Multiple guernsey players

Remove this Banner Ad

Newman - 35 to 1
Thursfield - 36 to 2
Mcguane - 38 to 16
Daffy - 44 to 10
Hall - 37 to 20

Apparently Jake King was going to change from 46 to 13 this year but changed his mind when he got a letter from a young kid saying that he just got the number 46 on his new Richmond guernsy.

Hahah thats awesome! Good on himn for that. :thumbsu:

I did a shirtload of research on this for my recent best #s polls on the Eagles board so I can say confidently:
Mitchell White is the only player to have worn three numbers at the Eagles: 47, 31 and 12.

Players going up a number: Paul Peos wore 20 in his first stint at the Eagles and when he returned from Brisbane wore 32.
Don Pyke moved from 1 to 10.
Chris Waterman moved from 31 to 39.

Players shifting after more than a couple of seasons:
Michael Gardiner played roughly half his games in 19 before shifting to 1 when Heady retired.
Chad Morrison played most of his games in 42 then shifted to 5.
Mark Nicoski played four seasons in 31 before taking 6 on Banfield's retirement.

I think we can safely say that there are a LOT of players who have changed numbers. It seems to be pretty standard to start with a high number, and then gravitate towards a lower one when it becomes available. Which makes me wonder... why are higher numbers considered less desirable?

So who are some players that started with a high number and KEPT it?

I think we can safely say that there are a LOT of players who have changed numbers. It seems to be pretty standard to start with a high number, and then gravitate towards a lower one when it becomes available. Which makes me wonder... why are higher numbers considered less desirable?

So who are some players that started with a high number and KEPT it?

The Gladiator KOOOOOOO-TAAAAA

Justin Peckett 52, 29. 8. 1
Craig Devenport 44, 8, 1
Barry Breen 27, 17, 4
Tony Lockett 37, 14, 4

Number 29 at St.Kilda was a stepping stone number. Worn by Peckett, Burke, Thompson, Jones and Baker before settling for something smaller.

I'm fairly sure that Tim Boyle wore the cursed #36 for a few years before shifting to #20 upon the retirement of Simon Beaumont (I think).

When Jacobs retired earlier this season, Ellis took over his #8 (at the request of Jacobs) so Ellis basically has had three numbers in his Hawthorn career, but only worn two of them on his playing jumper.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I did a shirtload of research on this for my recent best #s polls on the Eagles board so I can say confidently:
Mitchell White is the only player to have worn three numbers at the Eagles: 47, 31 and 12.

Players going up a number: Paul Peos wore 20 in his first stint at the Eagles and when he returned from Brisbane wore 32.
Don Pyke moved from 1 to 10.
Chris Waterman moved from 31 to 39.

Players shifting after more than a couple of seasons:
Michael Gardiner played roughly half his games in 19 before shifting to 1 when Heady retired.
Chad Morrison played most of his games in 42 then shifted to 5.
Mark Nicoski played four seasons in 31 before taking 6 on Banfield's retirement.

Cuz went from 35 to 9.

As posted earlier, a lot of Collingwood players changed numbers throughout their careers in the early days.

It was also the custom at Collingwood (i'm not sure when it stopped) that all Collingwood captains wore the number 1. So all captains up until a certain point at Collingwood wore at least two numbers.

Jeff White went 34-11-34.
Jeff White did not wear number 11. He is infact one of the only ruckman to not try and be Jimmy Stynes and wear number 11 - Simmonds, Jolly, Paul Johnson - (I dont not count Jamar as a ruckman... or anything for that matter).

Jeff Farmer swapped numbers then swapped back (33-8-33) in the early '00s.

Remove this Banner Ad

Multiple guernsey players

Remove this Banner Ad

Back