Myths that annoy you?

Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 7, 2003
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Swansea, Wizards
The Biggest myth that annoys me at the moment is that Riewoldt is not an accurate kick for goal.

55 goals from 88 shots this year. 62.5% strike rate.and kicked at almost 70% last year.

Jonathon Brown is at 65% this year.

Fevola at 59%

Tredrea 65%

Franklin 62%

Tippet 62%

Roughead 64%

Riewoldt does probably nearly double the amount of running as these guys do and at a similar conversion rate to all of them. Also was a stat going around a few weeks ago that he is the most accurate kick from a set shot from outside 50.

He has an off week every now and then, but doesn't every player?

Nearly every second week you read 'could be the best in the comp if he could kick straight' seriously gives me the shits.

What are some of the myths going around in football that you can prove wrong?

The "magpie army" stick. They nick off as quick as any group of supporters.
they crack the shits pretty quick, but keep attending even if it is just to bitch

It took a while for people to realise that Liam Jurrah can speak English and quite well. The kid's just shy in front of a microphone/camera like anyone is in their first few interviews.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That Essendon are a young team. They were the 6th oldest team on the weekend.

I'd like to see a distribution of the ages though because I think they'd slip a long way down the age ladder if you removed Lloyd, Lucas and Fletcher. More than other teams if you took out their 3 oldest.

The Biggest myth that annoys me at the moment is that Riewoldt is not an accurate kick for goal.

55 goals from 88 shots this year. 62.5% strike rate.and kicked at almost 70% last year.

Jonathon Brown is at 65% this year.

Fevola at 59%

Tredrea 65%

Franklin 62%

Tippet 62%

Roughead 64%

Riewoldt does probably nearly double the amount of running as these guys do and at a similar conversion rate to all of them. Also was a stat going around a few weeks ago that he is the most accurate kick from a set shot from outside 50.

He has an off week every now and then, but doesn't every player?

Nearly every second week you read 'could be the best in the comp if he could kick straight' seriously gives me the shits.

What are some of the myths going around in football that you can prove wrong?

This is where statistics don't tell the full story - when will people learn?

Riewoldt simply misses a lot of shots that he should be able to kick (eg 45 m out, slight angle) far too often.

He is an absolute star of the AFL and I would love to have him at Port, but he is not perfect.

Joel Selwood is only good because he is the 4th or 5th midfielder at Geelong.

He has easily been the number 2 midfielder and you could argue him as the number 1, with Ablett missing games and going forward in others. Bartel and Corey have played a fair bit along the HB line.

That the umpires screwed Geelong in the 1997 semi final v Adelaide. It is the biggest myth in the history of football.

This is where statistics don't tell the full story - when will people learn?

Riewoldt simply misses a lot of shots that he should be able to kick (eg 45 m out, slight angle) far too often.

I think that's a statistic that Champion Data should look at (if they don't already). Anyone can bump up their accuracy by getting on the end of a few passes in the goal square. What would be more interesting would be accuracy on set shots from inside 40m, 40-50m and 50+, as well as set shots from various angles. I don't think it's an accurate portrayal to say Player X has kicked 65 goals 35 points, so he has a 65% accuracy, failing to recognise that he hasn't made the distance 20 times and has put it out on the full 25 times.

"Shinboner spirit"

This pops up when North have a good win.

WHen they lose where is it? :rolleyes:

If we come over to Perth and have a good win, I promise no-one will mention Shinboner Spirit. The football world will be too busy talking about the Eagles Tankfest (which would be the only reason we beat you, let's be honest.)

I'd like to see a distribution of the ages though because I think they'd slip a long way down the age ladder if you removed Lloyd, Lucas and Fletcher. More than other teams if you took out their 3 oldest.

try taking our 3 oldest players all well above 30 and would bring the average down dramatically

Remove this Banner Ad

Myths that annoy you?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back