NAB Cup/A-League GF ground clash

Remove this Banner Ad

Sportal don't have any bias whatsoever, they are the ones who actually asked the question rather than just assume (like Damian Barrett did).

Sportal is a widely read website, so plenty of people will see it.

Now think for a minute, what business (TD is a business) would sign a contract with a tenant (in this case with the AFL) that allows that tenant to be able to have final say on when something will be held there?

The TD would be mad to sign a contract that would allow TD the final say and legal rights to the ground whenever they want. In the end TD run a business and as such they will have the final say on what events are conducted there, not a tenant.

As I said, any unbiased person with logical thinking could've worked that out.
If they don't have a bias, why is soccer refered to as football?

also just because something might make sense such as A-league GF over AFL pre-season game does not automatically make it so.

also just because something might make sense such as A-league GF over AFL pre-season game does not automatically make it so.
It also makes sense for the A-League to span from the first weekend of October to the first weekend of February.

The NRL got precedence over the AFL at homebush when the swans played Geelong in that semi that was changed to the SCG. despite the swans pulling a much larger crowd.

I think in domestic cricket recently the NRL got shafted from the SCG.

contracts are made for what suits at the time. TD could of signed a contract to the AFL before the Victory even existed.

That doesn't make it bias, it's just the term they use to refer to the sport. Hardly a sign of bias.

Riggy1 said:
Melbourne Victory is relocating to a new stadium next season anyway. Why not do it a bit early.
Ooh I don't know, let's try the fact it isn't even built yet.

Finals will always continue to be held at TD anyway because of the larger capacity.

As was said elsewhere if you want to overcome this problem, then support Australia's bid for the World Cup because if we are successful the new rectangular stadium will be redeveloped into a 50k stadium and we wont have these problems!

A week or 2 ago the AFL sent out a press release about the possibility of games being shifted due to A-League fixtures. Now what changed between that press release and the new stance the AFL decided to take late yesterday:confused:

A week or 2 ago the AFL sent out a press release about the possibility of games being shifted due to A-League fixtures. Now what changed between that press release and the new stance the AFL decided to take late yesterday:confused:
because it was only for Adelaide vs Geelong, incase Melbourne Victory lost to Adelaide United.

Nothing has changed from the AFL. Its all because of Melbourne Victory.

Nothing changed, the AFL said that should West Coast OR Fremantle win their respective Round 1 NAB Cup clashes with Collingwood or Richmond - then, the NAB Cup 2nd Round clash would definitely be played at Subiaco if Telstra Dome was required.

I'm not aware that they definitely specified where the match would be played should both Collingwood and Richmond win. I think that was "suggested" by various folks in the media.

If you can show me something on the AFL website stating this possibility then I'll concede that but I can't recall.

Nothing changed, the AFL said that should West Coast OR Fremantle win their respective Round 1 NAB Cup clashes with Collingwood or Richmond - then, the NAB Cup 2nd Round clash would definitely be played at Subiaco if Telstra Dome was required.

I'm not aware that they definitely specified where the match would be played should both Collingwood and Richmond win. I think that was "suggested" by various folks in the media.

If you can show me something on the AFL website stating this possibility then I'll concede that but I can't recall.

So the AFL were only prepared to move if the WA teams won.

So the AFL were only prepared to move if the WA teams won.

Yes - because the AFL had also booked Subiaco for that night on a provisional basis.

What would have happened had Perth Glory been hosting the A-League GF and Fremantle and West Coast had both won?

Likely a similar sort of issue right.

This all seems a little petty from the AFL, but then again they have been pressured by Channel 10 in this case.

C10 knows that without a footy game on sat night their ratings will drop significantly, and have pushed the AFL into this fight.

The AFL should back down, tell C10 that the game is to be played on Thursday night and they can have rights to it, and lets all move on.

After all, its a GF that Victory are playing in, follow them or not, they should have the right this week to have the prime slot.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Melbourne Victory have won the rights

Well the right decision has been made. Jesus! A Grand Final or a pre-season game? I'm not a soccer fan its insulting that this was even up for debate. I am absolutely sick to death of Ben Cousins.

Because that's the name of the sport, maybe?
Its actually Association Football.
So they took soccer From (bolded above) to distinguish themselves of other football codes.
Just like American Football took Gridion to distinguish themselves.
And Rugby League took League to distinguish themselves from Rugby

Our members received an email at 12:40pm today outlining GF ticket sale details.

I don't think there was ever going to be another outcome.

BTW come on Dyertribe, you know only aussie rules and the two rugby codes are allowed to refer to their sports as football. We should never allow a sport that is actually called football to be called football in the media.

Channel 10 News has confirmed that the Grand Final will be played on Feb 28th at the Telstra Dome at 7:30pm.

Poor Andrew, not getting his way. Congrats to the Telstra Dome, you've got my respect for using your brains. And well done to Ben Buckley and not leting wee Andrew bully your way out. Thanks to Andrew we have more headline space about the grand final!

Scores:

FFA 1
AFL 0

Channel 10 News has confirmed that the Grand Final will be played on Feb 28th at the Telstra Dome at 7:30pm.

Poor Andrew, not getting his way. Congrats to the Telstra Dome, you've got my respect for using your brains. And well done to Ben Buckley and not leting wee Andrew bully your way out. Thanks to Andrew we have more headline space about the grand final!

Scores:

FFA 1
AFL 0
No Multi use stadium in Adelaide

AFL 1
FFA 1

Remove this Banner Ad

NAB Cup/A-League GF ground clash

Remove this Banner Ad

Back