Myth: Melbourne play well against us

Remove this Banner Ad

Many posters have been saying that Melbourne tend to play well against us and it seems to be the basis for considering this week's game as a danger game for Carlton.

I suspect this may be some residual trepidation still lingering from the sting of losing to Melbourne at the Princes Park farewell game in 2005.

Let's not forget 2005 was a wooden spoon year for Carlton with Essendon, Richmond, Hawthorn and Collingwood our only wins for the year, even though we played each of these teams twice and won only once (AND both Essendon and Richmond smashed us by close to 100 points in our other meetings that year).

2005 was a top four year for Melbourne.

The next time we played them was Kouta's 250th, round 1 2006. We were the wooden spooners and we managed to pull off an unexpected win against a top four side, and it gave us bragging rights for many weeks.

We played them again in round 18 of that year. They were 3rd on the ladder and we were 16th. Again we won.

That takes us to 2007, we played Melbourne twice, and while they did beat us on both occasions, there were mitigating circumstances:

Round 14, 2007 - This game came during Carlton's lowest point in 2007. Lance had recently been 'dropped until further notice/weight loss' resulting in Waite being appointed the acting captain for Freo at Subi. As we are all too aware this was the 'Fev bad body language' game that resulted in him being told by the club to go away for a week and have a think about whether or not he wants to play footy for Carlton. We also got hammered by almost 80 points in that game resulting in Carlton booking itself the next spot on the coaching merry go round of 2007. We came into that Melbourne game in tatters in terms of both personnel and psyche and still made a contest of it, going down by less than 4 goals.

Round 22, 2007 - This is the game that neither team wanted to win, Melbourne may have won on the scoreboard, but we 'won' Judd and Kreuzer.

Looking at the whole scenario dating back to the final game at Princes Park in 2005, I think I can safely say that the myth that Melbourne always play well against us is well and truly busted! If anything, recent history would show that the opposite is the case.

Go Blues by 10 goals+ :thumbsu:

I agree, we always play shit against you guys. The only reason we have one most of the games in the last few years against you is because you guys have been no good and we have been making finals. The last game at Princes Park in 05 is a perfect example. We won by 3 goals in a year where most other teams were beating you by 10. You guys should belt the shit out of us on sunday.

Dont forget

the game against Melbourne last year.. first time we played them . ricky pettard , sustained a collapsed lung ? , was at the start of the game to .. wich in turn fired the Dees up. Well IMO

Melbourne's list has changes dramatically lately. There good players ar not so damaging anymore, but will deliver in spurts. Neitz should have retired, Robbo is the key forward.
Green is still crying about being looked over for a leadership position, Bruce is taking the number one tagger and White has just never been an elite player.

They have resonable youngsters in McLean and Davey but thats about it.

We should come up trumps by 7-10 goals but hey so were Geelong and look were that left them.

Having said all this they have beaten us in the past when we were expect to win

Melbourne's list has changes dramatically lately. There good players ar not so damaging anymore, but will deliver in spurts. Neitz should have retired, Robbo is the key forward.
Green is still crying about being looked over for a leadership position, Bruce is taking the number one tagger and White has just never been an elite player.

They have resonable youngsters in McLean and Davey but thats about it.

We should come up trumps by 7-10 goals but hey so were Geelong and look were that left them.

Having said all this they have beaten us in the past when we were expect to win

I'm not gunna lie dude I stole your sig 'JUDD DA DA DA DARR' for my msn and facebook all week.

;):thumbsu:

I remember that the first win I saw us play since I can remember was late in 2006 against the Dees, I hope to see that replicated this Sunday:thumbsu:. Myth, fact, means nothing to me. This weekend matters, what's happening matters.

Many posters have been saying that Melbourne tend to play well against us and it seems to be the basis for considering this week's game as a danger game for Carlton.

I suspect this may be some residual trepidation still lingering from the sting of losing to Melbourne at the Princes Park farewell game in 2005.

Let's not forget 2005 was a wooden spoon year for Carlton with Essendon, Richmond, Hawthorn and Collingwood our only wins for the year, even though we played each of these teams twice and won only once (AND both Essendon and Richmond smashed us by close to 100 points in our other meetings that year).

2005 was a top four year for Melbourne.

The next time we played them was Kouta's 250th, round 1 2006. We were the wooden spooners and we managed to pull off an unexpected win against a top four side, and it gave us bragging rights for many weeks.

We played them again in round 18 of that year. They were 3rd on the ladder and we were 16th. Again we won.

That takes us to 2007, we played Melbourne twice, and while they did beat us on both occasions, there were mitigating circumstances:

Round 14, 2007 - This game came during Carlton's lowest point in 2007. Lance had recently been 'dropped until further notice/weight loss' resulting in Waite being appointed the acting captain for Freo at Subi. As we are all too aware this was the 'Fev bad body language' game that resulted in him being told by the club to go away for a week and have a think about whether or not he wants to play footy for Carlton. We also got hammered by almost 80 points in that game resulting in Carlton booking itself the next spot on the coaching merry go round of 2007. We came into that Melbourne game in tatters in terms of both personnel and psyche and still made a contest of it, going down by less than 4 goals.

Round 22, 2007 - This is the game that neither team wanted to win, Melbourne may have won on the scoreboard, but we 'won' Judd and Kreuzer.

Looking at the whole scenario dating back to the final game at Princes Park in 2005, I think I can safely say that the myth that Melbourne always play well against us is well and truly busted! If anything, recent history would show that the opposite is the case.

Go Blues by 10 goals+ :thumbsu:

Disagree, history over the past 7 years has the record Carlton 3 wins Melboure 7 wins...that to me shows Melb has the wood over us...and if they are winning they must play better than us on the day.

Case closed.

But the Carlton of 2008 is a vast difference of the past 7 years as is the Melb team..so Carlton by 10 goals.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Its early in the year to be saying this, but this is a real crunch game for us. 2 in a row and who knows what a bit more confidence can do to some of these guys.

Remove this Banner Ad

Myth: Melbourne play well against us

Remove this Banner Ad

Back