Rumour Multiple GWS players are set to be suspended to start the 2025 season after distasteful costumes and skits from their post-season function

Remove this Banner Ad

If that's the case, movies such as the Death of Stalin have no place in modern culture. Yet they are produced.
The Death of Stalin is a fantastic film and only gets better with re-watching.

But the difference is that (a) it's done by a brilliantly talented comedic writer and a wonderful veteran cast who know how to make Stalin and his reign of terror the butt of the joke, and (b) you make the choice to pay money and walk it to watch a satire of Stalinist Russia, and have no right to complain about being offended.

Yes, they would. The same way that a lot of Jewish people would knock your head off for a holocaust joke, or Maddy McCann's relatives would for a Maddy joke.

But none of this means these things can never be joked about, ever. For every topic, there is a time, a treatment, and a place.
A time and place to joke about a terrorist bombing a tower?? Can’t imagine this great timing for it. Some things just aren’t appropriate for humor due to the sick nature of it. You can try all you want, but you will probably be that weirdo or loser people look down on. Each to their own.

A time and place to joke about a terrorist bombing a tower?? Can’t imagine this great timing for it. Some things just aren’t appropriate for humor due to the sick nature of it. You can try all you want, but you will probably be that weirdo or loser people look down on. Each to their own.
You don't think anyone has ever made a 9/11 joke? Are you new to the internet?

They are banned from displaying those ads during those times. If your argument is only over "restricted" or "banned" we are probably done.
You said they were banned, they aren’t. They also aren’t banned on the apps as far as I’m aware.

Your argument that the afl can’t punish anyone because the accept legal (currently) gambling money is also a flawed argument. If this is your position all I can say is you will be continually disappointed

I think some of the people covering the story are being very loose with the term “private”.

Now I’m no fancy big-city lawyer but I think that an event held on the premises of another business, under the auspices of their liquor license, insurance, policies etc as well as some interactions with their staff (whether that is management, bar staff, security, cleaners, caterers etc) who are entitled to certain degrees of workplace safety, can’t really been seen as a truly “private” event.

Never mind him, what about Samuel L Jackson? He's the one who really has some questions to answer about that character he played in Django :p
I'm highly offended by his anti-snake material

I think some of the people covering the story are being very loose with the term “private”.

Now I’m no fancy big-city lawyer but I think that an event held on the premises of another business, under the auspices of their liquor license, insurance, policies etc as well as some interactions with their staff (whether that is management, bar staff, security, cleaners, caterers etc) who are entitled to certain degrees of workplace safety, can’t really been seen as a truly “private” event.
It was held at the Woolly Bay Hotel, which is a pub. Just don't ask people what the word 'pub' stands for.

I'm not particularly comfortable with players making light of dometic violence & rape but handing down the penalties like they have, once again, the AFL has shown how inconsistent & selective they are with their actions.

If we look back over the past 5-10 years, there has been numerous incidents where players have been photographed snorting white powder and in the case of Marlion Pickett, was found guilty of assault & armed robbery yet the AFL turned a blind eye at every chance.
Pickett hasn't been found guilty of anything yet, which is why the AFL never sanctioned him.

The AFL runs an investigation and will hand out punishments unless the Police get involved in which case they defer to their investigation. Obviously the latter takes longer and is far more rigorous which is why it sometimes seems like players get away with things and other times players get hit with punishments quickly.

But the difference is that (a) it's done by a brilliantly talented comedic writer and a wonderful veteran cast who know how to make Stalin and his reign of terror the butt of the joke, and (b) you make the choice to pay money and walk it to watch a satire of Stalinist Russia, and have no right to complain about being offended.
Punching up vs punching down matters as well.

We're jumping at shadows a bit though until we get more details of what actually happened.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Will also be interesting if said pub loses their liquor license out of this though probably not the smartest idea to have released these things that happened on your premises without you intervening

Do you issue them a fine? If not you will be fined for failing to display leadership and good morals
I work as a physio in a clinic, so would be very out of place to hear that in a medical setting.

Don’t pay too much attention or care too much most of the time tbh. Joking about a terrorism attack on USA isn’t one I am fond of given my other half is American and over there you don’t joke about it. You may as well dress up as hamas and a headless baby while you’re at that line of joke, not much difference.

Just a no for me and entirely disgraceful. But that’s me and I feel most would probably agree

I work as a physio in a clinic, so would be very out of place to hear that in a medical setting.

Don’t pay too much attention or care too much most of the time tbh. Joking about a terrorism attack on USA isn’t one I am fond of given my other half is American and over there you don’t joke about it. You may as well dress up as hamas and a headless baby while you’re at that line of joke, not much difference.

Just a no for me and entirely disgraceful. But that’s me and I feel most would probably agree
Why do you keep saying "terrorist attack"?

The theatrical and artistic quality are irrelevant. It's the doing of it that is the issue. Secondly, it's advertised like most movies are with trailers and what not and ads etc. So 'public' are exposed to it even without seeing the movie.

I wonder how many bucks / hens nights - featuring strippers, topless waitresses and whatever else might go on - have been held as "private functions" at any number of these businesses, quite possibly including this very same one. They very often rent out "private rooms" for "private functions" and stick a "closed due to private function" sign outside the door to warn off uninvited guests. Hell, I've attended a bucks night or two in "private function rooms" at pubs myself in my younger days.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour Multiple GWS players are set to be suspended to start the 2025 season after distasteful costumes and skits from their post-season function

Remove this Banner Ad

Back