Name the KPF/KPD you'd like us to get with our first pick

Remove this Banner Ad

the more they are pumping up mccarthy, the less i am thinking he will be there for us at 17. which is a pity as he is a dockers supporter

The clubs have already made their minds up on who they intend to pick.
All the press articles and phantom drafts count for nil; they can pump away all they like.
Fremantle are good chance to get McCarthy IMO.

I don't know that much about the draftees coming through, who do you think is a better forward, Apeness or Harvey? I can see Harvey going to either Port or Adelaide, as they're both seeking a forward and hes a local boy.

Good Question and tough call actually. I think at this stage Harvey (197 cm) is probably better having played there more but Apeness (199 cm) could be a real monster like tippet - if he has the burst speed needed and this is what I am not sure having seem him yet just going by reports. I would have both ahead of guys like Hourigan and Marsh (both 192 cm) simply on height in todays game. Also Chris25 mentioned he liked the cut of Apenesss' jib much earlier in the year.

I think McCarthy is the shoe in for 2nd best KPF in the draft but will be gone by our pick. Good chance we will take Apeness or Harvey with our first pick assuming McCarthy is gone. Would love to get McCarthy though being a mad Freo fan he would be so pumped and it has to be good for the culture getting some more Freo supporting kids into the club.

All this discussion will be ultimately futile. We all know deep down that we will nab a mid with our first pick.

Its an almost statistical certainty. The majority of good players are in the 180-186cm range - I would guess at about 80% at least. That means with our policy of taking best available the odds are well and truly stacked against us getting a tall with our first pick.

Unless, of course, Bond suddenly grows the cojones to take a punt on a tall.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

All this discussion will be ultimately futile. We all know deep down that we will nab a mid with our first pick.

Its an almost statistical certainty. The majority of good players are in the 180-186cm range - I would guess at about 80% at least. That means with our policy of taking best available the odds are well and truly stacked against us getting a tall with our first pick.

Unless, of course, Bond suddenly grows the cojones to take a punt on a tall.

If Mcarthy is available they will take him and if he's not you're right ,a mid it will be.

If Mcarthy is available they will take him and if he's not you're right ,a mid it will be.

This is what I mean about Bond getting the cojones to take a risk. We have enough depth in young mids/HFF types to afford to take a punt on a tall even if McCarthy is gone.

Having a good draft/trading model is all fine and good but if you blindly adhere to it regardless of circumstances then it can be your achilles heel. One could speculate that our reluctance to take a punt on a young tall in the 2009-2011 drafts has already cost us a flag. We went best available with Michie, Mellington, Pitt and Roberton and where are they now?

We made one mistake with Pitt vs Darling, and that's it. Admittedly it was a big mistake, but there were personality issues involved ... perhaps partially concocted by WC that hoodwinked everyone ... but there were reasons nonetheless.

The facts are there are maybe 3-4 good ones in each draft, and most go at the top end. The only entry points we've had recently to attack this top end were Hill, Morabito and losing a draft pick to ironically chase a KPP in Tarrant. Mora has suffered bad luck, but on exposed talent I think that was the correct call as Butcher is a dud. Maybe we could have taken Hurley, but that's a big maybe.

We have tried continuously at most available points in the draft/trade. Tarrant, Faulks, Mourish, Sibosado, Houghton, Howson, Taberner, Smith, Silvagni, Gumbleton, Dawson. Go back earlier to Polak, Murphy, Campbell ... different drafting team, but their age (28-29 now) makes them still somewhat relevant. Not to mention the rucks like Warnock, Clarke, Moller, Hannath. But people act like we have just ignored talls. We have tried a lot, and just failed a lot as well.

If McCarthy is not there, we should not be reaching to grab a different tall just for the sake of it. This isn't blindly adhering to some strict best available model. If we have a list of 20 players we rate that are left at 17; if we have to go down the list past say #4 to find a tall, it makes no sense at all to pluck out that player.

We made one mistake with Pitt vs Darling, and that's it. Admittedly it was a big mistake, but there were personality issues involved ... perhaps partially concocted by WC that hoodwinked everyone ... but there were reasons nonetheless.

The facts are there are maybe 3-4 good ones in each draft, and most go at the top end. The only entry points we've had recently to attack this top end were Hill, Morabito and losing a draft pick to ironically chase a KPP in Tarrant. Mora has suffered bad luck, but on exposed talent I think that was the correct call as Butcher is a dud. Maybe we could have taken Hurley, but that's a big maybe.

We have tried continuously at most available points in the draft/trade. Tarrant, Faulks, Mourish, Sibosado, Houghton, Howson, Taberner, Smith, Silvagni, Gumbleton, Dawson. Go back earlier to Polak, Murphy, Campbell ... different drafting team, but their age (28-29 now) makes them still somewhat relevant. Not to mention the rucks like Warnock, Clarke, Moller, Hannath. But people act like we have just ignored talls. We have tried a lot, and just failed a lot as well.

If McCarthy is not there, we should not be reaching to grab a different tall just for the sake of it. This isn't blindly adhering to some strict best available model. If we have a list of 20 players we rate that are left at 17; if we have to go down the list past say #4 to find a tall, it makes no sense at all to pluck out that player.
I wonder if other clubs bitch about the player they drafted instead of Darling as much as we do here.

Cameron Giles.

From the footage available he moves and plays differently to tanner smith .
While KPF is a more so a want now with Gumby arriving , KPD is almost a need ...
I'd be happy to see him added if mcCarthy is gone

Agreed. Him or Gardiner would be a win, IMO.

First pick should be either Gardiner or McCartney or next best player that's not from melbourne.

Second pick should be marsh, Harvey, Giles, lobb, apeness, thorp, hourigan, kolodjashnij

Third pick brown, mcstay, another Pearce, conlon, scully, barass, Tippett, d Cameron,

Rookie draft pick one allir allir, fort, vandeluer, thurlow,

First pick should be either Gardiner or McCartney or next best player that's not from melbourne.

Second pick should be marsh, Harvey, Giles, lobb, apeness, thorp, hourigan, kolodjashnij

Third pick brown, mcstay, another Pearce, conlon, scully, barass, Tippett, d Cameron,

Rookie draft pick one allir allir, fort, vandeluer, thurlow,
I like it. I'm actually a fan of Joel Tippett. I've seen him play in the SANFL a couple of times and he certainly doesn't look out of place. Although, I think we could possibly pick him up in the rookie draft. I think with his marking he'd be able to be swung forward too. At 196cm he's the perfect size for a KPP too.

I'd be inclined if I got my wish to draft 1. McCarthy, 2. Marsh, 3. Giles and Tippett and Allir as rookies.
I don't know too much about Harvey and Hourigan except from what I've seen on the AFL website, but they just don't look like stand outs to me. Would be happy to be proven wrong though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Name the KPF/KPD you'd like us to get with our first pick

Remove this Banner Ad

Back