shaz63

Club Legend
Aug 29, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Port Magpies, 36er's
Who from Big Footy is attending the NAB Cup on Sunday??? Should be a good chance for the new guys to get out and show everyone what they have to offer the team this year.

I will be attending.

For anyone wanting to know prices I have included the link for online purchasing.

http://http://www.bass.net.au/events/nab1.php

Hope to see lots of Teal in the crowd :D

Scares, scars spice Cup duel
By MICHELANGELO RUCCI
21feb06
http://www.theadvertiser.news.com.au/footy/story_page/0,8747,18216883%5E25397,00.html

PORT Adelaide defender Chad Cornes infamously labelled the last Power-Crows encounter a "dream final". History records, after Adelaide's 83-point win, that Showdowns are no longer a nightmare for the Crows.

And that's the rub Port must deal with in Sunday's knockout NAB Cup opener with Adelaide at AAMI Stadium. After winning the past three derbies in premiership battles and four of the past six clashes against Port, the Crows no longer tremble before derbies.

The psychological scar is gone. If there is any extra incentive for Port this weekend it is to regain lost ground against the Crows, making Sunday's game more enticing when pre-season games are usually dismissed as meaningless.

"Absolutely," concurred Power defender Adam Kingsley yesterday. "They (the Crows) have won the last three.

"While this (cup) game isn't quite as big as those during the season, it would be marvellous to win."

When Port dominated Showdowns - racing to a 10-4 lead for local bragging rights by the end of the 2003 season - there was not a Power player not eager to get into the heads of his Crows rivals.

As a sign of how the balance has shifted, Kingsley was more than diplomatic when asked if the Crows - for the first time in derby rivalry - would enter a clash with Port sensing the upper hand, physically and mentally.

"I'm not sure how they will approach the game," said Kingsley. "They have won the past three and will be confident they can do it again. But I'm not going to get into their mental approach; you'll have to ask them."

Port's approach to the NAB Cup - a prize it won in 2001 and 2002 when it had different sponsorship names - is about winning, or at least finding the players who are self-inspired to win.

If the Power last year was hungover from - or jaded by - its long winning campaign to the 2004 flag, it is expecting the influx of young players to reinvigorate its much-questioned hunger to win.

"The young guys are playing well," acknowledged Kingsley, starting his 10th AFL season at Alberton. "And if you play well and impress early here, you tend to stay in the side. The pressure is on the older guys to make sure they perform.

"There's a lot of pressure for spots here."

Internal competition and external pressure to deal with the Crows' improving record is already combining to ensure Port enters Sunday's match with an edge.

Just as critical is that the Power is under pressure to deliver a signal to a supporter base and an AFL world looking for clarity on where it is heading in 2006.

Kingsley suggests there is no major re-fit unfolding at Alberton.

"We haven't had a major rethink (of our game)," said Kingsley. "There are some minor modifications, but nothing major. The coaches have worked on a style of game you need to play to win games - and we're confident in our ability (to deliver)."

Port will rest today and have its major training sessions tomorrow and on Friday.

Do not think I'll make the appearance this week.

Port are always my first love but a knockout Prelim for Adelaide United at Hindmarsh will certainly be given precedence over a meaningless practice game.

Dissapointing with all these events on the same day.

I'm going. I'll be surprised if we get within coeee but I want to see our new guys in a more intense hit-out than an internal trial can ever offer. I've got a busy day before and after, but this will be the highlight.

snap-shot said:
I'm thinking about going :)

Only thinking :confused: :p :D
So sorry, but i found your comment very amusing for some reason.
I really want to get a better look at our young guys in action again, so i'll be at the game. :thumbsu:
I'm not very confident this week, but i feel it's more important for the long term benefits of our club that our youngsters get the opportunity to play against quality opposition.
For example, say someone like Ebert got the chance to run with Goodwin for a quarter or two, this would show him what areas of his game he needs to work harder on to become a better player.

Yeah, that'd be great...then he'd be a real Byron Pickett replacement and spend half the year suspended.

Mr Magoo said:
Only thinking :D

haha, well I think to much - what time do i have to leave, where do I park, do I have time to go shopping, where do I sit, I have to get tickets, do I get them at the gate or bass, what do I wear, what do I eat, do I eat before or during or after the game, do I take my camera or do I just enjoy myself..... :eek:

see...I thinking about it ;) but I'm not going, gonna watch it on tv instead!:thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For those of you not attending the game and still wanting to watch it. I hope that you either have Foxtel or know someone with it, or intend heading to a pub to watch the telecast. It is not on Channel 9.

So why not come along and join the rest of us at the game and cheer on the boys:D

Remove this Banner Ad

NAB Cup on Sunday

Remove this Banner Ad

Back