Murray Football League (Part 1)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Murray Football League

journeyman said:
I heard that today but didn't believe it. I wouldn't have thought Mulwala would be able to match the money of O&M and GV clubs. Maybe they got him a good job? I think there might be a connection with Brendon Cooper too. Benalla must be spewing. Big coup for Murray league

Stevo will be a sensational attribute to Mulwala and has topped them up nicely. Expect them to give it a real shake 06. Mulwala, apparently, are a very financial club and make huge $ from their annual fishing comp. They're probably not paying out anywhere near as much as top O&M and GV clubs, so would have had enough in the coffers to snag Stevo.

I also heard that Stevo wanted a job working in the beef industry (?). Sounded a bit far fetched, but if it were true, a bloke like Keiran Kelly could have easily gotten him the job he wanted..

I also heard about the house on the river - sounds like a sweet deal..

STEVENS TO ADD TO LIONS' PRIDE

January 23 2006
Shepparton News

Former Kangaroos and Port Adelaide utility Michael Stevens has reached a verbal agreement to play with Mulwala in Murray Football League this season.
The 25-year-old, who is the younger brother of AFL legend Anthony Stevens, has been hot property since he was de-listed by the Kangaroos at the end of last year, despite missing just one match at Arden St during 2005.

After being drafted by the Power with the fourth selection in the 1998 draft, Stevens played 17 games with the South Australian club including the 2002 preseason premiership before he was traded to North Melbourne.

During the subsequent three seasons, he played a further 44 games with the Kangaroos before he was surprisingly axed at the end of last year.

"It's fantastic news," Mulwala coach Chris Kennedy said.

"Not just for us, but for the town and the league.

"Here's a bloke who is 25 and is coming straight out of the AFL system and into the Murray league.

"We think he's going to be a pretty important player for us."

After losing successive preliminary finals, Stevens joins former Benalla and Shepparton United coach Brenton Copper and Justin McMahon (Wangaratta) as the latest big-name signing for the Lions.

McMahon, who joins Mulwala after a decorated career in Ovens and Murray League, will be Kennedy's assistant.

"It's great to have Justin on board as well," Kennedy said.

"He's played 160 O & M games, primarily as a run with on-baller, but he'll offer plenty to the side.

"And Coops is a tremendous player as well."

While a host of football clubs were trying to lure Stevens to their fold, including Benalla where his brothers Anthony and Brendan play, the former Tatura star will now call Mulwala home.

"Once a Stevens gives you his word, you know you're right," Kennedy said.

"It's pretty exciting."

Signings will help build Blues' ranks

January 27 2006
Shepparton News

Numurkah has announced its first major signings of the 2006 Murray Football League season, with Adrian Cole and Jamie Robbins both committing to the Blues.
Cole, a member of Numurkah's last premiership side back in 2000, returns to the club after a one-year stint as assistant coach with Shepparton East, while Robbins makes the move north from powerful A-grade amateurs side Uni Blues.

Numurkah coach Rob McCartney said both players would add some real bite to the team's talented, but light, midfield brigade.

"We're starting to build up our midfield options," McCartney said yesterday.

"Both players are capable of rotating through the middle, and in particular with Colesy, give us a bit more strength over the ball, which we lacked last year."

Cole, 29, also takes the reins as McCartney's assistant.

Robbins, 21, played primarily as a floating half-forward with the Uni Blues seniors and is likely to fill a similar role with Numurkah.

The pair's arrival will help offset the loss of talented defenders Chris O'Dwyer, Mark Counsel, Anthony Olney and Tyrone Bradley, the latter heading over to England during winter to play cricket.

The Blues are also said to be leading the race to secure the services of another former player, Andrew Storer.

Like Cole, Storer played a key role in Numurkah's last grand final victory over Deniliquin in 2000.

The dangerous forward is returning to the Goulburn Valley after a stint in western Victoria.

Berrigan's Young Gun Kane Goddard look's to be heading to Cobram. He has played 2 Senior season for berrigan, Runner up in B&F both times, made Picola FL team of the year both times, plays Onball or Forward. Not signed yet but meeting with Pressident today

Heard from a very reliable source that Nath Gemmill is back in Nathalia and has been training hard.

Hank - how long til we find out some names on who Tonny has recruited?

T.Perry said:
Heard from a very reliable source that Nath Gemmill is back in Nathalia and has been training hard.

Hank - how long til we find out some names on who Tonny has recruited?

Nath is back in action T. Perry and from all reports put in an excellent performance at the Melb Big Day Out along with a host of other Nathalia boys.

I haven't heard much about Murray League recruits apart from Stevens to Mulwala and Bradshaw to Cobram.
Anyone know what's happening at Rumbalara. I imagine they would have to pick up a few to be at the top of the ladder.

journeyman said:
Nath is back in action T. Perry and from all reports put in an excellent performance at the Melb Big Day Out along with a host of other Nathalia boys.

I haven't heard much about Murray League recruits apart from Stevens to Mulwala and Bradshaw to Cobram.
Anyone know what's happening at Rumbalara. I imagine they would have to pick up a few to be at the top of the ladder.

i'd imagine that Nath would be the kind to perform very well at a do like the big day out! Still, won't take him long to recover - no doubt he'll be flying for the start of the season, how would he go if he lined up on Stevo??

Haven't heard a thing about Rumba's recruits - don't think Hickmott left them any $ to play with - could the rumour I heard that he was getting $60K possibly be true?? Or is this potentially what he'd be on, say, over 2-3 years??

T.Perry said:
Haven't heard a thing about Rumba's recruits - don't think Hickmott left them any $ to play with - could the rumour I heard that he was getting $60K possibly be true?? Or is this potentially what he'd be on, say, over 2-3 years??
Heard the same rough figure the other day but I don't know how reliable it was and I found it very hard to believe. It sounds ridiculous. I'd say over a few seasons sounds much more reasonable. It's like when they say someone at AFL level has landed a $1M contract - it's over x years (or at least at the moment!)

It's one thing to be able to spend a bit of money, but there would be plenty of very capable coaches who would do the job for a lot less than $60k per year and the club would be just as well off (and that is taking nothing away from Hickmott).

TuskenRaider said:
Heard the same rough figure the other day but I don't know how reliable it was and I found it very hard to believe. It sounds ridiculous. I'd say over a few seasons sounds much more reasonable. It's like when they say someone at AFL level has landed a $1M contract - it's over x years (or at least at the moment!)

It's one thing to be able to spend a bit of money, but there would be plenty of very capable coaches who would do the job for a lot less than $60k per year and the club would be just as well off (and that is taking nothing away from Hickmott).

From what ive heard from within the Aboriginal community Rumba seem to think that all the boys even those who can earn big $$$ will come together and play for nothing. Not happening anymore!!! . I know for a fact that when they made the GF a few years ago certain players turned down big kanga from other clubs Leighthen Briggs being the main one. They will struggle on the bigger grounds and it will be a long year for the boys from North Shepp.

rumba will not struggle on bigger grounds, actually the bigger grounds will suit them just look at there record on there home ground past 2-3 years i think they have only lost about 4 -5 games on it, and mercury drive is a big oval.

A few club legends have returned to Cobram. They may give the flag a tilt this year. ******** Burton is training the house down, Shane Bulleen is running around like he's 21 again, and Lee Whitten is a Stephen Milne clone

ormond-allen said:
A few club legends have returned to Cobram. They may give the flag a tilt this year. ******** Burton is training the house down, Shane Bulleen is running around like he's 21 again, and Lee Whitten is a Stephen Milne clone

Lee Whitten isn't the infamous EJ by any chance?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

good to see the Murray Football League adminstrators keep their website up to date.

Breaking news on the website is that the 2005 Fixture is now available!

Travvy43 said:
good to see the Murray Football League adminstrators keep their website up to date.

Breaking news on the website is that the 2005 Fixture is now available!

was that sarcasm or did you mean 2006?:D

sammm said:
was that sarcasm or did you mean 2006?:D

Full blown sarcasm.

Ringo, it will be interesting to see how tonny go in the Murray league. I think a few are eagerly anticipating them announcing a few recruits for 2006, the people at the helm for the blues are very tight lipped on this issue at the moment.

Hank may be able to give Big footy readers a jump on the signings for the blues in 2006.

Believe Hickmont is getting $60-$70,000 for the year. Is Full-time and does have to do a fair bit of work other than coach the footy side. But does get a lot of perks including spending two days a week at the Lexus centre learning off the Collingwood coaching staff.
On Rumba Mercury Drive will be one of the smallest grounds in the Murray League so forget about that myth. But believe they will go alright most GV sides would be happy to have Guthrie and Hickmont holding down CHF and CHB, they've obviously got some talent there so if they can recruit a couple to gel around those two I'm sure they will be very competitive.

Spoke to Finley Coach and he is confident of some marked improvement out there, have got a few ex-players back and Sexton is going around again, still a gun.

As for Tonny, happy with the progress averagng 25 on the track since xmas, training 3 nights. Have a few committed but still in talks with 4 or 5 which obviously we cant hold too much hope there the longer the talks go there.

Didnt contact Bakers or Fonuas, there gone. Also lost Travvy, Geoff Connally and Matt Brannelly(Mooroopna) and Brendan White. (7 out)

Committed are Shannon Dixon, Brett Henderson(AC), Ash Nunn, Darrin Ohlsen.
Blokes training are Dylan Martin, Adam Courtney, Simon Harrison, Dave Hansford.
Then 4 or 5 that we are talking to but havent trained who are all key position. Would be happy if we got one of them.

Nathalia, Mulwala and Toc the teams to beat, Ech United biggest improvers.
So thats about a rap fellas

hank1 said:
Believe Hickmont is getting $60-$70,000 for the year. Is Full-time and does have to do a fair bit of work other than coach the footy side. But does get a lot of perks including spending two days a week at the Lexus centre learning off the Collingwood coaching staff.
On Rumba Mercury Drive will be one of the smallest grounds in the Murray League so forget about that myth. But believe they will go alright most GV sides would be happy to have Guthrie and Hickmont holding down CHF and CHB, they've obviously got some talent there so if they can recruit a couple to gel around those two I'm sure they will be very competitive.

Spoke to Finley Coach and he is confident of some marked improvement out there, have got a few ex-players back and Sexton is going around again, still a gun.

As for Tonny, happy with the progress averagng 25 on the track since xmas, training 3 nights. Have a few committed but still in talks with 4 or 5 which obviously we cant hold too much hope there the longer the talks go there.

Didnt contact Bakers or Fonuas, there gone. Also lost Travvy, Geoff Connally and Matt Brannelly(Mooroopna) and Brendan White. (7 out)

Committed are Shannon Dixon, Brett Henderson(AC), Ash Nunn, Darrin Ohlsen.
Blokes training are Dylan Martin, Adam Courtney, Simon Harrison, Dave Hansford.
Then 4 or 5 that we are talking to but havent trained who are all key position. Would be happy if we got one of them.

Nathalia, Mulwala and Toc the teams to beat, Ech United biggest improvers.
So thats about a rap fellas

Agreed with the teams to beat except EU hank i'm sorry. You tip them as the big improvers every year.

hank1 said:

Rumba have a lot of talent and only need some major league experience, which Im sure Hickmott wouldve recruited. Lets not forget the reported $500,000 leg up pledged to them by the Collingwood Football Club over the next 5 seasons . . . . a step up in standard might worry a few but they will be very competitve dont worry about that.

ringo1 said:
Has the culture changed at United? If it has they will be a big improver.

Yes, it has... Watch this Space:thumbsu:

purple hills said:
Agreed with the teams to beat except EU hank i'm sorry. You tip them as the big improvers every year.

Sorry mate, but first time I've ever taken any interest in the Murray League so I'd have to say this is the first time I've ever tipped them as the big improvers!!

Chris Eddy from Moama is headed to Cohuna due to marrying a girl from up there must hurt the Pies. Rate him as good as any. How are Moama going on the recruiting front?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back