Opinion Mumford v Duncan

Remove this Banner Ad

There are a few murmurings on the Swans board that Mumford may be keen to finish his career where he began it (and I don't mean Bunyip).

Is he? That's nice. Pity that he chose to leave for more money then, and only after he was 800km away did he start banging on about how he deserved a Grand Final spot (which he absolutely did not).

Screw him. Gutless two-faced liar and coward. He got the money he wanted, he somehow has conned the entire football world he's Polly Farmer (he's not), and he's not professional enough to even get fit. But still excuses are made.

Besides, don't we only recruit people of character?

Is he? That's nice. Pity that he chose to leave for more money then, and only after he was 800km away did he start banging on about how he deserved a Grand Final spot (which he absolutely did not).

Screw him. Gutless two-faced liar and coward. He got the money he wanted, he somehow has conned the entire football world he's Polly Farmer (he's not), and he's not professional enough to even get fit. But still excuses are made.

Besides, don't we only recruit people of character?

You're not a Mumford fan and that's fine. I am, although I'm disappointed we couldn't keep him, and I'd gladly welcome him back to the club if he wanted to return.

Certainly money was a huge factor in his move, but the opportunity to be number one ruck would have been a big lure. He left at the end of 2009 when Ottens and Blake had just played in a flag. Sydney could offer more money and greater opportunities and he took it. Fair enough, it happens.

Not sure if your 'people of character' comment is in reference to him leaving Geelong or something else? I've not heard anything about him being a disruptive influence at the Swans and they seem to value character and integrity as much as we do (as Barry Hall made clear in his Open Mike interview on Fox Footy the other week).

There are a few murmurings on the Swans board that Mumford may be keen to finish his career where he began it (and I don't mean Bunyip).

Link? I cant see Geelong trading for him. We have moved on , and the game may just have moved on. With 80 or so rotations next year Id say we would want very fit and very mobile players... so if we are going to trade a ruckman in he would have to conform to this . We have brought HMac to the club for that role of the lumbering type , dont need another.

I would seriously rather have Blicavs than Mumford, even right NOW., not just the future. I have seen all of Mummy's games v Geelong, and he did not beat Blake back then or West since. May be alone on this issue, but Blicavs will offer more than Mummy, and the big M looks to be more out of sorts each successive year.

I would seriously rather have Blicavs than Mumford, even right NOW., not just the future. I have seen all of Mummy's games v Geelong, and he did not beat Blake back then or West since. May be alone on this issue, but Blicavs will offer more than Mummy, and the big M looks to be more out of sorts each successive year.

Not alone at all...I think you're 100% right.

One thing that annoyed me all of last year was the talk from non-Geelong people about "how much would Geelong love to still have Mumford right now", used to read it all the time on live chats on the herald sun & such, but especially during periods when Mumford was injured (don't think he got suspended last year). I had the same response every time I read or heard those comments:
"What good is a guy who can't get on the park? He may have the potential to be a an asset but it does Geelong no good if he is on the sidelines injured."
I still feel the same way now about Mumford - he can be one of the most dominant big men when he is fit & firing, he is a strong mark & can kick goals, but ultimately that means shit all if the guy is injured & sitting in the stands. Knowing his history with how much weight he has lost, you have to wonder how much longer he has in the game & if his knees & joints will be able to hold up to the test of AFL for another 4yrs or so?
At this stage it is a win-win for both clubs, if you ask the same question in another 4 years I think Geelong will end up the clear winner and that Duncan will become a 10yr player for the Cats, but doubt Mumford will be a 10yr player for the Swans.

You're not a Mumford fan and that's fine. I am, although I'm disappointed we couldn't keep him, and I'd gladly welcome him back to the club if he wanted to return.

Certainly money was a huge factor in his move, but the opportunity to be number one ruck would have been a big lure. He left at the end of 2009 when Ottens and Blake had just played in a flag. Sydney could offer more money and greater opportunities and he took it. Fair enough, it happens.

Not sure if your 'people of character' comment is in reference to him leaving Geelong or something else? I've not heard anything about him being a disruptive influence at the Swans and they seem to value character and integrity as much as we do (as Barry Hall made clear in his Open Mike interview on Fox Footy the other week).

It's a reference to him, but not just him. Don't you see the contradiction? Plenty of supporters here are very proud of how we recruit, not only for football skills, but that they are people of character. That's great. The point is, if a player will leave at the drop of a hat - for more money or opportunities - therefore putting himself way before the club, surely we don't want those people in the first place right?

That goes equally for Ablett or Prismall too. Or Colbert.

Careful VD, you're introducing facts and logic into the discussion.

It's a reference to him, but not just him. Don't you see the contradiction? Plenty of supporters here are very proud of how we recruit, not only for football skills, but that they are people of character. That's great. The point is, if a player will leave at the drop of a hat - for more money or opportunities - therefore putting himself way before the club, surely we don't want those people in the first place right?

I don't have anything against Mumford, but I think we need to put it in the context of the situation at the time as well, when we were looking down the back of the couch for money to offer Ablett in the next offseason and we were lowballing pretty much every veteran with only the promise of being able to stay and play with their premiership mates as incentive. You could argue that, indirectly, Mumford made it a 'me or Ablett' situation.

I understand that, but we were also happy to embrace Ottens (who was booed for the rest of his career by Richmond supporters; I know a Tigers fan who barracked against us in all four GFs because he didn't want to see Otto have success), Rivers (who arguably walked out on Melbourne when they needed experience and leadership more than ever), McIntosh, Caddy etc.

I always laugh at St Kilda supporters who hope Goddard and Ball break their legs each week, but consider Hamill and Gehrig to be club champions when both went to St K for money.

Anyway, I can certainly understand your POV. I guess that makes a story like Stokes special - he has had opportunities to leave (West Coast chased him when he was last out of contract) and perhaps play a larger role for other clubs. Geelong has supported him through bad form and personal issues and he is rewarding us with career best football. Others, like Mumford and Prismall, didn't want to fight for that opportunity and that's their right.

As has been pointed out though, Mumford really doesn't seem himself this season. Not sure if he's carrying an injury or not but Pyke has clearly overtaken him at the moment. In 2011 Mumford was comfortably one of the dominant rucks in the comp and unlucky not to make the final AA team IMO.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I understand that, but we were also happy to embrace Ottens (who was booed for the rest of his career by Richmond supporters; I know a Tigers fan who barracked against us in all four GFs because he didn't want to see Otto have success)

To be honest, I've never heard that before. As far as I remember Richmond supporters were pretty cordial towards Ottens after he left. He clearly needed a change of scenery, after stagnating badly between the age of 22-24. They got quite reasonable compensation for him (picks 12 and 16, which they pissed down the drain, but that's beside the point. They could have had Moloney and 16 if they wanted). And it still took him a couple of years to find his groove.

I'm not saying you're wrong; just that it's the first time I've heard of Richmond supporters having a particular issue with Ottens.

I also
Mummy was in fine form last night against the Pies. Smashed Jolly comprehensively.

Duncan has been on a bit of a downer recently, but has really shown promise.

So as most have said, win-win for me.

Though as a dreamer......lose Blake keep Mummy would have been win-win for us.
think it is win/win Duncan has more scope for improvement though

When Tippett becomes available Mumford will struggle to get a game.

Pike is ahead of him.

Meanwhile Duncan will play every week he is fit for the next 8 years minimum.

We did quite well in this deal in my opinion.

I'd agree that Duncan isn't likely to threaten in the Brownlow on current form, but he is probably going a little better than some "hard markers" give him credit for.
For a kid still two weeks shy of his 22nd birthday he has been good enough and durable enough to clock up 60 games already.
For the 9 games he has played this season he is averaging over 20 disposals per game, 7.2 marks and 2.4 tackles.

His 2013 season highlights (so far) are:
18 disposals (13 kicks 5 handballs), 8 marks and 2 goals in Rd 1 7-pt win over Hawthorn at the MCG (1 Apr 2013)
24 disposals (11 kicks 13 handballs), 9 marks and 4 tackles in Rd 3 16-pt win over Carlton at Etihad Stadium (13 Apr 2013)
23 disposals (13 kicks 10 handballs) and 6 marks in Rd 4 21-pt win over Sydney at the SCG (19 Apr 2013)
27 disposals (18 kicks 9 handballs), 11 marks and 2 goals in Rd 6 44-pt win over Richmond at the MCG (4 May 2013)

21 disposals (12 kicks 9 handballs), 7 marks and 5 tackles in Rd 9 48-pt win over Port Adelaide at AAMI Stadium (25 May 2013)

We did quite well in this deal in my opinion.

I think both clubs, ended up doing well. He has been a significant part of our finals push the last couple of years (his grand final was not that good) but we benefited greatly from his input, he is a quality ruckman.

Although at the time you thought you were getting a bad deal (With you recruiters though :D), I actually like when in the long run trade deals work out win/win for both clubs.

By the way, I think Duncan is looking amazing. Looking at your squad know, a lot of people would be envious with your list management.

Dunc is very, very skilful but right now I think he's really close to going down the Higgins path of becoming a wasted talent.

Dunc is very, very skilful but right now I think he's really close to going down the Higgins path of becoming a wasted talent.

based on what exactly.... because he has drifted out of a few games... like the other 21 blokes in the hoops?

Go Catters

Correct. And it's amazing how many Geelong fans refuse to acknowledge this.

Mumford needs to be at absolute peak fitness physically, and working himself to exhaustion to be a good footballer. His game is based on effort and workrate. He doesn't possess supreme natural talent. As soon as his fitness or motivation wanes his performance plummets - which is exactly what we've seen. He's going to turn into a giant sloth as soon as he stops playing footy.

I'll take Duncan every single day thanks.

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion Mumford v Duncan

Remove this Banner Ad

Back