Rumour Multiple GWS players are set to be suspended to start the 2025 season after distasteful costumes and skits from their post-season function

Remove this Banner Ad

You dont see a little bit of hypocrisy with the AFL taking issue with players misbehaving while raking in billions of dollars from gambling addicts and having no issue with kids being bombarded with gambing ads?
I would love gambling ads to be banned etc but the answer is no - lik at a basic level gambling is legal and rape is both illegal and widely reviled.

I would love gambling ads to be banned etc but the answer is no - lik at a basic level gambling is legal and rape is both illegal and widely reviled.
Legality doesn't necessarily determine the amount of damage something causes to society. Gambling is one example, alcohol is another.

I agree with HairyO's point 100%. The AFL's selective morality is a poor look. And hypocritical.

I can guarantee you 100% that every single club in the AFL and I mean the players here think it’s fine which means we are all supporting a sporting league where all the participants Are of very poor character and not worthy of our support.

You can guarantee me 100% that every player in the league thinks its fine? That's a pretty revealing statement to be honest. I don't know a single bloke who thinks its fine, and I'd call attention to anyone I knew behaving like that.

I don't think we can even be sure that the GWS players were ok with it. Some may have stayed quiet but sheesh... would it be a surprise if an indigenous or other player of colour came out and said 'actually, that time where a senior player at the club re-enacted slavery with a much younger black team-mate really upset me'.

Even beyond that, it sounds like the players themselves have been doing a bit of reflection. Here's a quote from Toby Greene today:
"As a leader of the club and captain of the team, I am embarrassed that we are in this situation and that I failed to uphold my responsibilities as a leader to prevent it," he said in a Giants statement.
"I am disappointed I did not adequately process the situation, and intervene, in the moment."

I don't think a single incident defines any individual or group as being of 'poor character and unworthy of our support'. It's disappointing, and I'm sure frustrating to a whole range of people. But individuals and groups make mistakes, and how they respond is often just as revealing of their character as the initial act. That's what remains to be seen here.

And also maintaining a sense of perspective, this is bad, but in some ways they'll get off pretty lightly. The players are copping a fine or a short suspension and will keep their jobs. Not many workplaces where that would be the case

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Legality doesn't necessarily determine the amount of damage something causes to society. Gambling is one example, alcohol is another.

I agree with HairyO's point 100%. The AFL's selective morality is a poor look. And hypocritical.

The AFL have no one that calls them out, they own the media and therefor they are a law to themselves.

You can guarantee me 100% that every player in the league thinks its fine? That's a pretty revealing statement to be honest. I don't know a single bloke who thinks its fine, and I'd call attention to anyone I knew behaving like that.

I don't think we can even be sure that the GWS players were ok with it. Some may have stayed quiet but sheesh... would it be a surprise if an indigenous or other player of colour came out and said 'actually, that time where a senior player at the club re-enacted slavery with a much younger black team-mate really upset me'.

Even beyond that, it sounds like the players themselves have been doing a bit of reflection. Here's a quote from Toby Greene today:
"As a leader of the club and captain of the team, I am embarrassed that we are in this situation and that I failed to uphold my responsibilities as a leader to prevent it," he said in a Giants statement.
"I am disappointed I did not adequately process the situation, and intervene, in the moment."

I don't think a single incident defines any individual or group as being of 'poor character and unworthy of our support'. It's disappointing, and I'm sure frustrating to a whole range of people. But individuals and groups make mistakes, and how they respond is often just as revealing of their character as the initial act. That's what remains to be seen here.

And also maintaining a sense of perspective, this is bad, but in some ways they'll get off pretty lightly. The players are copping a fine or a short suspension and will keep their jobs. Not many workplaces where that would be the case

Toby green was given that to read, otherwise the day after he would have come out and said it. You are living in a fantasy world mate. This will continue yo happen. Never ever will it stop. It will now go underground mad Monday.
I am not saying I think it’s right I am just saying it happens and it’s harmless fun as they intended it to be.

In case you are unaware of the definition

The use of humour, irony, exaggeration, or ridicule to expose and criticize people's stupidity or vices, particularly in the context of contemporary politics and other topical issues.
Satirising DV and SA, particularly in the fashion the players have, is repugnant.

In case you are unaware of the definition

The use of humour, irony, exaggeration, or ridicule to expose and criticize people's stupidity or vices, particularly in the context of contemporary politics and other topical issues.
You are seriously kidding yourself if you think these blokes were performing satire.

Besides that, sexual assault is not a topic for satire in any case.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour Multiple GWS players are set to be suspended to start the 2025 season after distasteful costumes and skits from their post-season function

Remove this Banner Ad

Back