My best guess at 60 names on recruiters lists.

Remove this Banner Ad

Looks like next year will be the year to be down then if Hansen and Gumbleton are already rated as top 5 for this year, and adding Selwood and Jetta and a few I havent mentioned. I guess the middle clubs picking after the top 5 are really just a lottery and some skilled selections might backfire. Thanks for the list Weaver im sure many appreciate it.

Trav 20 said:
The Dees need tough inside midfielders as well as outside pace. Could Nathan Jones fill the inside role ? He impressed me immensely but I only saw a half on tv.

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

One of our favourite annual debates is about the boys vs men arguement.

Basically a guy with a big-body gets super-confident. He knows he can break tackles, he knows he can bumb and block, he knows no one is going to run through him. He plays with confidence.

What happens when he goes up to senior company? All of a sudden he can't break tackles, take people on. Other players are breaking his tackles.

So basically you have to try and strip away the big-body bullocking stuff and ask is there enough still there. Pace, kicking skills etc.

Jones? I am unsure. Pace seems OK, kicking seems OK, seems footy smart. Still young.

Scham said:
Whats James Bennett's pace like Weaver?

Well he had the fastest 10 and 20 m sprints out of all the AIS academy graduates this year so he obviously has a fair amount of speed

Weaver said:
One of our favourite annual debates is about the boys vs men arguement.

Basically a guy with a big-body gets super-confident. He knows he can break tackles, he knows he can bumb and block, he knows no one is going to run through him. He plays with confidence.

What happens when he goes up to senior company? All of a sudden he can't break tackles, take people on. Other players are breaking his tackles.

So basically you have to try and strip away the big-body bullocking stuff and ask is there enough still there. Pace, kicking skills etc.

Jones? I am unsure. Pace seems OK, kicking seems OK, seems footy smart. Still young.

Weaver you are right with what you are saying about him being a man amoungst the boys. This is where the TAC can make it hard. If he was playing in the SANFL or WAFL he would be playing against the men each week and one would find that easier to judge.

Jones seems to spend a lot of time a kick behing the play and plays the role well and reads the ball coming in. Because of this I wonder if he has the endurance to play in the middle at afl level for extended periods.

If I was a club looking at picking him up I would be visualising him as a small rebounding defender.

missionpossible said:
Jones seems to spend a lot of time a kick behing the play and plays the role well and reads the ball coming in. Because of this I wonder if he has the endurance to play in the middle at afl level for extended periods.

If I was a club looking at picking him up I would be visualising him as a small rebounding defender.

On SEN this morning, Kevin Sheahan said that the Nathan Chapman lookalike had great endurance and had done a 15 beep test.

Trav 20 said:
On SEN this morning, Kevin Sheahan said that the Nathan Chapman lookalike had great endurance and had done a 15 beep test.

It is hard judge players from the sideline. If you went out to a saints game you would look at Robert Harvey after 10 minutes and think he is out of legs but he manages to keep running all day.

It would be great to have all the athletic information on these players although that can sometimes distract us from the main issue of can or can't they play the game.

Trav 20 said:

The beep test is often not thought of as a test of endurance, as a test of character. AFL football doesn't often call upon a player to run like they do in a beep test, 100x100s is a better judge of that, but they are often called upon to keep pushing when their body cries stop.

gotta love the negative comments towards Weaver's magnificent efforts.

alot of Monday morning quarterbacks here arguing about something that even the recruiters of each club haven't decided about yet.

if you got the top 50 picks from each of the 16 clubs it is guaranteed that there will some noteworthy discrepencies.

as Sheehan stated on SEN this morning of the 70 invited to the AFL Draft Camp last year, only 45 of 70 got selected.

and here you have clowns stating "they've lost respect for ppl like Weaver". Think before you talk mate, have you never said or done anything wrong in your perfect life??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

:mad:

Michael Moore said:

alot of Monday morning quarterbacks here arguing about something that even the recruiters of each club haven't decided about yet.

if you got the top 50 picks from each of the 16 clubs it is guaranteed that there will some noteworthy discrepencies.

as Sheehan stated on SEN this morning of the 70 invited to the AFL Draft Camp last year, only 45 of 70 got selected.

and here you have clowns stating "they've lost respect for ppl like Weaver". Think before you talk mate, have you never said or done anything wrong in your perfect life??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

in the end, what u idiots have to say doesn't really matter, u have no idea what u r talking about coz ure on all here all day, have no idea about how to play the game, and think ure a bunch of scouts. u's are all kidding yaself really. the best will make it to the afl, if they dont match the size or whatever, they r still gonna get them over some ******* who will never make it but has the size. think about it.

Michael Moore said:

I agree totally. At least Weaver has had a go. I have alot of respect for him and his top 60 is in his opinion. Also this is one of the toughest years to choose a top 10 let alone top 60...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

David_02 said:
in the end, what u idiots have to say doesn't really matter, u have no idea what u r talking about coz ure on all here all day, have no idea about how to play the game, and think ure a bunch of scouts. u's are all kidding yaself really. the best will make it to the afl, if they dont match the size or whatever, they r still gonna get them over some ******* who will never make it but has the size. think about it.

Adleas theyze can speak n'glish.

You must be too busy and too talented to post here.
Or maybe not.
Think about it.

I would put in both the twins from SA in top 50. Excellent work on Sunday.

just on the question of the aerobic capacity of Nathan Jones, he has also represented VIC @ triathlon level which has to be a fair sign of his aerobic abilities (i believe even coming top 5 at nationals until a penalty for drafting)

Remove this Banner Ad

My best guess at 60 names on recruiters lists.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back