Name the KPF/KPD you'd like us to get with our first pick

Remove this Banner Ad

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-11-16/drafts-man-of-mystery

CAMERON Conlon has the all the attributes of a first round draft pick.

He stands at an imposing 198cm, can leap like a flea off a wet dog, has a strong pair of hands, deft touch in the ruck, and is accurate in front of goal.

The only problem? Thanks to an untimely run of injuries, he hasn't played a single game of football in almost 18 months.

Click here to read Cameron Conlon's draft profile

It is for that reason that the big Victorian is one of the unknown quantities of next week's NAB AFL Draft, with recruiters faced with a serious quandary.
Do they use a speculative pick on Conlon now, knowing the pay-off could be huge but not sure how fully his fitness and form will return?

Or do they play it safe and wait 12 months, aware that a strong 2014 season could see him priced much higher at this time next year?

Even the teenager himself is unsure of which way clubs will lean.

"I don't really have much of a clue what's going to happen at the moment," Conlon told AFL.com.au this week.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-11-16/drafts-man-of-mystery

CAMERON Conlon has the all the attributes of a first round draft pick.

He stands at an imposing 198cm, can leap like a flea off a wet dog, has a strong pair of hands, deft touch in the ruck, and is accurate in front of goal.

The only problem? Thanks to an untimely run of injuries, he hasn't played a single game of football in almost 18 months.

Click here to read Cameron Conlon's draft profile

It is for that reason that the big Victorian is one of the unknown quantities of next week's NAB AFL Draft, with recruiters faced with a serious quandary.
Do they use a speculative pick on Conlon now, knowing the pay-off could be huge but not sure how fully his fitness and form will return?

Or do they play it safe and wait 12 months, aware that a strong 2014 season could see him priced much higher at this time next year?

Even the teenager himself is unsure of which way clubs will lean.

"I don't really have much of a clue what's going to happen at the moment," Conlon told AFL.com.au this week.

Sounds like a good choice for our first rookie pick.

Are there any high-jumpers on the board? Reason I ask is that it occurs to me that Marsh could turn his impressive speed bursts into impressive high leaps with a bit of technique and room for a run up. IIRC, the muscle groups used in high jump / sprinting are much the same yes?

Am I off base here - or could Marsh make up for his lack of KPF height with a bit of technique & training?

Are there any high-jumpers on the board? Reason I ask is that it occurs to me that Marsh could turn his impressive speed bursts into impressive high leaps with a bit of technique and room for a run up. IIRC, the muscle groups used in high jump / sprinting are much the same yes?

Am I off base here - or could Marsh make up for his lack of KPF height with a bit of technique & training?

Good theory but vertical leap does not always equal contested marking...and a KPF needs to be able to compete whether in the air or on the ground - you don't see Jonathan Brown getting too aerial too often yet he's an absolute beast in a contest ... you just don't always get a run at the ball these days with defenders blocking space so well now they can't scrag and smash arms in a contest, defending techniques have morphed.

There are other KPF's available in the draft, we don't need to 'turn' a tall, fast midfielder into one

Good theory but vertical leap does not always equal contested marking...and a KPF needs to be able to compete whether in the air or on the ground - you don't see Jonathan Brown getting too aerial too often yet he's an absolute beast in a contest ... you just don't always get a run at the ball these days with defenders blocking space so well now they can't scrag and smash arms in a contest, defending techniques have morphed.

There are other KPF's available in the draft, we don't need to 'turn' a tall, fast midfielder into one

A good point - the only reason you would take Marsh over McCarthy then is if you wanted a swingman / mobile forward as opposed to a KPF. Makes sense...

If Cameron McCarthy's gone by 17 -- and reading all news reports, it seems either Brisbane, Collingwood, or Carlton would grab him first -- I'd pick Michael Apeness. It's damn hard to argue against choosing him, considering our primary needs and the words "200 cm" -- which immediately sends me scurrying to my iPad's metric-to-imperial system converter app :mad: -- and "AFL-ready" accompanying the media's scouting reports. I'd also roll the dice on Mitch Thorp at 37, then take the best available tall defender at 58.

If Cameron McCarthy's gone by 17 -- and reading all news reports, it seems either Brisbane, Collingwood, or Carlton would grab him first -- I'd pick Michael Apeness. It's damn hard to argue against choosing him, considering our primary needs and the words "200 cm" -- which immediately sends me scurrying to my iPad's metric-to-imperial system converter app :mad: -- and "AFL-ready" accompanying the media's scouting reports. I'd also roll the dice on Mitch Thorp at 37, then take the best available tall defender at 58.

I'd prefer
KPF
KPD
mid
if McCarthy is gone for the first pick, maybe aim for Conlon with the second & get either Gardiner or Giles with our first.
like the sound of Jansen (mid) as well.
alternatively, we go for a great mid first & then the "bigs"
either way, I'd like to see 3 different types drafted.

Conlon would only be rooky draft prospect only ,I would not use our either of our first 2 picks to get him .
Marsh would be my first pick and Giles my second . if either is gone before we get a chance the Apeness
would be fall back position.

Chris what's your feelings on Robertson from West Perth 191cm 91 KG .
He has the same problem as Fyfe with his shoulder but his stats were very good before the injury .
RTB has interviewed him and he did train with freo for a week ,I think maybe rooky draft since he hasn't played any footy for a year .
Acording to Hagdorn he won't be picked up in the 20's and only maybe 30's .
The feeling I get is till he is seen playing after the shoulder opp no one will draft him and he may have to play another year in WAFL .
He could be another Crozier for us if we take him this year as a punt with pick 58

Nov 9: Carlton, Western Bulldogs and Fremantle are looking seriously into reviving former Hawthorn forward Mitch Thorp's AFL career, while Gold Coast and Brisbane hold some interest

Nov 13: Western Bulldogs coach Brendan McCartney says his club is not interested in drafting former Hawk Mitch Thorp

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For the Apeness fans. Don't think anything has been said just putting two and two together and coming up with?
From Paige Cardona.
FREMANTLE could roll the dice and opt for 200cm, 100kg born-again forward, Michael Apeness from the TAC Cup Premiership winning Eastern Ranges. The close friend of Tom Boyd rose to astronomical levels this year in Boyd’s absence, and has become one of the bigger draft bolters into the first round that has been described by a recruiter as “readymade to impact next year”. Given the Dockers’ window is open, and their need for another key forward to play alongside Matthew Pavlich, could Apeness be an option?
If not, Zak Jones, Blake Acres and Matt Crouch have also been considered here, too.
P.S. Word is (another name for made -up bull twang) that if Freeman or Lennon slip to WC they may choose them over Sheed. Would certainly hope we take Sheed over Jones or Crouch.

Her selection in her Phantom draft. Hope she is right. We got Gumbleton to help Pavlich this year.
Pick 17 – FREMANTLE

Darcy Gardiner

Club: Geelong Falcons
D.O.B.: 22.9.1995
Height: 193cm
Weight: 85kg
Position: Key Defender
Plays Like: Cale Hooker/Michael Hurley

With a lack of key talls in this year’s draft, Darcy Gardiner presents himself as the number one key defender of the lot this draft. With the ageing Luke McPharlin and Michael Johnson, Gardiner is the type of player who’ll become the number one key defender in a few years’ time, complimenting Tanner Smith. Gardiner in every word, is a beauty; he can play a variety of roles as a backman, but none better than his ability to play a lock-down role on the oppositions number one player. Famously known for being the only player to quell the influence of big Tom Boyd, Gardiner is as a strong as an ox, and is very physical and always relishes a one-on-one contest, and isn’t afraid of being dragged deep into the square. Gardiner can also play higher up the ground at centre half back, as he has a superb fitness base, and good athleticism to cover the ground and play a close-checking game. Gardiner knows when to stay and when to go, and demonstrated throughout the TAC Cup finals series that he was more than capable of leaving his direct opponent, to impact another contest, or even push off to provide an attacking option. Also has displayed the ability to push forward where he has a strong impact on the scoreboard. What I love about Gardiner the most, is that unlike most defenders, he isn’t afraid of distributing the ball by foot – where he is quite a polished kick. His hands in close are quick and direct, and his marking ability – whether out in front, down low, contested or overhead are ultra-impressive.
Other Prospects: The Dockers have been linked closely with Darcy Gardiner, but there is also quite a bit to play out given the Dockers really love Zak Jones and Zach Merrett. Given the premiership window is open, the Dockers may opt to bring in ready-made key forward-come-ruckman, Michael Apeness with this pick – who would provide some relief for Matthew Pavlich, and really play into the hands of Chris Mayne as the third tall.

Pick 37 – FREMANTLE

Mitch Thorp

Club: South Launceston
D.O.B: 25.12.1988
Height: 194cm
Weight: 94kg
Position: Key Forward
Plays Like: Mitch Clark

The absolute icing on the cake for the Dockers would be selection estbalish key forward, Mitch Thorp – who was famously selected at pick 6 for Hawthorn in the 2006 draf, perhaps better known for being the player rated higher than Joel Selwood! Nonetheless, since captain/coaching South Launceston to a premiership this year in the TSL, as well as taking home the league’s best and fairest, Mitch Thorp – now 24 is a different man and player since being drafted, and then abruputly dumped by the Hawks. A gun forward capable of winning games off his own boot, Thorp has a big aerobic base and offers the ability to take big pack marks as well as be agile enough to roam a ground-level ball and find his way through to goal. He could be the missing link that helps Fremantle win it’s first premiership.

Would be happy with that 3.

Pick 58 – FREMANTLE

Nick Bourke

Club: Geelong Falcons
D.O.B.: 22.2.1995
Height: 188cm
Weight: 80kg
Position: Medium Midfielder/Utility
Plays Like: Scott Thompson

Big bodied Nick Bourke offers a lot of variety in the way that he plays. Bourke has elite athleticism which means he is a constant struggle to match up on for opposition teams. Playing largely as a wingman in 2013, Bourke is a brilliant kick of the footy, and his strong body means he can often iron out any would-be tackler, thanks to a strong build and centre of gravity which sees him rarely tackled. I love his physical brand of football, coupled with brilliant disposal and a whopping kick, Bourke also has a solid running game and could be utilised off a back or forward flank. Although he had his injury issues during the year, it won’t harm his draft stocks and Fremantle could get a diamond in the rough here in Bourke, who also has a terrific character.

What is Tom Vandeleur's draft range he looks good.

Chris 25 has written this about him
37. Fremantle - Tom Vandeleur (191cm, 90kg defender - South Fremantle)

If you purely looked at his statistics, then you probably wouldn't be overly impressed - averaging only 14 disposals in the WAFL Colts, and in his two U18 Championships games he managed just the 8 touches. But, his season has been hampered by injury and he has always impressed when he has made it onto the ground. So much so, that he has made his league debut for South Fremantle. And in a draft when the depth in talls isn't the best, teams could be tempted to take a chance on someone like Vandeleur. In fact, it wouldn't surprise me if he went even earlier than the third round. There is just something there that suggests with a couple of years, he'll develop into a real player. Playing at CHB, first and foremost he reads the play very well. He seems to know where to position himself, and also where to run. As a rebounder, he moves well and has good foot skills. I could see him developing into a Michael Johnson type defender - playing as a second/third tall, and calmly moving the ball out of the back lines.

All this discussion will be ultimately futile. We all know deep down that we will nab a mid with our first pick.

Its an almost statistical certainty. The majority of good players are in the 180-186cm range - I would guess at about 80% at least. That means with our policy of taking best available the odds are well and truly stacked against us getting a tall with our first pick.

Unless, of course, Bond suddenly grows the cojones to take a punt on a tall.

Yep I agree...

You know as well as everyone else knows. For the past 6 years, freo has taken the best available in the draft. All 6 guys freo have got with their 1st pick has been a midfielder.

My gut feeling now is Freo will choose Jono Marsh or Acres as pick 17... I get this gut feeling as well that there might be a repeat of last season. Freo wanted mason shaw but port got him 3 picks before us and got Tanner Smith instead. My gut feeling is McCarthy will be picked up in the mid 30s and Freo will use pick 37 on a Mitch Harvey or Cameron Giles who are both key forwards from SA.

Yep I agree...

You know as well as everyone else knows. For the past 6 years, freo has taken the best available in the draft. All 6 guys freo have got with their 1st pick has been a midfielder.

My gut feeling now is Freo will choose Jono Marsh or Acres as pick 17... I get this gut feeling as well that there might be a repeat of last season. Freo wanted mason shaw but port got him 3 picks before us and got Tanner Smith instead. My gut feeling is McCarthy will be picked up in the mid 30s and Freo will use pick 37 on a Mitch Harvey or Cameron Giles who are both key forwards from SA.

surely Brisbane would use one of their three picks in the 20's on McCarthy if he slips that low

Remove this Banner Ad

Name the KPF/KPD you'd like us to get with our first pick

Remove this Banner Ad

Back