Myki/Richmond station vs Year of the fan

Remove this Banner Ad

Don't have any major gripes with Myki personally (as a full time regular commuter) and didn't have any major issue getting into Richmond station after the Carlton-Richmond R1 game (crowd of 83k I think?) Took 5 minutes to exit the ground, walk past Punt Road and then maybe another 5 minutes for the mob ahead of me to filter through the barriers which didn't faze me).

That being said, I normally walk to Flinders anyway - good to stretch the legs after sitting through a game :)

The bottleneck at the Brunton Ave end has always been like that. Even during the Metcard days. It's just too small these for the large amount of people who use it all at once.

Personally I'd like to see a tunnel under the road that pops out at Yarra Park

Don't have any major gripes with Myki personally (as a full time regular commuter) and didn't have any major issue getting into Richmond station after the Carlton-Richmond R1 game (crowd of 83k I think?) Took 5 minutes to exit the ground, walk past Punt Road and then maybe another 5 minutes for the mob ahead of me to filter through the barriers which didn't faze me).

That being said, I normally walk to Flinders anyway - good to stretch the legs after sitting through a game :)
How long does it take you to walk to flinders

How long does it take you to walk to flinders

Depending how fast you walk,and foot traffic, it's maybe a 15-20 minute walk from the G to Flinders.

I usually enter/exit the MCG from the Punt Road side so it takes about 5 mins to reach the City side of the ground then probably a good 10-15mins from the city end to Flinders - foot traffic is normally the biggest challenge, if it's a big crowd, there is plenty of weaving - if Richmond has lost (I always sit through to the end), I can't get to Flinders fast enough! :)

Anyone else at Melbourne vs Richmond last year? They parked a promotional truck across the entrance and nobody was let through until they could hand out frozen pizzas. It was a farce!

The only highlight was when people started sledging the bloke in charge and he started giving it back to them!

Anyone else at Melbourne vs Richmond last year? They parked a promotional truck across the entrance and nobody was let through until they could hand out frozen pizzas. It was a farce!

The only highlight was when people started sledging the bloke in charge and he started giving it back to them!

First I've heard of this - I walked to Flinders that day, needed fresh air to clear my head after that game. :D

Were the frozen pizzas at least worth it mate?

If not, the fact it held up hundreds of fans from going home probably wouldn't have given many a positive lasting impression of the brand!

When they eventually cover the train lines between Flinders and Richmond they should build "sporting/special events" train platforms between the G and Melbourne Park, specifically designed to allow a lot of people onto platforms and onto trains as quick as possible, i.e. multiple access points for each platform.

If you don't have a sufficient balance to begin with you should be denied access until topping up a suitable amount, Not get let in and fined for going negative.

What constitutes a sufficient balance?
On top of that, how does myki know where you are going?
You could say a sufficient balance is $2, so it won't let you touch on unless you have more than that amount, which is essentially the exact same as going into negative, so where's the difference?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Have had no problems & went to Hawks/Cats & Dogs/Tiges on the train from Southern Cross to Jolimont.
Going to the footy in Melbourne is wayyyyyyyyyyyy easier then doing it in Perth

They have the gates shut on purpose to keep the flow of people out. They simply don't run enough trains, and if everyone was let in quickly you'd have too many people on the platform instead of too many at the gates. Too many people on the platform is far riskier.
Been going to the footy for years and the platforms have never been overcrowded. Crowded yes, but not overly. Never seen any near misses or accidents.

Yes the main problems are the station design and trains, but I don't buy the public safety stuff because when the gates were open they never had anyone stopping people going up the platforms for fear of safety.

Either way you shouldn't replace one public safety problem (of overcrowded platforms) with another in the crush risk of so many grumpy people stuck in slow moving lines. Plus they are suggesting people use the other entrances to the station, contradicting themselves.

Been going to the footy for years and the platforms have never been overcrowded. Crowded yes, but not overly. Never seen any near misses or accidents.

Yes the main problems are the station design and trains, but I don't buy the public safety stuff because when the gates were open they never had anyone stopping people going up the platforms for fear of safety.

Either way you shouldn't replace one public safety problem (of overcrowded platforms) with another in the crush risk of so many grumpy people stuck in slow moving lines. Plus they are suggesting people use the other entrances to the station, contradicting themselves.
It is the modern day approach is the think safety first. The problem with Sunday was too few trains running. It is as simple as that. Why that was the case is anyone's guess. However to say that an overcrowded platform is not a safety risk because nothing has happened before is a childish answer. It is too late when something does happen. At the very least Metro are doing their best to make sure you get home ALIVE (admittedly a bit late though).

As for using other entrances. They are almost always either empty or only a small cue. After Sundays game I entered at the main entrance with no cue at all.

The bottleneck at the Brunton Ave end has always been like that. Even during the Metcard days. It's just too small these for the large amount of people who use it all at once.

Personally I'd like to see a tunnel under the road that pops out at Yarra Park
The mcg has had crowds up to 100k for quite a while ?

Maybe everyones fatter

Ps i drive now after hearing this, should be a discount for packed travelling

A couple of ways to avoid these issues - not that I'm standing up for Myki at all, though the new readers are a lot better. But generally if you wait say 15 minutes till after the crush dies down a bit, its a lot easier!
*Hang back/wait 15 mins after the game finishes to avoid the crush. They usually show the winning team singing the song on the scoreboard at the G
*Bring the footy along & have a kick to kick, either on the ground if its a Sunday, or in the parklands outside the ground after the game
* Pop into one of the local pubs for a beer
*Head up Swan St & have a bite to eat

Or alternately, use the rear entrance to Richmond on Stewart Street, or cross over on one of the bridges, and use the entrance from Olympic Blvd, the ques will be a lot shorter!

I know this may not be an option for seniors/disabled/families with young kids who need to get home ASAP after the game, but just throwing some alternatives out there!

Remove this Banner Ad

Myki/Richmond station vs Year of the fan

Remove this Banner Ad

Back