Rumour Multiple GWS players are set to be suspended to start the 2025 season after distasteful costumes and skits from their post-season function

Remove this Banner Ad

Like everything, subject to opinion.

I don't think so, but there's a minuscule minority that would probably want you locked up. If you're company is averse to what is considered punishable pr like the AFL thinks (which they don't, they just want to be seen as moral to the lowest common denominator, even though everyone can see the transparency), then I wouldn't be.

Crime and punishment and all that.
It's possible someone with IBS was nearby, who hasn't been able to fart safely in public for many years. Clearly I was mocking them with my disrespectful behaviors

It's another version of Nik Nat being told he needs to be offended by a kid who idolises him dressing up to look like him.
A lot of people have that misunderstanding - it isn't about whether or not Nick Nat was offended.

It's about the historic problem with Blackface. Now I originally thought (maybe still do) that that is an American thing and nothing really to do with us - but we live in a globally connected world these days so we tend to get a bit of US culture imparted upon us.

it isn't about whether or not Nick Nat was offended.

It's about the historic problem with Blackface.
And this is the problem, there's a minuscule minority that will be offended on NN's behalf for no reason, or worse use 'blackface' in bad faith coz they got an axe to grind.

So then society bends over backwards to appease the phuq all and no one.

MSM and social media made a big unwarranted song and dance about it, despite NN's meh response, in fact he was flattered.

But oh nooo, we must find offence, and these offence finders who number very few have to be pandered to, appease the lynch mob!

It's all over reactionary.

And this is why Jan and Joe public get pissed off, msm and social media give all the attention to the very few irrational bleeding hearts, then Jan and Joe public start believing that broader society are also bleeding hearts, then everyone falls in line.

Jan and Joe public are now disenfranchised with society somewhat.

This gws debacle just another example.

And this is the problem, there's a minuscule minority that will be offended on NN's behalf for no reason, or worse use 'blackface' in bad faith coz they got an axe to grind.

So then society bends over backwards to appease the phuq all and no one.

MSM and social media made a big unwarranted song and dance about it, despite NN's meh response, in fact he was flattered.

But oh nooo, we must find offence, and these offence finders who number very few have to be pandered to, appease the lynch mob!

It's all over reactionary.

And this is why Jan and Joe public get pissed off, msm and social media give all the attention to the very few irrational bleeding hearts, then Jan and Joe public start believing that broader society are also bleeding hearts, then everyone falls in line.

Jan and Joe public are now disenfranchised with society somewhat.

This gws debacle just another example.
Is it about offence or not being a campaigner?

Do you think blackface is ok?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is it about offence or not being a campaigner?

Do you think blackface is ok?
Depends on one's view, campaigner or offended.

How does society arbiter that? Well we already do, in our liberal democratic society msm and social media would have you believe that Jan and Joe public have their jerry cans and lighters at the ready at the sniff of player misconduct and support that notion.

This is the problem, the minuscule minorities are painted as the widespread, and these minorities on either end of the spectrum are incorrectly viewed as the main. And so society over reacts to certain things, depending on how one defines what is over reaction and what is not.

Certainly in my view the NN 'incident' was most certainly an unwarranted knee jerk reaction, the media painted it as wider accepted reaction, unlikely it was.

Using the 'blackface' argument is disingenuous and in bad faith, coz clearly NN was flattered of the worship from the young fan - which is what the narrative should've been, not attack a young fan or their parent because of the over reactive view.

Certainly the gws debacle should not have made publicity, what they did, if they did it out of the public eye is harmless to anyone else, if a tree falls in the forest and all that. Which was obviously the intent, keep it to ourselves.

But now it's out, there's the oh so ready pessimistic irrational offence seekers (quite a few on here), and the AFL reacts the way it did because society believes the impractical minorities is the shared sentiment of Jan and Joe public. It isn't, and here we are.

So on that basis you and I should have no view because neither of us have seen the skit. Are you prepared to drop your criticisms based on this. Let me qualify it. Idon doing a skit based on a fight scene from Django Unchained can not be judged by a group of white people assuming the basis of the skit is true to the film.

Does that work for you. Don't you feel uncomfortable with a man of African heritage being told how he can interpret a slavery based skit by a sports body.
Whoa there turbo. No, I don’t know what was in the skit, but I do know it was enough for some fairly harsh punishment, as has played out. We may never know what the skits involved, but if the players don’t appeal, which so far they haven’t, it would be fair to assume it wasn’t nothing.

If that is all Idun did, then fair enough, I agree that he shouldn’t be judge by a bunch of white people with how he would like to find humour in slavery.

That’s the whole problem with sections of this thread - “ The AFL are overreacting..” etc, you can’t know they are overreacting without knowing the full details.

I’m not saying the punishments are fair, because I don’t know, but I will say I don’t think the AFL would just randomly suspend/fine a large number of players without some cause.

Thats a harsh call. A broad brush of society have always enjoyed dark humour and poking at terrible historical events. There is a video posted here of a whole range of comedians doing jokes about 9:11. Dark humour often stastains us and lets us release on serious painful subjects. Your sensibilities are to be respected if you dont like that form of humour but to imply if you do you are a loser who will be socially ousted just doesnt sit with reality for me

The state, employers or people who seek to censor others thoughts, actions, books read , films watched etc should be approached with care. You dont have to like what other people like or say but outside some pretty strict guidelines to want to censor them is a slippery slope.
I agree, and I said in other posts I am not a lefty who censors or wants to ruin people, but I have my opinions to give like anyone else.

So what is this strict guideline?? Is racist or sexist jokes included in the dark humor that is fine??

A lot of people have that misunderstanding - it isn't about whether or not Nick Nat was offended.

It's about the historic problem with Blackface. Now I originally thought (maybe still do) that that is an American thing and nothing really to do with us - but we live in a globally connected world these days so we tend to get a bit of US culture imparted upon us.
An 'historic' problem, which no one in 2024 was around to personally experience.

Doesn't that come down to 'too soon'?

Common sense says the individual needs to choose their audience wisely, which by the sounds of it, they tried to do.

Hypothetically, I wonder how an 'evil woman' themed night would have been responded to. Would the GWS AFLW captain be upset if Coniglio dressed as Leonarda Cianciulli carrying around a few bars of soap?

On motorola edge 30 pro using BigFooty.com mobile app
I think this comes down to personal opinions here. For mine this is just off topic given the sickening nature of terrorism, poke fun at the terrorists, but don’t poke fun of the tragedy itself.

Sounds like plenty of people will hold similar views about racism or sexism with a viewpoint it’s ok to throw in some humor for particular audiences, which is fine I am not either or, like you said.. just pick your audience appropriately

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour Multiple GWS players are set to be suspended to start the 2025 season after distasteful costumes and skits from their post-season function

Remove this Banner Ad

Back