Club Focus Tasmania 2028 - The List Build

AFL Club Focus

Remove this Banner Ad

Do the players have a choice?

Isnt that the issue?

All well to say every team gives up a player but what if that player who is under contract doesnt want to move to Tasmania and forgo success for years?

This is what they should have been sorting out for the past two years.

The should have been negotiating with the AFLPA to get their agreement by offering players who are selected in an expansion draft a cash bonus.

Last edited:

Rumours Tassie are interested.

Does he stay or go?

This...

MCKERCHER TIPPED TO TURN BACK ON TASSIE

Tasmania’s biggest recruiting target Colby McKercher is likely to be off the table by the time the Devils come into the competition as he dedicates himself to football with North Melbourne.

Launceston boy McKercher would have been the perfect figurehead for the Devils given his style of play and status as a local star.

But those close to McKercher are aware he is unlikely to want to head home for the early seasons of the Tasmanian team, which is set to come into the competition for 2028.

Like many of the Tasmanian players who set their sights on the AFL he was keen to find himself at an established AFL club amid uncertainty about the future of Tasmania’s new side.

And while you can never say never, players like McKercher are understood to be keen to play their early years at their existing clubs in the early seasons of the Devils.

Colby McKercher seemes to be going nowhere anytime soon. Picture: Getty Images
McKercher is a Launceston boy, not a Hobart local, and while the north-south divide is no impediment to recruiting Tasmanians he would not be returning to his hometown.

His manager Nick Gieschen said recently he was in no hurry to extend his contract talks.

But it would be a shock if he jumped ship even despite what are expected to be monster offers for Tasmanian players.

“Not really, to be honest. I’ve had brief chats with the clubs, there’s no rush,” Gieschen said.

“If you look at comparing it to an AFL player, say someone that’s got two and a half years to go on their contract it is early. Normally those talks start to happen 18 months out.

“I feel like the clubs are just comfortable with where all these guys are sitting. They’re all playing. I’m happy to start whenever the clubs want to start but for now I think everyone’s happy for them to keep playing footy.”

For the record, just in case people wants to run the narrative that after his current contract expires, he will get on the boat and go straight to tasmania...

His contract ends in 2026...Tasmania enters in...2028.

Woops, what's he gonna do? take a gap year? Extend contract by 1 year?

He might one day go back to tas when he's 32 like gibbs to adelaide...for two firsts.

Remove this Banner Ad

Club Focus Tasmania 2028 - The List Build

Remove this Banner Ad

Back