Autopsy NAB 3: Richmond vs North Melbourne @ Etihad Stadium - Saturday 1:10pm, 21 March

Who were your top 5 players?

• 2. Dylan Grimes

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • 3. Brett Deledio

Votes: 55 44.7%
  • 4. Dustin Martin

Votes: 88 71.5%
  • 5. Brandon Ellis

Votes: 15 12.2%
  • 6. Shaun Grigg

Votes: 60 48.8%
  • 8. Jack Riewoldt

Votes: 85 69.1%
  • 9. Trent Cotchin

Votes: 37 30.1%
  • 10. Shane Edwards

Votes: 38 30.9%
  • 11. Jake Batchelor (sub)

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • 12. David Astbury

Votes: 10 8.1%
  • 14. Bachar Houli

Votes: 33 26.8%
  • 18. Alex Rance

Votes: 51 41.5%
  • 20. Ivan Maric

Votes: 10 8.1%
  • 24. Ben Griffiths

Votes: 24 19.5%
  • 25. Troy Chaplin

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • 27. Sam Lloyd (sub)

Votes: 3 2.4%
  • 28. Taylor Hunt

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • 29. Ty Vickery

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • 30. Reece Conca

• 31. Nick Vlastuin

• 33. Kamdyn McIntosh

Votes: 28 22.8%
  • 35. Ben Lennon

• 38. Steve Morris

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • 48. Kane Lambert

Votes: 1 0.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Morris's work off the footy will see him start fwd. I thought he played that role great. Had he converted his 2 set shots we'd be all singing his praises. His pressure and crash and bash caused some turn overs. Underated performance by those who base games on kicks and goals..

Morris's work off the footy will see him start fwd. I thought he played that role great. Had he converted his 2 set shots we'd be all singing his praises. His pressure and crash and bash caused some turn overs. Underated performance by those who base games on kicks and goals..

I think they have realised that Morris can be a bit of a liability in the backline and are trying something new. This does not worry me. We did the same thing with King. I'm expecting that Morris will either play as a half forward or miss out and not be named. This is a good problem to have.

if griff gets 6 or 7 seven shots on goal and kicks 1.5 or 1.6 or even 0.7 i don't care he's feeling the leather and one day it'll click ,click,click.
Was dropping marks today which is usually a strength. Got to a lot more contests which is usually a weakness. It should click soon I think.

Chappy will be gone soon IMO. If Grimes and Astbury are fit they must be played ahead of him. I'd also like Batch out there too.
Yup - I like Batch back there and with Rance, Grimes and Astbury I would be happy.

It's a pity Petterd just lacks the toe to play the Morris role.
He ticks every other box but unfortunately you can't play that role unless you're fast.

It's a pity Petterd just lacks the toe to play the Morris role.
He ticks every other box but unfortunately you can't play that role unless you're fast.
Like Morris, I doubt Petterd would be able to hit the scoreboard consistently.

King's skill level often got overshadowed by his frenetic defensive pressure, but he was actually adequately skilled which allowed him to hit the scoreboard 2 or 3 times a game. Could kick smartly on both sides of his body, could bomb it 55m+ and had excellent crumbing sense. Neither Morris or Petterd have this package which is why I think we should persist with Lloyd. Lloyd has everything apart from the defensive pressure, which is unfortunately below average at AFL level.

I get the feeling King will be hard to replace for a while.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I haven't watched the game yet as my afl live app will not let me watch replays untill x amount of hours has passed which pisses me off but I can read a quarter by quarter score line, yes it's a practice match but it's was our last practice run before season real starts and we where basically at full strength, to give up a 40 point lead is bullshit, just not good enough. I hope the lads have one last sit down and adress this.

That is the thing with Morris playing forward though, he didn't convert his chances to hit the scoreboard. That is his main role as a small forward to kick goals and so far in all of the NAB Challenge games he has failed to show that he is a more attacking option than someone like Lloyd. Hardwick needs to realise this or we will be giving ourselves a handicap at the start of the season, which is not what we need after last season.

Who knows what you mean but replace pure with someone WIth a fracken clue and I'll take them, arise Sir Forward coachabit
The point was there isn't a pure fwds coach as they are mostly just assistants just rotated thru that position. Which means that its more than that(no obvious fwds coach to poach), ie we have enough IP to 'direct' the fwds coach. Maybe that line just isn't good enough, told plenty of times to divide and conquer etc. I get what your saying, yes we do know we have to get better, just think its not as simple as get a fwds coach.

Like Morris, I doubt Petterd would be able to hit the scoreboard consistently.

King's skill level often got overshadowed by his frenetic defensive pressure, but he was actually adequately skilled which allowed him to hit the scoreboard 2 or 3 times a game. Could kick smartly on both sides of his body, could bomb it 55m+ and had excellent crumbing sense. Neither Morris or Petterd have this package which is why I think we should persist with Lloyd. Lloyd has everything apart from the defensive pressure, which is unfortunately below average at AFL level.

I get the feeling King will be hard to replace for a while.
I can see both playing to compliment themselves.

Lids Griff Knights(if fit)
Lloyd Jack Morris.

Have not read the entire thread, but my thoughts on the game as I happened to ditch the wife who was shopping to head on over with 2 of my boys :p

Pros

• What stood out to me, was our ball use. For the time of year, we were very clean with our disposal by foot and hand.
  • I watched the game also on the IQ when i got home and the TV did not show it but Kamdyn did really well today. He was on Dal Santo for large chunks and I would say beat him. Ran all day and did a lot off the ball stuff which was really good to see.
  • Dusty got into the game after he adjusted to cunningtons tactics. The amount of holding of dustys arms to try to stop him impacting a contest off the ball was pretty damning on the umpires. They let it go, time and time again. You could see Dusty say **** it, and just charge in. Did well and blew him away.
  • Griffiths worked his arse off. If he had of clunked those marks, he easily might have been BOG
  • Jack is a freak, was everywhere, mid, back and also forward.
  • Those that knock Cotchins disposal, need to see him live and keep watching him all game. Our Captain is elite, on the forward flank he did this fantastic side step surrounded by huge pressure, not once but three times to try to make space and release the handball, when nobody was free, he did this beauty of a kick that hit Jack lace out for a goal. Was magic stuff.
  • Lennon has a good work rate, when he did not have the ball he kept moving and tried to be an option for our backs to kick too.
  • Astbury is a gun, closed Pietry right out of the game when he went on him after Pietry kicked his first.
  • Starting to like this game plan. We are lightning out of the back half and the boys tend to form a semi circle around a contest, which we allows our player who is pressed to handball his way to someone who is free. It was actually really good to see it. It worked more often then not and ****, finally we are using the whole ground to move the ball. It was great to see us using the fat side more often then last year, trying to use the corridor at all times.
  • Also and another finally, we dont just kick to the right pocket in a kick in. We actually tried to mix it up.
Cons

• Huge one for me was the umpires, or the lack of any action from them. I am not blaming them for the loss but the Norf players must be instructed to try to ****** there opponents while off the ball, and they were never pinged. There was an incident when Jack was about to move to the top of the forward 50 to be that release player and I shit you not, his opponent was pulling his arms back so bad it was like a tug of war. Good on Norf for getting away with it but IMO when the real stuff starts they are going to give a lot of free kicks away.
  • Our forward 50 mix is a real concern. So many times our mids kicked it high to a short bloke and low to a tall bloke. Also our forwards lead to high up the ground which creates all this space but nobody pushes hard enough back to make use of it. Dimma needs to go back to a more traditional set up IMO.
  • I dont know if Chaplins injured but his work rate is pathetic. So many times he would just walk while his opponent is 20 meters in the clear. Only when he realised they had the ball would he run to try to catch up.
  • Not convinced about Morris in our F50. He did some nice things but IMO those nice things don't out way his benefit to us manning a Thomas for example. He also calls for the ball, when by all rights he shouldn't. Guess he will improve that with experience but its a worry as they go to him, even when he is right under pressure.
  • Tyrone is ****ing lazy.

Went to the game today. Rode my pushy. What a cracking day! Was riding along and stopped at the lights about a block from the ground and looked across at another cyclist riding to the game (in Richmond trackies) and it was Big Bloody Reecy MacKenzie! What a good lad for not wanting to contribute to traffic congestion. He need not have worried. We were playing North after all. Maybe he's a hippy like me..

Left the game a bit confused. Stats said we had our fair share of the footy and the margin wasn't huge. Felt we were outplayed for good portions of the game and got a few lucky goals. That was balanced out by some putrid umpiring in the last quarter. Up to that point I felt the umpiring was ok.

Positives:
Lids, Cotch, Dusty and Jack - great games all of them especially the skipper given no previous games
Morro - was really surprised by his game today. Got himself into good spots, defended hard and should have had a couple more goals
Astbury - was excellent defensively today. A great return for his first game back.
McIntosh - might not make R1 but he will play games this year

Negatives:
Vickery: Virtually invisible. Had a 2-3 minute patch in the 2nd quarter where he took a couple of marks and had a nice lead and mark in the 4th so potentially could have had 3 shots at goal and kicked them all. But he didn't. Needs to create more opportunities for himself. Needs to crash packs more. Needs to clunk marks more. Not sure how he plays R1.
Conca: Sloppy. Looked almost dis-interested at times. Made some poor decisions with the footy in hand. I really want more from this bloke. He needs to harness his ranga powers better.
Lloyd as Sub: Small forwards aren't the right choice as a sub in my opinion. It's hard enough for a small forward to work their way into a game and make an impact. Much harder to do coming on at 3/4 time. If this is the coaching staff tactic for the season proper, it's the wrong tactic IMO. Was disappointed he didn't play from the start especially in Knights absence.

Always worried about R1 against the scum. This didn't make me any more or less confident about that game. Will be heading to Etihad later today for their game against the Cats. Maybe that will help......

That is the thing with Morris playing forward though, he didn't convert his chances to hit the scoreboard. That is his main role as a small forward to kick goals and so far in all of the NAB Challenge games he has failed to show that he is a more attacking option than someone like Lloyd. Hardwick needs to realise this or we will be giving ourselves a handicap at the start of the season, which is not what we need after last season.
His main role isn't to kick goals, its to provide a hard nut to harass their backman and provide some fwd pressure. Of course adding goals is all the better, so for me if he gets 1 a game, plus doing the other he has done his job. Lloyd isn't competing with Morris, he is competing v Vickery.

Went to the game today. Rode my pushy. What a cracking day! Was riding along and stopped at the lights about a block from the ground and looked across at another cyclist riding to the game (in Richmond trackies) and it was Big Bloody Reecy MacKenzie! What a good lad for not wanting to contribute to traffic congestion. He need not have worried. We were playing North after all. Maybe he's a hippy like me..

Left the game a bit confused. Stats said we had our fair share of the footy and the margin wasn't huge. Felt we were outplayed for good portions of the game and got a few lucky goals. That was balanced out by some putrid umpiring in the last quarter. Up to that point I felt the umpiring was ok.

Positives:
Lids, Cotch, Dusty and Jack - great games all of them especially the skipper given no previous games
Morro - was really surprised by his game today. Got himself into good spots, defended hard and should have had a couple more goals
Astbury - was excellent defensively today. A great return for his first game back.
McIntosh - might not make R1 but he will play games this year

Negatives:
Vickery: Virtually invisible. Had a 2-3 minute patch in the 2nd quarter where he took a couple of marks and had a nice lead and mark in the 4th so potentially could have had 3 shots at goal and kicked them all. But he didn't. Needs to create more opportunities for himself. Needs to crash packs more. Needs to clunk marks more. Not sure how he plays R1.
Conca: Sloppy. Looked almost dis-interested at times. Made some poor decisions with the footy in hand. I really want more from this bloke. He needs to harness his ranga powers better.
Lloyd as Sub: Small forwards aren't the right choice as a sub in my opinion. It's hard enough for a small forward to work their way into a game and make an impact. Much harder to do coming on at 3/4 time. If this is the coaching staff tactic for the season proper, it's the wrong tactic IMO. Was disappointed he didn't play from the start especially in Knights absence.

Always worried about R1 against the scum. This didn't make me any more or less confident about that game. Will be heading to Etihad later today for their game against the Cats. Maybe that will help......

Wouldn't worry about Lloyd being a sub, he isn't a runner and you need that in this era. Just think it was game time limits, just like batch.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy NAB 3: Richmond vs North Melbourne @ Etihad Stadium - Saturday 1:10pm, 21 March

Back