Rumour Multiple GWS players are set to be suspended to start the 2025 season after distasteful costumes and skits from their post-season function

Remove this Banner Ad

I read it. She desperately tries to make a nothing event 'traumatising' and overblows pub/drunken antics

It's genuinely laughable how out of proportion this story has blown
Overblown? Probably.....

But this is what society is now, if one finds it armeggedonly abhorrent then the rest of society must nod in agreeance.

That's why msm paints it like Jan and Joe public are somehow up in arms, when most of Jan and Joe are like 'meh, pretty terrible and I don't agree wtih it, but I ain't gonna waste emotional energy on it'

But you must be offended damn it!

TL;DR - This debacle has highlighted that this is a rather complex time in society where our environment (cameras and social media in particular) has changed far more rapidly than our ability to evolve as social beings living in that more open society. Issues surrounding privacy, empathy, and the mechanisms of human interaction are at play. All parties concerned could have conducted themselves in a manner that would have led to less distress and a greater chance at healing and learning.

How the **** is this story still going on - https://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/c...t/news-story/dbbe3dc88c03b98f17d620a551e1533b

It's just laughable. I like this Abbey Gelmi traditionally but this GWS story was "terrifying", fmd
Tyson Otto, whoever he is, needs an editor for goodness sake.

"The players' have accepted..."

"...have understandably deeply effected Gelmi..."

Aside from that, I found Gelmi's insights a bit worrying. Yes, men like BT, Robbo, Cornes, Darcy, even Whateley for some reason all cop shit from footy fans (one only needs to read a couple of pages of any gameday thread to witness this), but the criticisms are more all encompassing rather than directed at what they are wearing, or whether or not they should be "...sticking to sports they know..."

That rates of Domestic Violence go up around finals time is disturbing...could there be a link with gambling? I believe that there would be a direct link in some of these instances of DV. This is a direct display of the AFL's hypocrisy in terms of their holier than thou response.

And the "dick pic"...can any of you straight blokes tell me whether or not women like such visual depictions of sex like we men do? I would think that they would respond more favourably to a witty comment that makes them laugh or something that makes them feel sexy rather than seeing your member appear on their screen.

Anyway, this issue is clearly a pandora's box and encapsulates this moment in society rather well: issues pertaining to privacy in the milieu of universal access to cameras and the ability to immediately disseminate "news" or other information via social media; the observable trend in hypersensitivity by some people who are all too ready to take offence at the actions or words of others, often on behalf of others, regardless of intent; and an evolving understanding that there are actually some truly horrible people out there (I know someone who was arrested recently for interfering with his own 9 year old daughter! Would never have guessed it...) living amongst the majority, who are genuine, well-intentioned and caring people, and more pointedly, the sense that, given some of the aforementioned facets, we should be able to stop all such crime or damaging behaviour...

These are showing us that our evolution in terms of dealing with the rapidly changing environment in which we live is lagging.

The best answer I have is that people should probably talk with one another more, face to face, rather than "going behind peoples' backs" by using social media without considering the socio-emotional impact on all of the individuals concerned. A lot of mental stress could have thus been avoided. In this case, the hotel staff apparently reported it to the AFL, which is better than using social media, but there are still issues when it comes to reporting behaviour that was supposed to be for the consumption of the attendees to the private event only.

In this instance, the hotel staff should have felt empowered to intervene during the course of the event. I know, this is probably easier said than done. And yes, I will admit that one or two players probably (I reserve firm judgement because I have not personally seen the specific acts) went too far. They were disinhibited (alcohol, stress relief etc.) and engaged in acts that must be considered in the realm of dark humour, not to mention, undertaken by brains with frontal lobes that have not yet fully developed.

When one considers all of the facts, I think everyone involved (players, club, pub staff/snitch, and the AFL) all could have and should have acted in a more well-considered, holistic manner.

Privacy is important, as is the opportunity to explain why some people do stupid shit when in certain groups and in certain circumstances, as is the opportunity to explain why certain actions/behaviours are inappropriate.

Empathy/understanding and taking the time to explain things have been undervalued by almost everyone in this debate. The players should be advised that, before the age of around 25, their judgement is likely to be lacking in certain circumstances, and that, while this does not completely excuse their behaviour, it does go some way to explaining it.

Signing off from this issue now. Thanks to anyone who gave enough time to read this attempt at a conclusion to this whole debacle.

Last edited:
I read it. She desperately tries to make a nothing event 'traumatising' and overblows pub/drunken antics

It's genuinely laughable how out of proportion this story has blown
Womens violence isn't a nothing issue. And if everyone got that, and did something about their behaviour, then articles like that wouldn't ever have to be written.

So to answer the question "how is this story still going on?" - because ****wits like you haven't got it yet.

Womens violence isn't a nothing issue. And if everyone got that, and did something about their behaviour, then articles like that wouldn't ever have to be written.

So to answer the question "how is this story still going on?" - because ****wits like you haven't got it yet.
When minor shit gets blown out of proportion it takes away from serious issues and victims

The fact that you think jokes about sexual assault and unsolicited dick picks to strangers is 'minor' is the problem.

I suggest you do more reading.
Gelmi didn't need to piggyback the gws story.

The gws story might take the cake for biggest mountain out of molehill this year. Thinking that isnt some acceptance of DV. You're drawing very long bows, it's actually pathetic

Gelmi didn't need to piggyback the gws story.
It's her podcast, she can bring up anything she likes at any time.

They are connected though. The common theme being people in the AFL community disrespecting women.
The gws story might take the cake for biggest mountain out of molehill this year.
Except it is a mountain. Every women journalist in the afl has come out and said it and tried to explain to people like you why it is.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour Multiple GWS players are set to be suspended to start the 2025 season after distasteful costumes and skits from their post-season function

Remove this Banner Ad

Back