NAB Cup/A-League GF ground clash

Remove this Banner Ad

OK looked at the fixture and 3 minutes of straight forwards thinking produced this setup.

Its a bit rough on cats fans but it allows 10 to have their live saturday games, and gives fox their game as well

And before you say its not enough notice for geelong and adelaide, the Dogs/Bombers game last week was transferred on monday played on friday.. i don't see how this is different (tuesday to saturday)

Sat 21
Cats v Adelaide
Move to Adelaide or Geelong (Ideal) - Make a day game on fox (not 10) (fox have double header with this game and hawthorn melbourne from tassie)

Richmond v Collingwood
Moved forward one week to Telstra Dome - Evening game on ch. 10

Sat 29th
Winner Matches 7 & 8 (Cats or Crows vs Swans or Power)
Played at Adelaide or Sydney - live on ch 10 (not fox)

A-League Grand Final
Telstra Dome

Win, win, win situation!

the AFL can thank me later for doing their job for them!
There was talk about moving Adel-Geel to Geelong incase Adelaide knocked off Melbourne. But Skilled is booked as well. I was thinking this game should be moved to Darwin

The footy bogans should be thanking the Victory, this way they get their warm bottle of afl milk two days earlier and they can lie back in their cots and suck blissfully on the nipple of AFL football. No more tears, the off-season is over.

God you guys are pathetic. My team won the premiership last year and even I'm not so desperate to prioritize a NAB Cup game over an A-League GF.

It should of happened 60-65 years ago, and it never happend. Why now.

I laugh at soccer fans who think that it will happen, after all these years of claiming it and never happening.
The funny thing is if you agree that it will take over it's because you fear it and if you don't agree it's because you fear it. you can't win.

I laugh at soccer fans who think that it will happen, after all these years of claiming it and never happening.

Yes it's like the second coming of Christ, don't hold your breath fellas! :D

I do have to laugh though at the obvious fear some people have of Football. They wont admit it, but they realise that over the next 5-10 years it will only get stronger and stronger whereas the AFL has pretty much reached it's maximum.

Soccer will always be a piss-ant game in Australia. :)

a) rugby league inflate their figures - storm, bunnies and chooks were all caught doing it last year.

b) in any case, the crowd averages for regular season are comparable.

c) take out the broncos, and A league crowd dominate the NRLs.
all 16 nrl crowds average without finals - 17K
all 8 a-league crowds average without finals - 12k

minus Brisbane Broncos - 16k
minus Melbourne Victory - 10k

Why bring Brisbane up. They only get 2 good crowds a year. vs NQ and vs GC. They struggle to get the same as Melbourne Victory in all their other games.

all 16 nrl crowds average without finals - 17K
all 8 a-league crowds average without finals - 12k

minus Brisbane Broncos - 16k
minus Melbourne Victory - 10k

Why bring Brisbane up. They only get 2 good crowds a year. vs NQ and vs GC. They struggle to get the same as Melbourne Victory in all their other games.

wherever you're getting your figures from (i suspect u made them up) they're wrong.

and i assume that doesn't factor in south sydney's 9000 that was actually 6000? or storms 12,000 that was actually under 10,000?

The A-League Grand Final should get priority over a pre-season practice match. They will draw a bigger crowd you'd think, although Ben Cousins mania might have something to say about that. It is, in any event, a much more significant game.

I agree with all that. My point all along has been that this is just the AFL making the stadium management sweat due to the legal dispute between them. It was never about trying to "shaft" soccer as some people in this thread seemed to believe.

wherever you're getting your figures from (i suspect u made them up) they're wrong.

and i assume that doesn't factor in south sydney's 9000 that was actually 6000? or storms 12,000 that was actually under 10,000?
Figures are correct.

I remember an article mid aleague season about how most games crowds are being overinflated.

I loved when Adelaide had 13K yet was half empty which would only make it 9K.

4K over inflation there.

The footy bogans should be thanking the Victory, this way they get their warm bottle of afl milk two days earlier and they can lie back in their cots and suck blissfully on the nipple of AFL football. No more tears, the off-season is over.

God you guys are pathetic. My team won the premiership last year and even I'm not so desperate to prioritize a NAB Cup game over an A-League GF.

Try reading the thread. 90% of people agree that the Soccer takes priority. The real question is where to play the NAB Cup game and keep Channel Ten happy.

Nice spelling!

I never said it will take over AFL, because it wont. Not in my lifetime. But it will eventually become on par with AFL. Of that I have no doubt.

And I am a massive AFL fan, moreso than a "Soccer" fan. It's just that I support both codes and aren't afraid to speak realistically.

A lot of what you're sprouting is just pure crap. Nothing more, nothing less.

Hoops said:
never heard of that term but football encompasses supporters from all walks of life in Australia, soccer less so
An ignorant comment if ever I have heard one.

Head to a Victory game and see the complete diversity of the crowd, it encapsulated the cultural diversity of Australia and Melbourne moreso than an AFL game.

It's the AFL's fault for starting the preseason three weeks earlier. The A-League fixture was made around June last year, AFL's in October. What did the AFL truly expect Melbourne to do if they hosted the GF?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sorry. I did deflate my crowds too lazy to add the real number

With Melbourne Victory - 12181 instead of 12000
Without Melbourne Victory - 10612 instead of 10000

With Brisbane Broncos - 17038 instead of 17000
Without Brisbane Broncos - 15760 (sorry I made 1 stuff up earlier ( i divided by 179 instead of 180 only made a differance of 88)) instead of 15000

With Collingwood Magpies - 36996
Without Collingwood Magpies - 35515

What is the current state of VFL grounds? and which has a large capacity and good enough lighting? any?

Just interested if any are options as i don't know.

Also Optus Oval?

Also when is the new Soccer Stadium going to be complete? (I know it isnt an option haha, just another interest question)

I seem to remember a legends game (i think) that was on TV, the lighting was pretty bad but still watchable anyone remember which ground that was played at?

EDIT: Just googled it was Optus Oval in 01 & 02

2002 Optus Oval, Melbourne All Stars 10.8 (68) def Victoria 10.3 (63)

2001 Optus Oval, Melbourne All-Stars 7.5 (47) drew Victoria 6.11 (47) (All-Stars won goal kickoff

Sorry. I did deflate my crowds too lazy to add the real number

With Melbourne Victory - 12181 instead of 12000
Without Melbourne Victory - 10612 instead of 10000

With Brisbane Broncos - 17038 instead of 17000
Without Brisbane Broncos - 15760 (sorry I made 1 stuff up earlier ( i divided by 179 instead of 180 only made a differance of 88)) instead of 15000

With Collingwood Magpies - 36996
Without Collingwood Magpies - 35515

You really need to get some sort of a life.

Remove this Banner Ad

NAB Cup/A-League GF ground clash

Remove this Banner Ad

Back