Rumour Multiple GWS players are set to be suspended to start the 2025 season after distasteful costumes and skits from their post-season function

Remove this Banner Ad

So players are free to do anything because the AFL accepts gambling revenue?
I actually see his point as being the other way around.

Ie, if the AFL is going to take the moral high ground over this current issue, then they should be doing the same in relation to gambling - particularly as gambling is far more destructive to society than a bunch of blokes behaving in a questionable way in a private setting.

I think cinema as an artform offers a much bigger opportunity to put it into context though, to actually be clever and genuinely satirical. Just like the Hitler Downfall parodies or Hogan's Heroes.

Dressing up as someone and drinking beers at the pub doesn't, without any context it just comes across as gauche and crass at best, potentially insensitive or offensive at worst.
Hogan's Heroes was pure genius, particularly as it first aired just 20 years after the end of WW2.

It worked so well because the target of the ridicule and satire in the show was overwhelmingly the Germans.

I'm not particularly comfortable with players making light of dometic violence & rape but handing down the penalties like they have, once again, the AFL has shown how inconsistent & selective they are with their actions.

If we look back over the past 5-10 years, there has been numerous incidents where players have been photographed snorting white powder and in the case of Marlion Pickett, was found guilty of assault & armed robbery yet the AFL turned a blind eye at every chance.

And on top of all that, as someone else so eloquently pointed out, the AFL allows gambling ads to be rammed down our throats ad nauseum.

There are so many "wrongs" associated with both sides of this GWS incident it's hard to know where to start.

The players choice of dress-up was incredibly naive, in very poor taste & woefully thought out, it's time they grew up in that area, they are not young boys anymore. Yes, it was their end of season piss-up but surely some mature standards in society have to come into play at some stage for them.

The powerbrokers at GWS should have got all of the players in a room and read them the riot act good & proper. Their inhouse culture & standards cannot be dropped or compromised ever and that should apply equally to every club, not just the Giants. It's time for a serious wake-up call at the Giants after their finals fade-out and now this very juvenile & distasteful set of antics.

I would have preferred that the AFL let the Giants managment deal with it inhouse instead of getting involved, it's more a GWS issue than an AFL one.

As for the AFL, if Dillon & Kane want to start throwing around suspensions for out of season incidents, then FFS, have the gumption & moral fibre to do it right across the board, they can't penalise some players and let others off the hook any more.

I'm not suggesting the Giants players be let off the hook here but the issuing of fines & in-season match suspensions for next year is the height of hypocrisy by the AFL.

What a ****ing mess !!!

When the footy is on, on the afl website/app, on the radio, I see/hear plenty of booze ads. They aren’t banned.

Edit: Carlton Draught is a major partner of the AFL, BWS is an official partner along with Pepperjack wine

Ive not watched via the app. Ch 7 and Foxtel are banned from alcohol ads as I stated above. That the AFL gets around this on their app is yet another sign the AFL just doesnt care.

Its like the Ricky Gervais line at the Golden Globes - if ISIS wanted to advertise during the football, the AFL would take their money.

Gambling ads are hypocrisy ; but moreso the AFL's close connection to Carlton beer.

'We know that alcohol causes young men to do silly things, and we like the daft costumes of Mad Monday, but take it too far & you'll be in the headmaster's office on Monday.'

The alcohol removes your inhibitions, let's fine players for removing their inhibitions.

Hogan's Heroes was pure genius, particularly as it first aired just 20 years after the end of WW2.

It worked so well because the target of the ridicule and satire in the show was overwhelmingly the Germans.
Dad's Army and the Blues Brothers too, Nazism was so nonthreatening at the time it was seen only as worthy of satire and mockery. Nobody considered that it might actually be taken seriously again.

Captains get fined if more than 2 players are involved in a melee?

Captains are fined if more than 20 free kicks are given away?

I bet Laura is investigating.
Butters will be in trouble as a vice captain. He gets to run around hitting people weekly and already the most fined player.

Last edited:
Is failing to display leadership a new match day rule for 2025? Few skippers might be concerned

Or, failing to stop your team mates from being campaigners.

Max Gawn had better up his game. Busy times.

Ive not watched via the app. Ch 7 and Foxtel are banned from alcohol ads as I stated above. That the AFL gets around this on their app is yet another sign the AFL just doesnt care.

Its like the Ricky Gervais line at the Golden Globes - if ISIS wanted to advertise during the football, the AFL would take their money.
They’re not banned at all, they are restricted.

You can show alcohol advertising on tv;

After 6pm during sports programs on weekends and public holidays

12-3pm on school days

8.30pm - 5am all other days

So not banned at all, just restricted.

I’d be happy for gambling ads to have similar restrictions.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

12-3pm on school days

Indeed …. If you follow mlb you’ll note every podcast is sponsored by gambling companies offering100s of dollars in free bets to get new punters hooked …. It’s a ****ing disgrace

12-3pm on school days

They are banned from displaying those ads during those times. If your argument is only over "restricted" or "banned" we are probably done.

Seems impossible 2 people dressed as towers could re-enact such an event but you've obviously done your homework on it to be this offended.
I can tell you for a fact many American would spit in their faces or knock them on their arses if they saw that. terrorism attacks are not a subject of fun or mockery. In surprised they didn’t dress up as the Hamas terrorists while they were at it and the Israel babies while they were at it since you think that’s not too bad

I can tell you for a fact many American would spit in their faces or knock them on their arses if they saw that. terrorism attacks are not a subject of fun or mockery
Yes, they would. The same way that a lot of Jewish people would knock your head off for a holocaust joke, or Maddy McCann's relatives would for a Maddy joke.

But none of this means these things can never be joked about, ever. For every topic, there is a time, a treatment, and a place.

Comedy = tragedy + time

The standard format is to make an offensive joke then follow it with "Too soon?" A quick search on this website for "too soon" found 3 references to Bruce Lehrmann and Brittany Higgins, 1 about Paul Pelosi, and 1 about Ayrton Senna's death.

Surely jokes about 9/11 are not too soon? Banned for 2 weeks!

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour Multiple GWS players are set to be suspended to start the 2025 season after distasteful costumes and skits from their post-season function

Remove this Banner Ad

Back