Rumour Multiple GWS players are set to be suspended to start the 2025 season after distasteful costumes and skits from their post-season function

Remove this Banner Ad

It doesn't all get reported though.

You don't think that when players get strikes for drugs it's not kept hush hush?

Then all of a sudden the players privacy seems to matter.

Shouldn't we know who the crims are before we know who the bad jokers are?

Yeah I agree with that as worded.

But there are different sorts of crimes. Many people argue that personal drug use/abuse should be considered a health issue rather than a criminal one. The whole 'using drugs is bad cos it's illegal' is a bit of a self fulfilling prophecy really.

Pushing, selling drugs - yeah all in all that's probably 'bad'. Taking them - meh unless it makes you hurt people, not so bad.

If a player went on a drug bender and assaulted people, it would get reported.

Yep, going that extra length now, then we'll hire a big boat, no staff for the boat, just the players, go way off shore just to ensure our private function stays private.

Of course one of the players will have get their skippers licence in order for this to happen.

I can see all end of season dress up days being heavily watered down now, or cancelled altogether, then local leagues, we don't want them having controversial fun either, coz they're footy clubs.

Then we'll wade into general society, oh wait.
I just walked down the street to grab lunch and farted while wearing a company polo shirt.

Should I self report?

they dressed as a convicted rapist, and re enacted the crime.
Oh No Wow GIF by The Great British Bake Off

Excessive.

Clearly stated on AFL website that Whitfield and Idon were fined for leadership and the skit they performed. Its pretty cut and dried for me. The AFL are not in a place where they can judge Idon on a skit he does from a film portrayng slavery.
Leadership, and I skit you didn’t see.

May be my American patriotism kicking in then. I don’t believe in the whole kicking out or punishment etc nonsense, I just think your a disgrace and a tosser… but at the same time if people want to be losers and be socially ousted that is their independence and choice to do so. We don’t need penalties handed down
Thats a harsh call. A broad brush of society have always enjoyed dark humour and poking at terrible historical events. There is a video posted here of a whole range of comedians doing jokes about 9:11. Dark humour often stastains us and lets us release on serious painful subjects. Your sensibilities are to be respected if you dont like that form of humour but to imply if you do you are a loser who will be socially ousted just doesnt sit with reality for me

The state, employers or people who seek to censor others thoughts, actions, books read , films watched etc should be approached with care. You dont have to like what other people like or say but outside some pretty strict guidelines to want to censor them is a slippery slope.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well you are correct, that is the whole point about the "woke".

The argument from the woke is - these are our new standards and if you don't agree with them you should be cancelled.

The argument from normal people is - those aren't our standards, thats some crazy shit that you people believe, our standards are still this, basic principles of morality, ethics, being a good person and helping your neighbour.

The argument is not - there are no standards, it's we have different standards and your woke standards go to far. So of course it's not ironic to cancel something for something that everyone agrees is not a standard we in a Western society hold ourselves to - dobbing on your fellow man rather than addressing the issue personally.

You've articulated this very well. I can see your point. We, as a society have corrected certain things, over corrected in some people's views and now we are in a pretty divisive time. I guess in terms of the players, they are paid so much because of all the dollars that sponsorship, marketing etc bring to the game and they are getting held to the most squeaky clean standard. So from that perspective, it was a dumb idea to do what they did as it gives the AFL a chance to do what they please under the ruling of "bringing the game into disrepute."

I think if there's no fine or suspension it's as if they AFL are approving of what went on which they could not under any circumstances be seen to be doing that.

I just walked down the street to grab lunch and farted while wearing a company polo shirt.

Should I self report?
Like everything, subject to opinion.

I don't think so, but there's a minuscule minority that would probably want you locked up. If you're company is averse to what is considered punishable pr like the AFL thinks (which they don't, they just want to be seen as moral to the lowest common denominator, even though everyone can see the transparency), then I wouldn't be.

Crime and punishment and all that.

Thats a harsh call. A broad brush of society have always enjoyed dark humour and poking at terrible historical events. There is a video posted here of a whole range of comedians doing jokes about 9:11. Dark humour often stastains us and lets us release on serious painful subjects. Your sensibilities are to be respected if you dont like that form of humour but to imply if you do you are a loser who will be socially ousted just doesnt sit with reality for me

The state, employers or people who seek to censor others thoughts, actions, books read , films watched etc should be approached with care. You dont have to like what other people like or say but outside some pretty strict guidelines to want to censor them is a slippery slope.
Look up the roast of Pete Davidson and watch some of the stuff they said about his old man.

The barman would be outraged.

Leadership, and I skit you didn’t see.
So on that basis you and I should have no view because neither of us have seen the skit. Are you prepared to drop your criticisms based on this. Let me qualify it. Idon doing a skit based on a fight scene from Django Unchained can not be judged by a group of white people assuming the basis of the skit is true to the film.

Does that work for you. Don't you feel uncomfortable with a man of African heritage being told how he can interpret a slavery based skit by a sports body.

All good points. I've been to Jimmy Carr and had a good laugh at some pretty wrong shit. Love it.

It comes back to context. AFL and treatment of women. Has come a long way. So maybe don't set it back by taking the piss out of sexual assault. Particularly where it involved depictions of footy player (albeit different code).

Why do it? We all have shit ideas from time to time, but usually we wake up to the shitness. From the time this idea came about, to when it was communicated, the planning - all of that - at no point did they realise how ****en stupid it was?

the potential explanation that comes to mind is where a junior staff member - being present - raised it with a manager, who has then raised it on his/her behalf.
Yep.

Or a staff member not being comfortable working with people who just let that happen - perhaps workplace cultural issues.

On the other hand, I'm not denying that there is potential blackmail or similar motives as well. You'd hope not, but its possible.

So on that basis you and I should have no view because neither of us have seen the skit. Are you prepared to drop your criticisms based on this. Let me qualify it. Idon doing a skit based on a fight scene from Django Unchained can not be judged by a group of white people assuming the basis of the skit is true to the film.

Does that work for you. Don't you feel uncomfortable with a man of African heritage being told how he can interpret a slavery based skit by a sports body.

It's another version of Nik Nat being told he needs to be offended by a kid who idolises him dressing up to look like him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour Multiple GWS players are set to be suspended to start the 2025 season after distasteful costumes and skits from their post-season function

Remove this Banner Ad

Back