Zarrix

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 15, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Everton
Best-Dennis:Thought he was better a few years back, but still is no.1 due to the dearth of competition. Honourable mentions to Bucks and Darcy who will only become better over time.

Worst-Blight.Why not the ox? Well at least the ox provides some comedic relief, Blight just seems completely lost sometimes and makes no sense at all. Honourable mentions go to Ox and Walls. The former makes no sense at all, but as said before, his comedic value prevents him from being the worst. Walls is too negative and at times comes off as a lesser version of Blight.

Tim Lane Best.
Easily worst= MALCOLM BLIGHT......get rid of him!! if i here him start another sentence with "you know what i think......" ill lose it! always goes on talking bout irrelevant crap whilst the game is on.

I'm going top 3 for each.

Best:
BT - Mixes entertainment and real footy commentating to perfection.

Dennis - Has been very good for a long time.

Anthony Hudson - Bit of a different one. Gets the job done and is easy on the ears.

Worst:
Michael Voss - Hate the way he seems to talk down to the viewer. Shoves his opinion down your thought. Too much arrogance.

Tony Shaw - Never admits to being wrong, even when it's obvious he has no idea what is going on.

Bruce - I used to love Bruce, but since Ch.7 have got the footy back, he seems a bit flat. Doesn't ever seem to have any excitement in his voice. Has he lost his passion? Probably doesn't deserve to be in the top 3 worst but I believe it needed to be stated as it is ruining my viewing more than anything.

not enough hate for John Casey... has such an annoying and boring voice, and sometimes has trouble identifying players

id listen to Blight commentate 50 games before i hear casey again, absolute tool

Should not be judging special comments and play by play people at the same time.

Play by play:

Best - Brian Taylor

Worst - Dwayne Russel

Special Comments:

Best - Nathan Buckley

Worst - Robert Walls. The Ox and Pickering also worth a mention. Both are horrible.

Best:

Triple M commentary team
Luke Darcy
Nathan Buckley
Dennis Cometti
Huddo

Worst:

Robert Walls (biased Carlton fool, likes to take credit for anything that happens on the field)

Tim Lane (see point 1 above)

Michael Christian (doesn't have a good commentary voice)

Stephen Quartermain (unbearable during Hawthorn matches)

The Ox (too many grunts and groans throughout the telecast, not very insightful)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

not enough hate for John Casey... has such an annoying and boring voice, and sometimes has trouble identifying players

id listen to Blight commentate 50 games before i hear casey again, absolute tool

You also forgot that when a goal is kicked he acts like its the best thing since sliced bread :rolleyes:, Matthew Campbell worth a mention

I rate radio commentators way more than their TV counterparts so I'll go for:

Best: Karl Langdon, Smoky Dawson

Worst: Basil Zempilas [when on], Robert Walls, QuarterBrain, Watson...list goes on

Commetti is still good but fading slowly.

In Memoriam: Clinton Grybas....he was the best of all

I struggle to answer why...

Australia is one of the most sport obsessed nations in the world, yet our commentators are probably THE worst of any western country or almost any country even. It was proven when seven's Beijing coverage, they used TV personalities instead of former sportspeople (for the most) and it was crap. A bit different in AFL but a lot of former players (Bucks, Darcy, Dunstall etc) commentate quite well but then you got the really bad ones (Ox, Voss isnt that good, Blight).

But despite the occasionally good one, the standard is very poor with a lot of really poor randoms and random former players commentating and adding nothing to the game. It should be better in Australia than that.

I struggle to answer why...

Australia is one of the most sport obsessed nations in the world, yet our commentators are probably THE worst of any western country or almost any country even. It was proven when seven's Beijing coverage, they used TV personalities instead of former sportspeople (for the most) and it was crap. A bit different in AFL but a lot of former players (Bucks, Darcy, Dunstall etc) commentate quite well but then you got the really bad ones (Ox, Voss isnt that good, Blight).

But despite the occasionally good one, the standard is very poor with a lot of really poor randoms and random former players commentating and adding nothing to the game. It should be better in Australia than that.

Sort of see what you're saying in that we have plenty of crap ones. But it's pretty subjective at the end of the day and no different to say the US. I post at a few big NBA boards and they are always going on about certain commentators and media personalities that they can't stand for Basketball, Gridiron and Baseball.

Best: Bristle and Jim-Bob, Cometti, the big guy from W.A makes me laugh with his squeaky high pitched voice, Buckley, weirdly i don't mind Walls

Worst: Heaps here.... Tim Lane, Rex, Maclure, Hudson, Jakovich, Russell, Blight

Best: Dennis Commetti and Bruce McAvaney.

Worst: Dwayne Russell easily, get the same from him every match, whiny little voice, same ridiculous calls -"That's a gem" or... "He's in trouble, DEAD".

Also Jackovich is terrible too.

Remove this Banner Ad

Name your Best and Worst Commentators

Remove this Banner Ad

Back