Autopsy NAB 3: Richmond vs North Melbourne @ Etihad Stadium - Saturday 1:10pm, 21 March

Who were your top 5 players?

• 2. Dylan Grimes

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • 3. Brett Deledio

Votes: 55 44.7%
  • 4. Dustin Martin

Votes: 88 71.5%
  • 5. Brandon Ellis

Votes: 15 12.2%
  • 6. Shaun Grigg

Votes: 60 48.8%
  • 8. Jack Riewoldt

Votes: 85 69.1%
  • 9. Trent Cotchin

Votes: 37 30.1%
  • 10. Shane Edwards

Votes: 38 30.9%
  • 11. Jake Batchelor (sub)

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • 12. David Astbury

Votes: 10 8.1%
  • 14. Bachar Houli

Votes: 33 26.8%
  • 18. Alex Rance

Votes: 51 41.5%
  • 20. Ivan Maric

Votes: 10 8.1%
  • 24. Ben Griffiths

Votes: 24 19.5%
  • 25. Troy Chaplin

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • 27. Sam Lloyd (sub)

Votes: 3 2.4%
  • 28. Taylor Hunt

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • 29. Ty Vickery

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • 30. Reece Conca

• 31. Nick Vlastuin

• 33. Kamdyn McIntosh

Votes: 28 22.8%
  • 35. Ben Lennon

• 38. Steve Morris

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • 48. Kane Lambert

Votes: 1 0.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Sorry for the slow reply - actually managed to see 3 quarters of the game.

Glad to see most others share similar feelings to my own about the standard of umpiring and the 'Morris as a forward' experiment. The commentary (Fox Footy) team were largely toasting the umpiring (they had Wayne Campbell sitting in the box) but I can remember scratching my head at a few of the decisions that went against us/weren't awarded.

I love Morris but I can't see his move up forward being a big success to be honest. I think he is a great small lock down defender and I wouldn't even mind him playing the defensive forward role every now and again when we are playing a team with a good rebounder who sets up their play; but he shouldn't be playing 20 odd games there this season IMO - to do so would be detrimental to the team, and to Morris' game IMO.

This gif sums up both gripes in my eyes.
incredulous.gif

On the game itself (and moreso how I think we should go into round 1), here's a few thoughts on the players that come to mind.
  • Grigg had a great game - one of the best I can recall seeing from him. If he can apply that mentality and urgency to his game, he'll quickly go from being a favoured, out of sorts ruckman and maligned player to a respected and important member of our best 22.
  • Lambert - seemed to have a quiet game but still bobbed up with a goal late on I think. He's got his dream now (being elevated to a senior list) and now has a chance to show all those who doubted him what he can do. Hopefully he can take it with both hands. Not sure he's a lock for round 1, but I wouldn't mind debuting him early (against one of the 'lesser' teams we face in the first 5 rounds).
  • Griffiths - very impressed with his physicality, seems like his confidence in his body is only getting stronger and stronger and as a result, he's asserting himself more. Agree with others that he's one 'big' game from having a real breakout in his career.
  • Riewoldt - Amazing simply. Great team play and did his job as a forward snagging a few goals - he found the right balance of being team oriented/not too selfish/too selfless on the weekend.
  • Martin - one of the Fox Footy people I think tipped him for the Brownlow. Hard to disagree with his form and output. If he takes this into the season proper, he will almost drag us into the 8 by himself.
  • Cotchin and Lids - primed for big years IMO. With Ellis, Miles, Martin, Grigg and a few others helping carry the load, I'd expect both to be able to play their natural game and flourish.
  • Lloyd continues to impress for me. Doesn't need much time to make an impact and very clinical around goal. Not sure he can sustain that for a full game (if not, would be a great sub). Would have him in my Round 1 side at this stage.
  • McIntosh - great game from the young man, could be a real player for us if he can continue to improve. Think he is a player who needs confidence to shine so being named in the bests will be great for his self belief. Not sure I'd risk him for round 1 which is a pressure game in front of a big crowd. Maybe another who could debut early in the season.
  • Astbury is looking like he hasn't missed much of a beat after his injury which is good as he generally muzzled Petrie who has been the bane of our side many times in recent years. Would have in my round 1 side so Rance can play a more attacking/rebounding role.
  • Vickery - I'm a fan though he wasn't great on the weekend. Needs a bit of confidence so maybe starting the season in the VFL could be in his best interest (though I would consider him for round 1 if the conditions are dry...).
  • Hunt - Been a fan of his acquisition and has generally done well though looked like he made a few mistakes on the weekend. On form, 2 of his 3 games were still 'good' so I'd have him in the round 1 side (also a handy option if we need to nullify a Murphy/Gibbs/Judd during the game).

Good comments.
How was our defensive running? And when we had the ball going forward, were our forwards leading in to space?

Defensive running was excellent (by both teams) although it is fair to say that pressure from each side's forwards was at the lower end.

Our taller forwards on the whole didn't seem to lead with quite the purpose I'd like to see but there were a few examples when a midfielder would direct them into space with the direction of his kick. We aren't anywhere near the best with regards to this though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy NAB 3: Richmond vs North Melbourne @ Etihad Stadium - Saturday 1:10pm, 21 March

Back