Rumour Multiple GWS players are set to be suspended to start the 2025 season after distasteful costumes and skits from their post-season function

Remove this Banner Ad

3aw reported that Connor Idun dressed up as Django, and I think did something from the movie. He apparently asked the indigenous players if they were ok with it before hand. They didn't mind, yet he still might be penalized

So that rules out basically EVERY funny Comedian of the last 100 years LOL.
Do you ever leave your House? Must be tough living a Life, looking out for everything & anything that has the potential to 'offend' you

My life is great. I used to be one that used to make people the butt of my jokes for a laugh. Let me say it's a better life when you don't.

3aw reported that Connor Idun dressed up as Django, and I think did something from the movie. He apparently asked the indigenous players if they were ok with it before hand. They didn't mind, yet he still might be penalized

What would they know anyway. Dillon and Kane decide right and wrong. Because they have life experience.

So Tropic Thunder was wrong. Aussies cant get away with it because of the accent.

Yes you would. But these players were not at a work party.
They were still representing GWS, and the AFL though. Even if your work Xmas party was unofficially organized by workers, and not the company itself. You're still representing the company when you attend it. Because it is still considered a work related function. When they organized the event, they would have most likely listed it under GWS end of year party or something / reserved for GWS players. Not under Toby Greenes Birthday bash.

Same example above. I worked at Target, workers orgnised a piss up at a pub, reserved tables. Wasn't paid for, organised or endorsed under Target. But the table was reserved for "Target Christmas Party". Even if it was just listed under a workers name and the company wasn't listed. If you mention to staff that you're all work for target, and am having a end of yeat get together. You have just announced you're there representing the company, and can still be liable for actions under the CoC.

Asking the indigenous players for permission is a strange choice.

My life is great. I used to be one that used to make people the butt of my jokes for a laugh. Let me say it's a better life when you don't.
So your a recovering arseh*le I take it?
You know making jokes punching up or down, doesn't make you Satan right?

Asking the indigenous players for permission is a strange choice.

Had they not asked for sure the cries would have been "How dare they be racist towards their Aboriginal teammates !!"

So now if you ask its wrong and if you dont ask its wrong. They probably should have had separate parties.

But you can speak up, my line however is different to your line and that is where the world will always be at.
What I call funny you might be upset about. You don't get to set the rule because you are upset.
So if one of your friends objected to something you did or said, you would disregard his objection, even if he was clearly uncomfortable?

If it’s something that has to be asked, there’s a hint there that it might not be completely ok. Often people just go along to get along, too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fining Toby Greene is the most bizarre thing to me, I don't recall Riewoldt being fined when St Kilda set fire to a dwarf.
The idea that because we(AFL) walked passed something at another time that not walking passed it today is weird, it bewildering to me.

Hey Hey its saturday had a red faces act come on in the 90's do a black face skit, Harry Connick Jnr was visibly disgusted, the rest of Australia didn't seem to either know or care why, while the rest of the world labelled us racists for having it on national TV.....we all know that shits not ok now, and we don't accept it.

Toby Greene is the captain of the football club. He has access to more training and conversations about behavioural standards than most other 30yr olds in this country, so I have absolutely no issue with him being held to account for letting this crap play out before his eyes.

Besides, he's a millionaire....he's going to barely notice a $20k fine, even if they keep it at that much, and if this is a wake up call for him and any other footy players, then that's great.

So if one of your friends objected to something you did or said, you would disregard his objection, even if he was clearly uncomfortable?

Add context. What were they upset over?
Bought a Holden instead of a Ford?
Came out as gay?
Watched a game of soccer?
Admitted to wearing nappies?
Prefer cider to beer?

Context matters most. One of the favourite things of the outraged is to take something out of context, paraphrase it and change its meaning, and then create an issue where none existed.

No I would take it on board and think about it. If I disagreed with him and think he is easily offended I would tell him that. I would then continue my conversation now without him in the presence of it.
Something very personal to him does not have to be personal to everyone else. This is the problem, we have got to a situation that if you are upset then the whole world needs to be upset. It makes no sense at all.

Had they not asked for sure the cries would have been "How dare they be racist towards their Aboriginal teammates !!"

So now if you ask its wrong and if you dont ask its wrong. They probably should have had separate parties.
But I don't get it. Django Unchained is a slave revenge blaxploitation movie. Got nothing to do with indigenous Australians. Idun is a black man whose father was from Ghana. Why would he need permission from his indigenous teammates to wear a cowboy outfit and recite Quentin Tarantino dialogue?

Came out as gay?
Prefer cider to beer?

Context matters most. One of the favourite things of the outraged is to take something out of context, paraphrase it and change its meaning, and then create an issue where none existed.
Context doesn't matter to these perpetually offended Karens

Only $3k in fines for lighting a dwarf on fire

Gehrig says hi as well

The idea that because we(AFL) walked passed something at another time that not walking passed it today is weird, it bewildering to me.

Hey Hey its saturday had a red faces act come on in the 90's do a black face skit, Harry Connick Jnr was visibly disgusted, the rest of Australia didn't seem to either know or care why, while the rest of the world labelled us racists for having it on national TV.....we all know that shits not ok now, and we don't accept it.

Toby Greene is the captain of the football club. He has access to more training and conversations about behavioural standards than most other 30yr olds in this country, so I have absolutely no issue with him being held to account for letting this crap play out before his eyes.

Besides, he's a millionaire....he's going to barely notice a $20k fine, even if they keep it at that much, and if this is a wake up call for him and any other footy players, then that's great.

Maximum fine the PA agree to is 5k isn't it.

Came out as gay?
Prefer cider to beer?

In the current context: treatment of women.

Only $3k in fines for lighting a dwarf on fire

This scandal has proven that GWS are officially a real club.

The venue should have vetted the staff to see who was ok with working a function for young footballers wanting to let their hair down.
"Alright guys, who here is offended by sexist, homophobic, or racist jokes? What about rape, child abuse..? Sorry, we're cancelling your shifts".

Good luck with that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour Multiple GWS players are set to be suspended to start the 2025 season after distasteful costumes and skits from their post-season function

Remove this Banner Ad

Back