NAB Cup/A-League GF ground clash

Remove this Banner Ad

You think the A-League is going to move their marquee fixture for a pre season competition especially after assurances from Telstra Dome? :eek:

The AFL wont be playing next Saturday night at TD.

Deal with it.
Whats the problem with Saturady Night. Did AUFC win. So Geelong vs Adelaide must be moved then.

Wouldn't be a issue if not for the incompetence of FFA.
The AFL should get priority as it is legally guaranteed, but their will probably be a deal done and the Grand Final for our D grade soccer competition.

the ignorance and the insular behaviour of some people in this thread are what gives rise to the term 'footy bogan'.

for anyone to think a practise game for the AFL is bigger than a grand final of the world game that will attract 55,000 people is just insular in the extreme.

football is the most popular game in the world, and arguably it's the most important sport in australia at the moment given what it can do for australia (ie. the world cup).

there's an oft-sprouted term among the football community that says "smell the fear"... and the fear is present in this thread.

from march until september, footy should, and does, enjoy priority at the dome... but in february? get over yourselves, bogans.

the world is bigger than our game.

You do realise this isn't a world cup fixture ? How popular the sport is in Europe or South America has nothing to do with the issues being debated in this thread.

Do the Yanks give preference to MLS ahead of NFL games because Soccer is the "World Game" ?

It should also be noted that the FFA should be very nice to the AFL considering they want them to put their season on hold so they can host the World Cup;)

Wouldn't be a issue if not for the incompetence of FFA.
The AFL should get priority as it is legally guaranteed, but their will probably be a deal done and the Grand Final for our D grade soccer competition.
D grade?

A grade- top 4 european leauges
B grade- next 3 european leagues
C grade- top asian, 2 top north american leagues
D grade- 2 top south ameriscan leagues
E grade- next top 8 european leagues
F grade- next top asian league
G grade- A-League

A grade- AFL

You would think that something A-Grade is better then the final of a G-Grade event.

If the A-League thinks they are bigger than the AFL, then surely they can compete with it head to head and beat it.

If not, stay out of the AFL's way you substandard excuse of a league.

A League grand final will be at the Dome on Saturday week at 7:30pm. I have had a email confirmation and it is on the TD website.

It is believed the clubs are happy to play at the Dome on Thursday week but the sticking point is Channel 10. Channel 10 want a game on Saturday if that is the case the Collingwood vs Richmond game could be forced to be played interstate (eg Gold Coast) on that Saturday Night.

You do realise this isn't a world cup fixture ? How popular the sport is in Europe or South America has nothing to do with the issues being debated in this thread.

Do the Yanks give preference to MLS ahead of NFL games because Soccer is the "World Game" ?

The A-League Grand Final should get priority over a pre-season practice match. They will draw a bigger crowd you'd think, although Ben Cousins mania might have something to say about that. It is, in any event, a much more significant game.

There are a lot of morons in this thread.

Both the AFL and FFA had tentative bookings made on the stadium for 28th February. Not 100% confirmed, but tentative.

FFA made their booking first because they released their fixture some 4-5 months before the AFL.

When it came to final, guaranteed bookings again the FFA got in first because they were able to do that on Saturday evening whilst the AFL couldn't confirm until Sunday evening.

The FFA have done everything right and in the end common sense will prevail, the Football will be at TD and the NAB Cup can piss off to Punt Road for all I care.
Even better if the AFL get better stadium deals for their clubs

(Log in to remove this ad.)

what about friday night, sunday twilight?
Wrong timeslot.
Its far too late to be telling clubs they're playing this weekend instead of next week.

Especially Richmond after playing Sunday evening.
If you read what im answering you wouldnt be quoting me. Considering you are quoting me, go back and read what I quoted.
It should also be noted that the FFA should be very nice to the AFL considering they want them to put their season on hold so they can host the World Cup;)
We're supposed to stand aside for a world cup in June/July in 2018.

Now we're supposed to stand aside for a G-Grade event.

Soccer is really arrogant and they have no right too in this country. FFS Rugby League gets bigger crowds, in Australia.

the ignorance and the insular behaviour of some people in this thread are what gives rise to the term 'footy bogan'.

for anyone to think a practise game for the AFL is bigger than a grand final of the world game that will attract 55,000 people is just insular in the extreme.

football is the most popular game in the world, and arguably it's the most important sport in australia at the moment given what it can do for australia (ie. the world cup).

there's an oft-sprouted term among the football community that says "smell the fear"... and the fear is present in this thread.

from march until september, footy should, and does, enjoy priority at the dome... but in february? get over yourselves, bogans.

All the more reason we should support our indigenous game. If we don't no-one else will.

D grade?

A grade- top 4 european leauges
B grade- next 3 european leagues
C grade- top asian, 2 top north american leagues
D grade- 2 top south ameriscan leagues
E grade- next top 8 european leagues
F grade- next top asian league
G grade- A-League

A grade- AFL

You would think that something A-Grade is better then the final of a G-Grade event.

If the A-League thinks they are bigger than the AFL, then surely they can compete with it head to head and beat it.

If not, stay out of the AFL's way you substandard excuse of a league.

CLEARLY you have ABSOLUTELY NFI about the world of football.

but keep talking, i'm enjoying you making an idiot of yourself.

north american and asian leagues better than south american? :eek::eek::eek:

all asian leagues better than the A league after adelaide made the asian champions league final? :eek::eek::eek:

edit: oh, and preseason practise matches, A Grade?

NFI

CLEARLY you have ABSOLUTELY NFI about the world of football.

but keep talking, i'm enjoying you making an idiot of yourself.

north american and asian leagues better than south american? :eek::eek::eek:

all asian leagues better than the A league after adelaide made the asian champions league final? :eek::eek::eek:

edit: oh, and preseason practise matches, A Grade?

NFI
I have a huge idea of Football

and enough idea of soccer to comment.

Soccer is really arrogant and they have no right too in this country. FFS Rugby League gets bigger crowds, in Australia.

Hardly. Take a look at the crowd figures, they're not up for debate, although Storm have been caught inflating their numbers by counting officials and players :eek:

The Melbourne Storm are a rugby team in Melbourne despite no professional Melbourne players ever playing the game. They also lose millions of dollars a year and are given free advertising by the Herald Sun, as well as half a million dollars a year in State Government funding.

If anyone has no right to be arrogant and entitled, it's the News Limited Storm.

Melbourne Victory have great crowds and they're playing finals. This takes priority over a game that means absolutely nothing.

I love the fact people think the FFA just came in this weekend and tried to make a booking for Telstra Dome.

Honestly people, think about what you're saying. The FFA would have made TENTATIVE bookings at the major stadia around the country for that weekend. As it became obvious that some wouldn't be needed, they simply cancel that.

I also love how people assume that the AFL has a legal right to the stadium simply because it's stated in an AFL-slanted article, by an AFL journalist in an AFL paper. No bias at all.

In the end it has been confirmed that the A-League Grand Final will take place at TD on that night and the AFL are forced to move their game, so there is no point in even arguing.

I do have to laugh though at the obvious fear some people have of Football. They wont admit it, but they realise that over the next 5-10 years it will only get stronger and stronger whereas the AFL has pretty much reached it's maximum.

The insular Footy bogan is a dying bread...and thank god for that.

the ignorance and the insular behaviour of some people in this thread are what gives rise to the term 'footy bogan'
never heard of that term but football encompasses supporters from all walks of life in Australia, soccer less so

this is not the world cup. Should the U7 Altona soccer League get priority over the TD, because it's the "World game"

Having said that I believe that the A-league GF should be given priority but not before the AFL has milked it for better stadium deal for it's clubs.

what it can do is up for debate what it's done, Football >> soccer

you should visit soccer forums the fear is palpable

And the AFL is bigger than the A-league. bad argument

a) rugby league inflate their figures - storm, bunnies and chooks were all caught doing it last year.

b) in any case, the crowd averages for regular season are comparable.

c) take out the broncos, and A league crowd dominate the NRLs.

OK looked at the fixture and 3 minutes of straight forwards thinking produced this setup.

Its a bit rough on cats fans but it allows 10 to have their live saturday games, and gives fox their game as well

And before you say its not enough notice for geelong and adelaide, the Dogs/Bombers game last week was transferred on monday played on friday.. i don't see how this is different (tuesday to saturday)

Sat 21
Cats v Adelaide
Move from Telstra Dome to Adelaide or Geelong (Ideal) - Make a day game on fox (not 10) (fox have double header with this game and hawthorn melbourne from tassie)

Richmond v Collingwood
Moved forward one week to Telstra Dome - Evening game on ch. 10

Sat 29th
Winner Matches 7 & 8 (Cats or Crows vs Swans or Power)
Played at Adelaide or Sydney - live on ch 10 (not fox)

A-League Grand Final
Telstra Dome

Win, win, win situation!

the AFL can thank me later for doing their job for them!

I love the fact people think the FFA just came in this weekend and tried to make a booking for Telstra Dome.

Honestly people, think about what you're saying. The FFA would have made TENTATIVE bookings at the major stadia around the country for that weekend. As it became obvious that some wouldn't be needed, they simply cancel that.

I also love how people assume that the AFL has a legal right to the stadium simply because it's stated in an AFL-slanted article, by an AFL journalist in an AFL paper. No bias at all.

In the end it has been confirmed that the A-League Grand Final will take place at TD on that night and the AFL are forced to move their game, so there is no point in even arguing.

I do have to laugh though at the obvious fear some people have of Football. They wont admit it, but they realise that over the next 5-10 years it will only get stronger and stronger whereas the AFL has pretty much reached it's maximum.

The insular Footy bogan is a dying bread...and thank god for that.
It should of happened 60-65 years ago, and it never happend. Why now.

I laugh at soccer fans who think that it will happen, after all these years of claiming it and never happening.

Remove this Banner Ad

NAB Cup/A-League GF ground clash

Remove this Banner Ad

Back