Name change WTF!!

Remove this Banner Ad

They are naming rights though.

We will be called the Tassie Hawks, just like we're called the HSBC Hawks.

Is a stupid deal and the club has got it wrong

So when we run out on to the MCG, we will be announced as the Tassie Hawks, even though it's sponsorship. I don't care if it is for dollars and if we still doe remain Hawthorn, but that is going to confuse the **** out of everyone, and alienate all Melbourne based supporters.

Hawkers said:
They are naming rights though.

We will be called the Tassie Hawks, just like we're called the HSBC Hawks.

Is a stupid deal and the club has got it wrong

Agree. At least HSBC wasn't confusing the location of the club.

Herbs hawks said:
IT WILL BE MAJOR **** OFF IF THIS IS THE CASE. MAY NOT EVEN RENEW MY 7 YEAR MEMBERSHIP NEXT YEAR!

Well maybe if your willing to tip millions of dollars into the club we can be called the "Herb Hawks"

You people should grow up and see the deal for what it is, a fantastic oppurtunity for our club to move forward and be secure with our $$$$.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Absolute stupidity. I know they'll still be the Hawthorn Hawks but to allow the naming rights to go to a state is very very weird. Shouldve demanded more money for something like that to be agreed upon.

Every other aspect in the media release sound very reasonable.

goal padding with Tasmania on it and advertising around the MCG and even the name on the guernsey but to become a naming rights sponser seems one step too far.

kick it long said:
Well maybe if your willing to tip millions of dollars into the club we can be called the "Herb Hawks"

You people should grow up and see the deal for what it is, a fantastic oppurtunity for our club to move forward and be secure with our $$$$.

When does it stop becoming Hawthorn though?
Money isn't everything

Our clubs remains registered as the Hawthorn Football Club Limited, a business entity as well as a football club.

A name change would require a vote by members at an AGM or EGM.

The name 'Tassie Hawks' is a guernsey naming rights thing, a marketing ploy/deal to last for five years. International banker, HSBC, remains as the principal partner.

As an example we will continue to sing 'We're a happy team at Hawthorn'.

kick it long said:

So would packing up and moving to the Gold Coast. Some things are sellable sure, but not your identity.

Kennett has a press conference at 2.15 to announce it officially and bull**** his way around his promise that the name would not change whilst he was president. This years AGM looks like becoming standing room only.

In a way I'm jealous as the Kangaroos need every cent they can get and this is something they should have looked at. My understanding is that this is the first phase of a plan by the Tasmanian Government to get an AFL team to relocate to Tasmania, that doesn’t have to be the Hawks, but it definitely looks like they are they are the preferred target.

GM of AFL Tasmania, Scott Wade, was on ABC local radio a couple of weeks ago saying that it was the "duty of those involved in Tasmanian football to explore all measures to get a Tasmanian based team in the AFL"

Well done to the Hawks - sounds like a great deal except the name change bit would worry me. The Kangas don't have to change their name (we already have to the Kangaroos) but if the right $$$s were there I am sure we would.
Interesting times guys!
The most amazing thing is how well this has been kept secret - with so many footy scribes snooping around I can't beleive it wasn't leaked ahead of the announcement.
Look on the bright side and think survival.
Good luck for 2007!

We will ALWAYS be THE HAWTHORN HAWKS.

I believe when in Tassie some commentators will call us the Tassie Hawks, but this has nothing to do with an identity change, and IMO will increase membership, especially if we can get eleven games at the G.

gokangas said:
The most amazing thing is how well this has been kept secret - .....
It has been well mooted in the media over the past week .... even a thread on it here on the Hawks BF Board.

gokangas said:
Well done to the Hawks - sounds like a great deal except the name change bit would worry me. The Kangas don't have to change their name (we already have to the Kangaroos) but if the right $$$s were there I am sure we would.
Interesting times guys!
The most amazing thing is how well this has been kept secret - with so many footy scribes snooping around I can't beleive it wasn't leaked ahead of the announcement.
Look on the bright side and think survival.
Good luck for 2007!

You have already had to change your name !!! On the ladder , which by the way I am sure we will still see the word Hawthorn, we dont see North Melbourne.

Remove this Banner Ad

Name change WTF!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back