Opinion Mumford v Duncan

Remove this Banner Ad

Dunc is very, very skilful but right now I think he's really close to going down the Higgins path of becoming a wasted talent.

You're joking right?

This year alone, Duncan is averaging 20.2 touches a game compared to Higgins 13.7. Higgins is 3 years older and has played 46 games more. Duncan may not be a superstar but he's a very good young player. Rapt to have him.

You're joking right?

This year alone, Duncan is averaging 20.2 touches a game compared to Higgins 13.7. Higgins is 3 years older and has played 46 games more. Duncan may not be a superstar but he's a very good young player. Rapt to have him.
I would argue he has stalled though. He seems the type that is more at risk of relying on talent rather than work ethic.

A minor complaint but I even noticed on two occasions on Sunday that when standing the mark he did not raise his arms. Maybe one out of one hundred kicks will be smothered, but you can't do this with your hands by your sides. Maybe that one in one hundred chance leads to a turnover and the Cats win. Small things but I wouldn't say he is desperate for his spot.

I would argue he has stalled though. He seems the type that is more at risk of relying on talent rather than work ethic.

A minor complaint but I even noticed on two occasions on Sunday that when standing the mark he did not raise his arms. Maybe one out of one hundred kicks will be smothered, but you can't do this with your hands by your sides. Maybe that one in one hundred chance leads to a turnover and the Cats win. Small things but I wouldn't say he is desperate for his spot.

Haven't noticed that to be honest, but fair enough. Could be worth dropping for a week to put a dent in his ego if that's the case. He wouldn't be the only member of the side who could use it either.

He's critical to our chances. We have hardly any players between 50-120 games on our list in the right age group, and none between 60-100 except for him. He's got to be in top form as we near the finals.

Haven't noticed that to be honest, but fair enough. Could be worth dropping for a week to put a dent in his ego if that's the case. He wouldn't be the only member of the side who could use it either.

He's critical to our chances. We have hardly any players between 50-120 games on our list in the right age group, and none between 60-100 except for him. He's got to be in top form as we near the finals.
I probably rate him as the most potential of any of the next generation. I feel he's doing nothing that he wasn't doing in 2011 (when he probably had to work harder to get a game). By now he needs to be having an impact in his worst games and getting in the votes in his best games. Right now his output is not where it should be.

Would we? What's the evidence for this? It's far from reality.
It might be far from your perception of reality, but that's my perception. I share @SJ's view about Duncan's output this season and I am probably at one extreme end of the spectrum when it comes to a view about our ruck situation. While Simpson was promising at the weekend, he has a way to go. I just feel Mumford would fill the most obvious need we have in the 22 right now while Duncan would barely be missed. That probably says more about the role and importance of a ruckman versus that of a winger/flanker than it does about their respective talents.

I probably rate him as the most potential of any of the next generation. I feel he's doing nothing that he wasn't doing in 2011 (when he probably had to work harder to get a game). By now he needs to be having an impact in his worst games and getting in the votes in his best games. Right now his output is not where it should be.
Yeah I'm probably with you there.

I've been a huge rap for Duncan for a long time.
He had a significant body size from day one and knew how to use it. I don't know what I expected from him by now, but he seems to be behind the curve.

I would really love to see him getting the ball on the 50m line a hell of a lot more. He can do a ton of damage from there. Maybe that would help my perception.

Hopefully he's learnt a valuable lesson - instead of telling everyone who you're going to emulate - just do it. Actions almost speak the loudest.

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion Mumford v Duncan

Remove this Banner Ad

Back