Review Nab Cup 2013 Grand Final: Brisbane Versus Carlton: Review

Remove this Banner Ad

Golby cleared... and I assume, by implication, Murphy was found to be a stager.

Soooo good!

sogood.gif

And here's the article Re: Golby

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-03-18/mrp-clears-hale

The final incident assessed from the weekend's matches was the contact between the Brisbane Lions' Mitch Golby and Carlton's Marc Murphy that occurred in the third quarter of Friday night's NAB Cup Grand Final.

It was the view of the panel that the majority of contact was made to Murphy’s shoulder, upper arm and body by Golby’s arm and was below that required to constitute a reportable offence.

Like Golby's style. We need a bit of rough and tough, even though a Martin Pyke Golby ain't.

Can even cop him going forehead to forehead with Green in our intraclub, seeing the trigger wasn't actually pulled.

But he will need to realise he is now on the umpiring radar. Will need to be a bit more subtle in future.

It was a pretty mild swipe, but Murphy went down like he was shot. If not for the fact he was Carlton's Captain, I reckon he might have had some explaining to do.

Nah, the ruling is that it's not staging if there's contact, isn't it? :(

That court case against Harvey is still going isn't it?....haven't heard any results if it has finished.....that would take a toll for a start and if he's travelling....

..he certainly looked out of it.

WOW!!

At least the MRP seems to be on our side:eek:

For the life of me, I couldn't see Golby getting off scott-free, if for no other reason than Murphy is a bit of a pin-up boy and captain of Carlton.

They've effectively said that good ol' Murph's a total wimp and/or was staging.

Loving it:thumbsu:

WOW!!

At least the MRP seems to be on our side:eek:

For the life of me, I couldn't see Golby getting off scott-free, if for no other reason than Murphy is a bit of a pin-up boy and captain of Carlton.

They've effectively said that good ol' Murph's a total wimp and/or was staging.

Loving it:thumbsu:

Indeed. Remembering the Raines Selwood incident from last year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Regarding the contact below the knees rule, so far I have seen one incident that has been anywhere near potentially dangerous (happened in the 2nd quarter from memory when a Carlton player made contact with Karnezis) and a free kick wasn't paid, so I would be giving the rule a 0 out of 10 so far. If they felt compelled to make new rules, perhaps a 'diving in danger' rule, similar to a 'kicking in danger' rule would have been more appropriate.

The Murphy incident reminded me of something Voss said a while back. Near the start of Leigh's tenure as Brisbane coach, Voss had a minor injury of some sort, and Leigh chided him on his reaction. He said as captain it was important to suck it up and show no pain, because any sign of weakness would filter down through to the rest of the team. Makes me wonder what Malthouse thought of it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Nab Cup 2013 Grand Final: Brisbane Versus Carlton: Review

Remove this Banner Ad

Back