Rumour Multiple GWS players are set to be suspended to start the 2025 season after distasteful costumes and skits from their post-season function

Remove this Banner Ad

It's that some of the players dressed up in a way that is fairly benign (e.g. Idun as Django) and they are also copping penalties.
I would take it much further than that.

Its not fairly benign its not wrong in any way. What is outrageously wrong is a group of people, who I will assume are mainly white, have seen themselves fit to judge a black mans actions in depicting a scene from a popular movie themed on slavery.

The AFL need to be called out on this significant error of judgement.

You’re assuming that’s all Idun did. The suspensions seem on the harsher side, but that probably let’s you know how bad the skit was.

The MRP has nothing to do with this.
Doesn't matter. A white man like Dillon doesnt have the right to judge a black mans skit around slavery. Its culturally wrong.

The fact that it was a private function matters, but the staff deserve a safe workplace as well.

I have no idea what they dressed up as or did. But if I employed staff at a pub and they complained about people dressing up say as Hitler or Stalin or something then they'd have my support to spit in their beers.
If that's the case, movies such as the Death of Stalin have no place in modern culture. Yet they are produced.

Its not crime and punishment.

The AFL is doing image management and PR.

They don’t want to be associated with this stuff and are making a statement. End of story.
They've hurt the feelings of sponsors and potential sponsors, and there's no greater sin than potentially costing the league money.

So players are free to do anything because the AFL accepts gambling revenue?

Legal, yes. The AFL has literally zero moral ground to stand on.

Is that really so hard for you to get?

They bring in billions of dollars from an industry which destroys hundreds of thousands of lives.

They have no issue with kids being bombarded with gambling ads ensuring a new generation of misery.

We banned cigarette and alcohol ads for a reason. Gambling ads should be treated the same way.

If that's the case, movies such as the Death of Stalin have no place in modern culture. Yet they are produced.

Weird reference point. I suspend my disbelief when watching a movie, but I'm still aware I'm watching a piece of fiction. I doubt the Giants shindig had the nuance of Armando Ianucci's satire.

Plus the viewer is left in no doubt that Beria et al are unpleasant people. To say the least. It's satire, but you're left in no doubt where your sympathies lie.

Maybe the GWS need to rehearse more & work on their script.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Legal, yes. The AFL has literally zero moral ground to stand on.

Is that really so hard for you to get?

They bring in billions of dollars from an industry which destroys hundreds of thousands of lives.

They have no issue with kids being bombarded with gambling ads ensuring a new generation of misery.

We banned cigarette and alcohol ads for a reason. Gambling ads should be treated the same way.
We banned alcohol ads?

I get what you are saying, I just don’t agree with it.

Weird reference point. I suspend my disbelief when watching a movie, but I'm still aware I'm watching a piece of fiction. I doubt the Giants shindig had the nuance of Armando Ianucci's satire.

Plus the viewer is left in no doubt that Beria et al are unpleasant people. To say the least. It's satire, but you're left in no doubt where your sympathies lie.

Maybe the GWS need to rehearse more & work on their script.
Not weird at all. I;m waiting for the explanation as to why Connor Idun is fined for imitating a black character. Dillon would have to engage in some pretty impressive mental gymnastics.

This is peak virtue signalling by the AFL. It's the absolute zeitgeist of where we're at as a society. See but don't do. Be seen but don't act, in any meaningful way.

We banned alcohol ads?

I get what you are saying, I just don’t agree with it.

How many alcohol ads do you see during the day, during C and G rated programmes?

Thry are banned. If the govt had any balls theyd do the same with gambling ads and have them after 9.30pm and not C or G rated programmes.

But mainstream sports are all G rated programmes.

Major sports and gambling companies simply cant be trusted to regulate themselves. They want kids growing up to become addicts.

How many alcohol ads do you see during the day, during C and G rated programmes?

Thry are banned. If the govt had any balls theyd do the same with gambling ads and have them after 9.30pm and not C or G rated programmes.

But mainstream sports are all G rated programmes.

Major sports and gambling companies simply cant be trusted to regulate themselves. They want kids growing up to become addicts.
When the footy is on, on the afl website/app, on the radio, I see/hear plenty of booze ads. They aren’t banned.

Edit: Carlton Draught is a major partner of the AFL, BWS is an official partner along with Pepperjack wine

I think cinema as an artform offers a much bigger opportunity to put it into context though, to actually be clever and genuinely satirical. Just like the Hitler Downfall parodies or Hogan's Heroes.

Dressing up as someone and drinking beers at the pub doesn't, without any context it just comes across as gauche and crass at best, potentially insensitive or offensive at worst.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour Multiple GWS players are set to be suspended to start the 2025 season after distasteful costumes and skits from their post-season function

Remove this Banner Ad

Back