Preview NAB Challenge Pies vs Hawks Thur 26th (thread closed - please move discussion to Game Day thread)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
As a footnote - all of our kids (once again, aside from the new draftee's) have featured in the last two VFL Grand Finals. How exactly did this happen if they aren't better players?

You have better VFL Listed Players and hey we beat you the last 2 Seasons in the VFL and you did not have nearly half you list on the Injury List

We have one, maybe two at a stretch decent VFL listed players. It was mainly guys like Woodward, Hallahan, O'Brien, Cheney, Litherland, Hartung, Sicily, Brand, Simpkin, Webster and Willsmore getting the job done.

I'm going to hate myself for this but here goes....

There is a guy on the list called Tony Armstrong that has close to the best DE% at the club and most people want him cut. The similarities between Armstrong and Dwyer are freakish - both good disposal, both "footy smart", both lack penetration, both lack speed and both lack defensive intensity.

Who would you rather have Armstrong or Dwyer?

To be blunt neither. Like Blair and Goldsack both are decent bottom 6 players in a strong team (think Simpkin at Hawthorn or Byrnes whilst with Geelong), but they don't really provide much to a developing team.

Considering what the original premise for the discussion was though, Dwyer. Mainly because I prefer a guy that can execute under pressure in the front half over someone with good skills in the back half. I also wouldn't consider Armstrong a senior player myself.

Let me put it to you this way. Our best 22 would be better than yours, I'm sure even you would agree to that. The fact we were able to win another Premiership with guys like Whitecross missing the entire year, Sam Mitchell and Josh Gibson missing over half each means our depth has already been tried and, aside from the brand new kids, is already somewhat proven.

Guys like Whitecross, O'Rourke, Litherland, Anderson, Duryea, Woodward and Billy Hartung won't be in our best 22 each week, and they're all very good players in their own right. Also we managed to carry Jon Ceglar and Matt Spangher through games ffs, how is our depth no better than yours?

Onto the 40+ guys you touched on earlier. Personally I'm really only keen on the rookie picks in Hardisty and Miller-Lewis. The other three are largely average in my eyes, but I'm sure you won't know of any of them anyway so what exactly is your point? Actually I take that back. Pittonet will prove to be a fantastic get in the long run, but I'm not expecting much at all early on.

As a footnote - all of our kids (once again, aside from the new draftee's) have featured in the last two VFL Grand Finals. How exactly did this happen if they aren't better players?
I must question the logic of your first two points saying "the fact we won a premiership with guys like white cross missing the entire year" then go on to say that whitecross "won't be best 22 every week" with that said, I fail to see the significance.

An Armstrong v Dwyer discussion my time to shine:D

My two cents worth Dwyer is a bit better under pressure but Armstrong is a better tackler.

I must question the logic of your first two points saying "the fact we won a premiership with guys like white cross missing the entire year" then go on to say that whitecross "won't be best 22 every week" with that said, I fail to see the significance.

I think he would have been best 22 over the past two seasons (think he's a fairly big upgrade on Simpkin, for example) but now with O'Rourke and Anderson fit, and with a full pre-season under their belts, I expect them to overtake him. Also I don't think anyone at the club could have predicted Langford's rise to prominence, he became a big game player over the season. It all comes down to fitness, no doubt Whitecross will feature at some point.

An Armstrong v Dwyer discussion my time to shine:D

My two cents worth Dwyer is a bit better under pressure but Armstrong is a better tackler.

I say Dwyer is the way better player

Looking forward to footy finally returning. Should be a good game. Hopefully no injuries to either side.
Same here looking forward to it even if it's only a practice match. I expect the Hawks to win by a comfortable margin but my biggest worry or hope is that no injuries occur tomorrow night and that the kids play with some spirit and passion.

10995665_649092505220581_1905156370301587643_n.jpg

Hopefully this is taken in good humour guys. Bit of banter before such an important game....
**** UP SG!!!!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back