Rumour Multiple GWS players are set to be suspended to start the 2025 season after distasteful costumes and skits from their post-season function

Remove this Banner Ad

Well you don’t run the AFL or have anything to do with it, so that’s not your call.

And the complaint came from outside apparently, so it obviously wasn’t private.

I don't think woke corporations should be able to tell people what's okay to joke about in their own private lives either.

I'm not sure that's realistic in the AFL industry.

The AFL is an entertainment industry with an enormous amount of its product's viability depending on children and women being involved as participants and/or as consumers.

The AFL have to cater for the values and interests of its customers.

The AFL can't have a 'boys will be boys' type approach to this stuff these days if it means damaging their brand in any way. And with the demographic of their customers these days, they clearly believe it would.

FWIW though, to be clear, I doubt the AFL would give the slightest shit about any of this stuff - unless they believe it could or will become public and unless they don't think they can distance themselves from it.

A Mad Monday session being described as a 'private party' isn't going to cut it.
How is hiring a private room not a private party. The afl could have ignored this.. but ohhh no

On the contrary, it is exactly the correct use of the term 'woke'. It is only the 'markets at work' because companies have been brainwashed by DEI Executives that they need a crystal clean image for whatever they are trying to do and that they need to appease to the Helen Lovejoy types despite zero evidence of this actually impacting the bottom line (and often, on the contrary, negatively impacting the bottom line).

Depends what you mean by the ‘Diversity’ bit in DEI?

If you’re referring to recruitment teams filling quotas then you may be right.

But if you’re referring to companies that foster genuine diversity of opinion in its decision making (which tends to come from diversity of people), then in my own experience they way way outperform companies that are more homogenous and have more centralised decision making.

Hahah.

Why does saying it's 'private' change anything?

Because a private event and public event are obviously very different and have different standards.

At a public event I would expect them to represent their clubs, at a private event they can be themselves.
They're not.

Then why are people getting fined by their employer for joking at a private event? Would you like your company to hear about the things u say in private?

How is hiring a private room not a private party. The afl could have ignored this.. but ohhh no

Because a “private room” involves venue staff.

And it’s totally fair play (and expected) for the venue management to complain to GWS if something happened in front of the venue staff that was inappropriate.

And if GWS receive a complaint, then they’re obliged to report it to the AFL.

Absolute joke and indicative of hypocrisy of AFL!

Players can blow off steam in a private function. Sure the humour was likely crass but not directed at anyone (thus no harm). A Farken nanny state the AFL has turned into. Yet, Stengles nearly dies from 'drink spike' and its own drug policy is widely seen as a joke - but AFL finds this event worthy of scrutiny.

GAGF!

One of the few precedents I can think of is Broady getting 3-4 game ban for circulating the picture of the chick with the mint cans with his premiership medal (face not shown)

Honestly I don’t think the GWS players would’ve done anything close to that.

They should choose to sit down during the first 2 mins of their first practice game to make a point of it.

Very big overreaction by the AFL deserves a overreaction from the players.

‘Never let a good crisis go to waste’

Maybe the AFL are using this to try to put a stop to end-of-year shenanigans?

Because a “private room” involves venue staff.

And it’s totally fair play (and expected) for the venue management to complain to GWS if something happened in front of the venue staff that was inappropriate.

And if GWS receive a complaint, then they’re obliged to report it to the AFL.

It was a private party. Why would a venue staff member complain to the employer of these guys?

The staff member might complain to their own manager but given that nothing illegal happened a valid response might be "perhaps you are not suited to work here."

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Because a private event and public event are obviously very different and have different standards.

At a public event I would expect them to represent their clubs, at a private event they can be themselves.

Then why are people getting fined by their employer for joking at a private event? Would you like your company to hear about the things u say in private?
Diddy's parties were 'private'.

Freedom of expression should be allowed like freedom of thought and speech.

Just like comedians can have freedom of thought and speech.

Regulating every human move is not going to end well and people will eventually rise if you take away their freedom to express themselves no matter how much it may hurt your precious feelings.

Diddy's parties were 'private'.

And Diddy broke the law, do you understand the difference here? Do I need to make it simpler?

Because someone was obviously present and complained about it.

Isn't that the whole premise of this thread??

An individual complaining about a private event shouldn't go to their employer. If they broke the venue's policies then the venue should have kicked them out, if they broke the law the venue should have reported them to police.

Freedom of expression should be allowed like freedom of thought and speech.

Just like comedians can have freedom of thought and speech.

Regulating every human move is not going to end well and people will eventually rise if you take away their freedom to express themselves no matter how much it may hurt your precious feelings.
Serious question...

Since when, ever in history, has there been no consequence for saying something that pisses someone off?

I got punched in the face for the first time when I was 13 because I said something that offended someone.

Why do people make out like this is a new concept?

Serious question...

Since when, ever in history, has there been no consequence for saying something that pisses someone off?

I got punched in the face for the first time when I was 13 because I said something that offended someone.

Why do people make out like this is a new concept?

Well this was not a thing since 5-7 years ago.

Its a foreign degenerate ideology that has reached our borders.

As I said - take away a person freedom and they will rise.

And Diddy broke the law, do you understand the difference here? Do I need to make it simpler?
The point is, that just because it's 'private', doesn't give you a green light to do whatever you want. Especially when there are people working there.

Whether it's 'private' or in the middle of Bourke St doesn't matter - if you piss someone off then there will be consequences.

Simple.

Well this was not a thing since 5-7 years ago.

Its a foreign degenerate ideology that has reached our borders.

As I said - take away a person freedom and they will rise.
Huh??

You think that 5-7 years ago you could go around saying whatever you want and never cop a whack for it??

I punched a bloke in the face once at the Boundary Hotel because he told me he didn't like my hat. That was about 25 years ago.

Seriously, when was this mythical time that anyone could just waltz around saying stuff that pisses people off without there being any consequence for it??

Huh??

You think that 5-7 years ago you could go around saying whatever you want and never cop a whack for it??

I punched a bloke in the face once at the Boundary Hotel because he told me he didn't like my hat. That was about 25 years ago.

Seriously, when was this mythical time that anyone could just waltz around saying stuff that pisses people off without there being any consequence for it??

Ah I got it - so you are the violent left wing type. Makes sense.

No more replies from me - enjoy your militant life.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour Multiple GWS players are set to be suspended to start the 2025 season after distasteful costumes and skits from their post-season function

Remove this Banner Ad

Back