested contests. Compare that with players like Gulden, JHF, Walsh, Daicos, Serong, Butters, Merrett, Ashcroft.........

This is why obsessing about disposal counts is flawed.

TBH I just looked at the stats and was surprised with Brodies possessions and hit outs, I just assumed with the complete dominance Brisbane hit out centre bounces that Brodie must have been terrible..

Its what he did with it. He infringed against Fort all day and was only pinged once. And when he won the ball he didnt do a lot with it.

Fort was every bit as good as Grundy and did more than enough to let Brisbane's midfield dominate and the Swans midfield to atruggle.

Grndy should have destroyed Fort but didnt come close to it.

Neale still for mine

Impressive when you double down knowing Neale played for 2 months needing 3 painkiller injections a week and actually broke something in his foot in the 3rd quarter and didnt slow down.

The guy is a beast.

Brisbane will be hoping for a quick recovery from whatever surgery he gets during the week.

Its what he did with it. He infringed against Fort all day and was only pinged once. And when he won the ball he didnt do a lot with it.

Fort was every bit as good as Grundy and did more than enough to let Brisbane's midfield dominate and the Swans midfield to atruggle.

Fort was very good in Q1 and probably beat him. Wasn't required to beat Grundy after that. Rest of the team did the job.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You don't get exposed too much with ruck losses IF your backup ruck has a good tank at a minimum, the bonuses come with forward versatility and versatility around the ground.

The advantage Brisbane had was that Joe could pinch hit in the ruck to ease the burden. This is why I gave Joe 4 votes because he was pivotal in that win. Make no mistake about it.

Errol Gulden. I honestly don’t get the hype.
He had a shocker consistent with the overall team effort. I did doubt him early but he is a very talented player. As an opposition player the biggest fear is giving him space because his left foot can hit targets with precision inside 50. A big part of Sydney's success this season relied on him and Heeney delivering inside 50.

I rate him higher than Warner because Warner can't back up his performance over multiple quarters.

And moments like that will happen. Daniher at one point also grabbed a ball out of the ruck with no one laying a finger on him, inexplicably tried to shrug a tackle that wasn’t being made on him, then to complete the farce, took an air swing with his attempted kick.

Grundy comfortably won the hitouts across the game, Sydney actually matched Brisbane for clearances and centre clearances etc.

That’s not to say he had any impact on the match he obviously didn’t but a guy with 28 hit outs and 18 contested possessions is the least of yours concerns on a day where you have 30-odd tackles to three quarter time

By no stretch was he awful. He was ok. But he was against a guy playing his 3rd game of the year and wouldn't have played had it not been for injury. Grundy is supposed to be one of the premier ruckmans in the comp. He needed to be better than "ok".

By no stretch was he awful. He was ok. But he was against a guy playing his 3rd game of the year and wouldn't have played had it not been for injury. Grundy is supposed to be one of the premier ruckmans in the comp. He needed to be better than "ok".

If you’re a ruckman - unless you’re Max Gawn who legitimately can rip a game apart - you can only be as good as your midfield to some degree.

He’s simply not good enough to be at that level. MAYBE at his absolute peak he was but that’s gone past him now.

And for what it’s worth I’m not suggesting that his game yesterday was good enough that if his midfield were on, he would have been winning a norm smith medal or something

Not sure Grundy should be considered premier.
There is a reason the Pies and the Demons let him go.

He was absolutely abysmal.
Refuses to defend and then kicks it to a Lions players chest every opportunity.
He was a big part of the problem.
He did this against us earlier in the season. Reminds me of Michael Pettigrew for us back in the late 2000s. One trick, bolted out from half back and then got found out. We also had Jasper Pittard who did the same.

Grant Birchall was one of the greatest half backs of the last 30 years. (Please Hawks fans, don't turn this into a thread about you)

Blakey is a poor contested defender, one trick coming out of half back and easy to nullify. That many times he dashes out and turns it over with a blind kick.

Grundy played well.
are you sure about that?

He got smashed by a part timer, and Joe Daniher. HE should have dominated if he was the premier ruck that we're all told he is.

He didn't do anything meaningful with his disposals, and clearances. I watched every one and they were not impacting at all. You can look at all the stats you want, they won't tell the whole story.

Ashcroft had 4-5 clear entries to players inside 50. They're imacting disposals and if that leads to 4-5 goals it's worth more than 20 crappy disposals to nowhere.

Tom McCartin is very over rated.

Remove this Banner Ad

Most overrated player in the AFL currently?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back