Toast Much Maligned Murphy Magnificent & Marvelous today

Remove this Banner Ad

One of his better games but I don't think he was in our best half dozen players. Glad to see him down the ground and delivering to Buddy. More of this is required if he is to maintain a permanent spot down back.

But that is exactly my point. These threads are pure retaliation.

if they were there would be equal numbers !
would there not
he had a good game and so someone felt the urge to post a congrats thread
sooooo what,
i would rather read a good supportive thread then one bagging the .... out of my team or my players ,
there are heaps of hodge posts or cyril posts that praise them and people don't complain hey this is too much why are we praising him ..... so why not do some for murph when he plays well !
i have no problems most times with constructive criticism but the stuff Murph cops is not that in most cases ! and to bag a player that had a good game makes me mad !

Ultimately to win a premiership, your best six need to beat their best six, but your last six needs to beat theirs as well - it's the depth of the side.

Our top six is probably the very best six in the league - some will improve, some will plateau and some will start going downhill - there is little scope for improvement there.

What we need to be successful is everyone from seven through to thirty to push up and take the next step, and the next one, and the next one.

Tom Murphy is a part of that group - he get's better - we get better.

It's not that hard to work out.

Ultimately to win a premiership, your best six need to beat their best six, but your last six needs to beat theirs as well - it's the depth of the side.

Our top six is probably the very best six in the league - some will improve, some will plateau and some will start going downhill - there is little scope for improvement there.

What we need to be successful is everyone from seven through to thirty to push up and take the next step, and the next one, and the next one.

It is. It's pretty hard. :)

Ah ha, you see it too!
sunlight.jpg

100% agree. In 2008 GF week, there was an article in the HUN which listed the bottom six of both Geelong and Hawthorn. I wish I could find that article, because our bottom six was actually pretty good, and superior, imo, to Geelongs.

I'm getting the same feeling about this year as well.

if they were there would be equal numbers !
would there not
he had a good game and so someone felt the urge to post a congrats thread
sooooo what,
i would rather read a good supportive thread then one bagging the .... out of my team or my players ,
there are heaps of hodge posts or cyril posts that praise them and people don't complain hey this is too much why are we praising him ..... so why not do some for murph when he plays well !
i have no problems most times with constructive criticism but the stuff Murph cops is not that in most cases ! and to bag a player that had a good game makes me mad !

Don't get me wrong, I HATE the Murphy sledging threads and think very poorly of anyone who starts one. They are mostly fully of crap as any valid criticism is usually diluted by falsehoods and exaggeration (and plain old abuse!). However, the thread that appeared after the Sydney game was ridiculous. Clearly started to provoke people. And yes, this thread was started has a much better tone to it but I can't help feeling, just as you have expressed, that there is a sense among posters to 'even up' the the score of hate v love threads. You cannot tell me he was better than Birchall, Guerra or Gibson against the bulldogs. I don't think his game was in the same league. So in the context of the match, did he deserve praise above those players? How about Hodge or Franklin? Sewell? Mitchell? Sheils? You have to go a fair way down the list before you get to Murphy. Does that mean he does not deserve praise? No. By all means, praise away. But it is so predictable how these threads will run so I find it difficult to believe anyone could start one and not expect some posters will comment against the op. Then others come in here with loaded guns waiting to shoot down dissenters. These threads encourage hyperbole beyond the normal back-slapping that goes on in most praise threads. I have twice read of Murphy this year that he has not played a bad game since 2009 . . . Even though his early 2010 form was terrible and he got dropped, apparently he was without fault. My opinion of his games was that it was a normal Murphy game with a few extra uncontested possessions thrown in. Spectacular? No. Noteworthy? Only if you compare it to other games by Murphy and not other players in our team.

I agree too Brishawk

But don't you find it annoying that players in our bottom six are not praised for their good games because they are not the best players on the ground that day!

We should aim for everyone to play to the best of their ability every game! If this happens, a guy can play his best ever game to the top of his talent and still be the 22nd best player on the field, as he is our 22nd best player. He still deserves to be praised as he has played his best game.

Shouldn't he?:confused:

Don't get me wrong, I HATE the Murphy sledging threads and think very poorly of anyone who starts one. They are mostly fully of crap as any valid criticism is usually diluted by falsehoods and exaggeration (and plain old abuse!). However, the thread that appeared after the Sydney game was ridiculous. Clearly started to provoke people. And yes, this thread was started has a much better tone to it but I can't help feeling, just as you have expressed, that there is a sense among posters to 'even up' the the score of hate v love threads. You cannot tell me he was better than Birchall, Guerra or Gibson against the bulldogs. I don't think his game was in the same league. So in the context of the match, did he deserve praise above those players? How about Hodge or Franklin? Sewell? Mitchell? Sheils? You have to go a fair way down the list before you get to Murphy. Does that mean he does not deserve praise? No. By all means, praise away. But it is so predictable how these threads will run so I find it difficult to believe anyone could start one and not expect some posters will comment against the op. Then others come in here with loaded guns waiting to shoot down dissenters. These threads encourage hyperbole beyond the normal back-slapping that goes on in most praise threads. I have twice read of Murphy this year that he has not played a bad game since 2009 . . . Even though his early 2010 form was terrible and he got dropped, apparently he was without fault. My opinion of his games was that it was a normal Murphy game with a few extra uncontested possessions thrown in. Spectacular? No. Noteworthy? Only if you compare it to other games by Murphy and not other players in our team.

Of course there is. People get angry at those few idiotic posters who are too stubborn to see anything positive about Murphy and frequently bring out the knives even when there is absolutely nothing to back up there statements. They'll often refer to 'games last year' as evidence.

These are the same idiots who will no doubt start a thread when Murphy has 4 or 5 goals kicked on him, something that happens to nearly every defender over a year, and declare their opinion is suddenly validated.

You could look at the creation of these threads as simply evidence being created and backlogged to shut up these stupid fools when the inevitable happens.

I agree too Brishawk

But don't you find it annoying that players in our bottom six are not praised for their good games because they are not the best players on the ground that day!

We should aim for everyone to play to the best of their ability every game! If this happens, a guy can play his best ever game to the top of his talent and still be the 22nd best player on the field, as he is our 22nd best player. He still deserves to be praised as he has played his best game.

Shouldn't he?:confused:

I think that after last week's thread, the point he is playing well was made and that praise in the Autopsy thread should have been enough. I think it is time for Murphy's form to talk for itself rather then the punters on BF speaking for him.

not saying he is better then those players ,

i can see what you are saying too , do agree compare to his other games not sure you could compare him to others in the team as he plays different to them anyway ,

i do see what you are saying though and like you said others who dislike will come in say their piece then others will defend and then it turns into a huge argument not sure if op was trying to stir the pot so to speak anything is possible :eek: nad even if he was not intending to the thread ends up that way no matter what

and thank you for your decent responses to me too :thumbsu:
i would rather a good discussion like this
and have some one explain what they see and feel on the discussion we are having
then have someone have a go at me for my opinion nastily,
i am more likely to see your view in a better light then if done the way you have then other way where i get my back up [which is what i don't want to do]
and can not see for the life of me what they are saying

(Log in to remove this ad.)

not saying he is better then those players ,

i can see what you are saying too , do agree compare to his other games not sure you could compare him to others in the team as he plays different to them anyway ,

i do see what you are saying though and like you said others who dislike will come in say their piece then others will defend and then it turns into a huge argument not sure if op was trying to stir the pot so to speak anything is possible :eek: nad even if he was not intending to the thread ends up that way no matter what

and thank you for your decent responses to me too :thumbsu:
i would rather a good discussion like this
and have some one explain what they see and feel on the discussion we are having
then have someone have a go at me for my opinion nastily,
i am more likely to see your view in a better light then if done the way you have then other way where i get my back up [which is what i don't want to do]
and can not see for the life of me what they are saying
Yes rational debate makes a nice change :)

Cheers to you good sir :thumbsu:

People are over-analyzing things. Haters gonna hate.

Murph played his best game (not the best game) he's ever played for us in his 6 years at the club - The thread is certainly warranted.

All hail BrisHawk!! Hope the tone of this reply is ok with you:rolleyes: How did this thread provoke anyone? if that is the way you saw the thread I started then bloody oath your easily needled . I was trying to state that Murphy was running into good form and playing a valuable role in the team particully in the absence of Stratts & Gilham and that he is harshly criticised for errors where other more fancied players are not. For people to still bag him out in his current form is just pathetic. I am the first one to put my hand up and say I had a severe disliking for the quality of football Tom was putting up over the past couple of years and If there was a better player in the wings at the moment then by all means replace him. The facts are there isnt anyone better and people still calling for is head are just d.ickheads of the highest order who clearly have no idea. What is wrong with asking people to lay off him for a while?

All hail BrisHawk!! Hope the tone of this reply is ok with you:rolleyes: How did this thread provoke anyone? if that is the way you saw the thread I started then bloody oath your easily needled . I was trying to state that Murphy was running into good form and playing a valuable role in the team particully in the absence of Stratts & Gilham and that he is harshly criticised for errors where other more fancied players are not. For people to still bag him out in his current form is just pathetic. I am the first one to put my hand up and say I had a severe disliking for the quality of football Tom was putting up over the past couple of years and If there was a better player in the wings at the moment then by all means replace him. The facts are there isnt anyone better and people still calling for is head are just d.ickheads of the highest order who clearly have no idea. What is wrong with asking people to lay off him for a while?

You called people morons, you told them to 'shut the hell up', and you attacked people who believed Bruce would play a valuable role in the team (which by extension includes the coaching and recruiting staff at HFC). How is that not inflammatory?

Ultimately you and I are on the same side of the Murphy argument. I would just suggest your approach will not see you win over anyone from the hater camp. 3 threads in 3 weeks is too much. I hope folks on this board can resist the urge to start anymore Murphy threads for a while and see what happens. If his for stacks up then everyone can enjoy it without needing to get in a war. If it doesn't, then is it a war worth fighting?

Wanna ask a question without sounding like a hater, because i certainly am not. In fact i've been a defender of Murph over the years.

Is his two howling turnovers had of resulted in goals (which they should of and would of against a good side), would we still have this thread?

Gee talk about divided opinions . I don't see the problem with people talking players up or down. Aren't these forums here for us to voice our thoughts on our beloved Hawks ?

Murphy did have a good game on Sunday, but so did a lot of Hawks. He did some good things and some bad. As some have said before , i think he is in our bottom 6, but in saying that with our defensive injuries he warrants a spot in the side.

As a one on one defender I dont rate him at all, his disposal efficiency and decision making are bad. But when he has help he has shown he can play as part of the system and I think on Sunday this was definetely the case.

ps - Snaithy I'll agree with you on this one but still think your wrong about Ellis !

Gee talk about divided opinions . I don't see the problem with people talking players up or down. Aren't these forums here for us to voice our thoughts on our beloved Hawks ?

Absolutely.

It just helps if both sides give reasonable explanations behind their points of view. One side here seems to be struggling with that concept, instead resorting to over-analysis and 'nit-picking' to try to back up their view. This happens with very few players, but unfortunately and unfairly for him, Tom is one of them.

As a one on one defender I dont rate him at all

Steve Johnson and Eddie Betts spring to mind as just 2 of many scalps that Murph has collected by playing a shut-down role on them - completely one on one.

I'd say Murph, when matched up on opponents who suit his style of play (small and medium forwards), is a great one on one defender. That's his game. It's his rebounding (or lack of) that has let him down over the years. His game against the Dogs was very promising in this regard and hopefully we see more of the same in the coming weeks...

You called people morons, you told them to 'shut the hell up', and you attacked people who believed Bruce would play a valuable role in the team (which by extension includes the coaching and recruiting staff at HFC). How is that not inflammatory?

Ultimately you and I are on the same side of the Murphy argument. I would just suggest your approach will not see you win over anyone from the hater camp. 3 threads in 3 weeks is too much. I hope folks on this board can resist the urge to start anymore Murphy threads for a while and see what happens. If his for stacks up then everyone can enjoy it without needing to get in a war. If it doesn't, then is it a war worth fighting?

can we include the hating threads too on that i am a bit tired of seeing them too :eek::):thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast Much Maligned Murphy Magnificent & Marvelous today

Remove this Banner Ad

Back