Opinion Mumford v Duncan

Remove this Banner Ad

Mumford would have been no savior to the footy we have played since he left... he could be handy now, but we are banking on HMac making a difference.

The structure issues of Mumford leaving are interesting, as it the contribution of HMac and the development of Blicavs (who might not have been picked up if Mumford had of stayed) will determine how well we've managed since Mumford left.

Mumford would have been no savior to the footy we have played since he left... he could be handy now, but we are banking on HMac making a difference.

The structure issues of Mumford leaving are interesting, as it the contribution of HMac and the development of Blicavs (who might not have been picked up if Mumford had of stayed) will determine how well we've managed since Mumford left.

I think thats already been determined.

I am just a little concerned about Mummy's attitude. I know there have been recent criticism on this Board re Duncan not looking as good as he did - BUT reckon he still sems to have a better work ethic and off field far less likley to give us grief than Mummy will for Sydney.

Maybe wrong but from a distance I get that feeling.

I think thats already been determined.

I was speaking specifically about our structural ruck management, which I personally don't think we know. The 2011 premiership was largely due to impact of Ottens imo, unrelated to Mumford. So the effects of Mumford leaving are still unknown and depend on how we've traded/drafted since Ottens left.

ahh...ok.

I am of the opinion that HMac holds the key to the ultimate success for us this year....not the be all and end all....but a key factor all the same. He will make a huge difference to us if he can regain full fitness which I hope and believe he will.

He's a fine player. HMac and West is out first choice IMO.....fingers crossed!

That result? Sure.

But they had 18 other wins during the season, 13 of which he played in. They lost three of eight in the games that he missed and were comprehensively belted in the ruck in all three. And if they'd lost another game, they wouldn't have finished in the top four.

Saying that Sydney doesn't win the 2012 premiership without Mumford is the same as saying that we don't win the 2011 premiership without Pods.

Correct. It is well documented that Mumford was injured at training during grand final week and was almost a late withdrawal on the day, hence why he was subbed during the third quarter.

Nice comparison with Pods in 2011... leading goalkicker in a premiership side is a nice accolade to have, even if his contribution to the grand final was non existent (through no fault of his own).

There are a few murmurings on the Swans board that Mumford may be keen to finish his career where he began it (and I don't mean Bunyip).
I'm sure the Bunyip butcher would welcome him back with open arms!

We would be quite solid flag favourites right now plus Mumford and minus Duncan.

Long term, Duncan will be a 200 gamer though.
Wow! A big call CE. Plus Mummy or not. I'd suggest our form is not worthy of such an accolade.

As I see it the Hawks are deserved favourites with quite a few teams in a bunch a little behind them. Very open race for the silverware as we speak with no solid flag favourite.

Wow! A big call CE. Plus Mummy or not. I'd suggest our form is not worthy of such an accolade.

As I see it the Hawks are deserved favourites with quite a few teams in a bunch a little behind them. Very open race for the silverware as we speak with no solid flag favourite.
It's a call that reflects how big I believe our ruck deficiency is and how much better a team we'd be with a decent first ruck.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's a call that reflects how big I believe our ruck deficiency is and how much better a team we'd be with a decent first ruck.
No question that to be a serious contender we need to improve our ruck work, particularly at centre bounces where clean take aways are gold.

Just think we've also been deficient in too many other areas of our game too (from a consistency perspective) to be solid favourites, as we speak, even with a better output from the rucks

Hopefully by the later rounds we will have a settled the side which will include HMac, Varcoe, Chapman, Taylor Hunt, Rivers, Vardy. Plus improved form from Lonergan, Hawk and Duncan. Then maybe the word favourite could come into play. Though I must say I'm happy for the Hawks to carry that load.

We have a decent first ruck...he just needs to get on the park :)

Mumford, at least in the games I have seen, has been ordinary, and not as good as Mike Pyke this season. With Tippett due back he might be negotiating from the reserves.

I dont believe on present form Mumford would add anything to Geelong....

We'll be better long-term (the new ruck rules seriously hurt the Mumford-types), but they don't win the 2012 premiership without Mumford as their #1 ruckman. Both teams end up happy. Good trade.
No way, Mummy was poor in the GF, a virtual non-contributor. May have helped get them there, but you could not have rated his GF effort. The Canadian was best ruck on the ground, easily.

Hadn't seen it like that TW....great work.....not really a Mumford fan so it looks even better for me. :)

BTW....did I note a slow start to the Fantasy Football season? Guess you're just building...:thumbsu:

No way, Mummy was poor in the GF, a virtual non-contributor. May have helped get them there, but you could not have rated his GF effort.

I've already addressed this. To be honest, I thought it was pretty obvious what I was getting at: it's like saying we wouldn't have won the 2011 premiership without Podsiadly, even though he didn't contribute on grand final day. Which we wouldn't have, by the way.

A premiership consists of 25 or 26 games, not one.

We got rid of a good but not great player and picked up someone who will be a very, very good player in return. Thanks to our recruiters we're ahead.

The other thing that probably doesn't get enough consideration is the salary cap effect. My guess is we would have saved well over a million by having Duncan on the list since 2010.

Mumford vs Duncan?

It isn't as simple as that. You must remember that securing pick 28 allowed us to trade pick 33 for pick 40 and 42 - Vardy and Christensen. If we didn't have pick 28 we may not have been willing to do the other trade.

Duncan/Vardy/Christensen for Mumford/Pick 33 (Anthony Long!) looks pretty good :)

Pick 56 was also included in the deal when we traded 33 - used to pick up Cowan, and some talk that he will play VFL this weekend which will be good.

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion Mumford v Duncan

Remove this Banner Ad

Back