Naming the baby..help me out here people!

Remove this Banner Ad

Take the siuox indian method.

they name babies after the next thing they see after the kids at home.

thats how they get named white cloud,thunder cloud,running deer,little wolf,running bear,2 dogs rooting etc.

it works for them anyway.

snappytom said:
Take the siuox indian method.

they name babies after the next thing they see after the kids at home.

thats how they get named white cloud,thunder cloud,running deer,little wolf,running bear,2 dogs rooting etc.

it works for them anyway.
LOL - the poor kid will end up with a name like Foxtel or Oprah! :D

JeffDunne said:
LOL - the poor kid will end up with a name like Foxtel or Oprah! :D
Or Big Footy! Hey thanks everyone,sat in front of the computer cracking up at some of the responses,some worth considering though as well,log on around May 26 next year and i just may have an answer for you all. Will hopefully bring some joy into the life of this frustrated supporter,as i'm not getting my expectations too high for the Brown and Golds in 2005. Cheers.

My sprogs name is Tarkyn, and it seems to be working a treat. I spoke to Tarkyn Lockyers Mum who said it was Swedish and mean sswift and fair. We were a tad worried about my folks reaction to the name at first and told them it was olde Scottish. My Mum refered to him as "that child" for while, but loves it now.

Another suggestion, and I am serious, is Hoss. This name is too good not to have another life. Of course this assumes a boy.

The Fanatic said:
G'day all,my other half and i are expecting our first child in late May,have settled on a girls name but as for a name if it's a boy..? I may be a mad Hawk but i'm an admirer of players from all clubs. What i want you guys/girls to do is to help me out with a name for my young gun should it have a spout. It can be your favourite player,past player,whatever or even just a name you think is cool. All contributions gratefully accepted,be looking forward to hearing your thoughts.
Cheers,TF.
  1. Dont do trendy names "Crystal" or Rhiannon" anyone?
  2. If possible keep it to one syllable.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Congratulations, we hade our first son a month ago and called him Zade.

Hopefully it goes as well for you as it did for me.

Hopefully the boy will have his fathers athletic ability, but develop a football brain before he turns 25.

I found it harder naming the girl than the boy Nick and Luke for the boys then when two syllables with the girl Sofia - I really like Vince for a boy can also go by the name Vinnie, there something about Frank too - I always thought it would be cool to have a baby and say hey frankie!

I had an ancestor in the 1800's who was named Leaper (hence my BF name). I always thought what a great name for a full forward or CHF. Sounds good Leaper Randle. I can just hear Dennis now.

As a teacher I know that most kids liked normal names and hated it if they had to repeat their name when someone introduced them. Also names that are trendy can be used to work out someone's age which is not always desirable. I suggest you stick to a strong , normal masculine name such as Stephen, Simon, Matthew, Mark etc

Annabelle said:
As a teacher I know that most kids liked normal names and hated it if they had to repeat their name when someone introduced them.

Even though I like some of the unusual names I have to say that's true. I have a pretty unusual name (My name is Freya - the "e" is pronunced "a") and although I don't mind my name I get sick of having to repeat it all the time, especially when people always think my name is Fran!

I think kids should have unusual names. In fact I hate the idea of all the Peters and Johns running around the place. For a start they are actually used because of there Biblical derivation, which has a declining relevance in our society. Also we are a culturally diverse place and the easiest way to see that is through peoples names.... Oh yeah, and the multitude of great restaurants.... And of course by opening your eyes as you walk down the street and notice the racial minglings.

theGav56 said:
I think kids should have unusual names. In fact I hate the idea of all the Peters and Johns running around the place. For a start they are actually used because of there Biblical derivation, which has a declining relevance in our society. Also we are a culturally diverse place and the easiest way to see that is through peoples names.... Oh yeah, and the multitude of great restaurants.... And of course by opening your eyes as you walk down the street and notice the racial minglings.
Children should have names that mean something. They should be given family names, the names of deceased ancesters, the names of persons important to the family e.g. the bloke who saved Dad's life in the war, the woman who helped Mum out when she really needed it and became a life long friend and, if the family's religious, names of biblical characters or saints. That's far better for the child than giving him/her a name because it's unusual or different.

Marshal for a boy & Sweet for a girl.

I do like Brian Lara's method of naming his kids. He names them after his great innings eg Sydney. I cannot wait until he scores a triple century at the WACA.

Remove this Banner Ad

Naming the baby..help me out here people!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back