Myths that annoy you?

Remove this Banner Ad

Oh this old pickle, but i actually understand the situation, unlike alot of others, but for the record then i would like a Power fan to annouce that if you have that history, then the Port Adelaide Magpies began in 1997 and have no history before that

Thats how I see it....

Thats how I see it....

Sweet, thats all i needed to hear, not to sure how happy Magpies(SANFL) fans will be about that. For the record that is how the club sees it also, my Ex-GF worked for the Power, and i attend a B&F dinner where over multiple beverages, a board member and i got it this same debate......funny guy.......could hold his booze too

I think that's a statistic that Champion Data should look at (if they don't already). Anyone can bump up their accuracy by getting on the end of a few passes in the goal square. What would be more interesting would be accuracy on set shots from inside 40m, 40-50m and 50+, as well as set shots from various angles. I don't think it's an accurate portrayal to say Player X has kicked 65 goals 35 points, so he has a 65% accuracy, failing to recognise that he hasn't made the distance 20 times and has put it out on the full 25 times.

They do record that stuff. There was a newspaper article on Riewoldt a couple of years back containing stats which showed he was far less accurate from one side of the ground (the left side facing the goals I think).

1. That being down the bottom, losing lots of games (whether or not you try to lose them) over a number of years, and accumulating lots of high draft picks as a result, is the best way for strugglers or also-rans to win a flag. As opposed to tedious old-fashioned things like developing a total team game and requiring that all players rigorously adhere to it, with appropriate attention to fitness, skills, attitude, and on-field & off-field leadership.

Surely 2009 has put this myth to bed for all time. The difference between St Kilda 2006/7 and St Kilda 2009 isn't that another 3 top 5 draft picks have come into their side and pushed them to the next level (well, Michael Gardiner technically...).

The difference between Hawthorn 2006 and Hawthorn 2008 was also not merely that Hodge, Buddy and Roughead were 2 years older and more experienced (and that Xavier Ellis had joined the gang).

Not to mention that Geelong carried fundamentally the same squad into 2007 as played in 2006.

2. Slightly related to point 1: the idea of the premiership 'window'. As a throwaway line or passing observation as to whether a team's perceived to be on the rise or the decline, fair enough. But it's annoying that some people treat the idea like gospel despite the complete lack of evidence for it. You make your own opportunities, peoples-- whether anyone else thinks you're 'ready' for them or not.

No-one believed going into 2005 that the Swans were a serious chance of being flag-winners; it would have been a bold (bordering on insane) punter at the start of 2007 who thought that Geelong could win the GF by a casual 20 goals; and just have a look at the ladder predictions thread for 2009 as to how non-existent the Saints' flag chances looked this year in the eyes of pretty much everyone.

If the 'window' theory had any predictive power, then Carlton and Richmond would now be duking it out for a spot in the top 4 while we'd be asking whether Hawthorn could go through a season undefeated, and whether St Kilda might win a few on the run home to slip into 8th spot.

Franklin has had the fumbles at times this year, so he is often mopping up his own mess.

Is it just Franklin you hate or Hawthorn in general? How can he fumble when he 'gets all his goals in the goalsquare'?
Maybe you talking hiim down leads you to believe that Sydney can buy another forward? God knows you need a decent player in ur side :D:eek:
I'm sure the AFL will come to the rescue again though :thumbsu:

Is it just Franklin you hate or Hawthorn in general? How can he fumble when he 'gets all his goals in the goalsquare'?
Maybe you talking hiim down leads you to believe that Sydney can buy another forward? God knows you need a decent player in ur side :D:eek:
I'm sure the AFL will come to the rescue again though :thumbsu:
Neither. I enjoy watching Franklin and Hawthorn. I just don't like people pumping up his tyres when he has been average this season. He has been fantastic the last few weeks and against Freo and Sydney (second time) but he has lacked something from last year. He wasn't one grabbing his marks like he was last year. No one is that crap to fumble a handball over the top.
Your last two sentences make you look like a dick. :thumbsu:

as for Tredders, your right but he made his own bed and now he has to sleep in it. That Telephone thing and the bowing really destroyed his reputation to supporters I reckon.

No, he was hated well before the phone call or the bow, and there are just as showy goal celebrations week in week out in the AFL. People were looking for an excuse to hate the man because he was a champion playing for a club they didn't like, found one, and latched onto it.

The myth that Port Adelaide started in 1870.

FFS people - Port Adelaide came into the AFL in 1997 - end myth!

Those two things aren't mutually exclusive genius. Both are correct.

Well seeing as he got 20 Brownlow votes in 07 and is dominating at the elite level for a 3rd year I guess he qualifies under your criteria
I didn't rate him in 07. That was a massive surprise for most that he polled that well. Wasn't he at a party dressed as spider man or something when while the count was on? I might be completely wrong with that.
He became more direct last year and this year he sits in the top bracket of midfielders. As I said, a very good A grader but not elite. Elite is Cousins, Judd, Black, Goodes, Ablett etc. I don't think he deserves to sit with them just yet.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That Chris Judd is a dangerous forward. Whenever Juddy rests inside the frowardline, the commentators go into melt down and state how dangerous he is as a forward. When has he ever kicked a bag of goals playing predominantly as a forward?? He's dangerous as a player full stop but most of his goals have come from playing midfield.

[YOUTUBE]ucNVd5aNgKQ[/YOUTUBE]

I'm pretty sure he was in the forward line in that game a fair bit.

*Sorry about the video being broken up the knob who did it broke it up for more video views*

I didn't rate him in 07. That was a massive surprise for most that he polled that well. Wasn't he at a party dressed as spider man or something when while the count was on? I might be completely wrong with that.
He became more direct last year and this year he sits in the top bracket of midfielders. As I said, a very good A grader but not elite. Elite is Cousins, Judd, Black, Goodes, Ablett etc. I don't think he deserves to sit with them just yet.

You're spot on, he was out at a party dressed as Spiderman and if he won the Brownlow, he was going to turn up to receive the award in his costume.

For once the umpires were spot on, had an amazing year but was unknown before that.. his last 3 years have been elite.. superhero costumes aside

No they weren't.

He deserved about 4 of those votes. Must have been paying the umpires under the table for the other votes he got.

That Freo could have drafted Mathew Lloyd and that we "traded" Andrew McCleod away.
And that West Coast don't care about winning the Derby. Last I checked it was 4 points and every team wants 4 points every week.

That possession stats are the most important thing. In particular, Ablett. Talented guy, sure. No doubt about it. But 40 possessions doesn't mean a lot when he's a guy that so often handpasses off unnecessarily in order to receive the 1-2 and balloon his stats.

That inbreeding isn't South Australia's favourite family pastime

1. Thats Tasmania

2. South Australia's favourite past time is escaping for tasmania

3. Collingwood's poster boy Didak, was, you right born in South Australia, as was Nathan Buckley, another Collingwood golden boy.

3. Im from WA, lived in Adelaide, but am now back in Perth

Really hit your mark there, typical Collingwood genius

Remove this Banner Ad

Myths that annoy you?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back